College GPA

Blu T

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question regarding college gpa. Do medical schools only look at the grades you received from the premed courses? If not, then what else do they look at and which ones do they focus on more? Also, if I didn't do so well in one of my academic courses (lets say C+ average in beginning english or psychology), but it's not premed related, will the medical schools look down on that?

-Blu T :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

No, medical schools will look at all of your grades. Additionally, your classes will be divided into BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics) GPA and an Overall GPA, which will include the grades from all courses you have taken. Though I do not have any factual evidence, I would assume that medical scools would focus more on the BCPM GPA as there is a seperate GPA for courses that fall in one of those 4 categories. However, you should note that you will need to excel in all of your courses, as the admissions process is very competitive.

Since you are still in high school, I will offer you some college advice. If you really want to attend medical school, don't screw around when you get to college. If you focus on obtaining the highest possible GPA, then you are off to an excellent start. A "C" will not hurt you in the admissions process, as long as your other grades are excellent.

Best of :luck:.

This is good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I have a question regarding college gpa. Do medical schools only look at the grades you received from the premed courses? If not, then what else do they look at and which ones do they focus on more? Also, if I didn't do so well in one of my academic courses (lets say C+ average in beginning english or psychology), but it's not premed related, will the medical schools look down on that?

-Blu T :laugh:

I 'third' what Thrombomodulin said. Do well in everything. There are many of us in med-school, especially non-trads, who didn't do their best in college, and when applying for medical school it made life more difficult. Make sure you are ready to commit to your studies, which sounds easy coming out of HS - but you'll be faced with a social life you've never experienced before. Read that as FREEDOM you've never had.

That said, the HS->college->med school sequence doesn't require a rapid fire sequence. Be sure you take time to enjoy your high-school and college years - maybe even hold a job for a while after college and before med-school (if your numbers - GPA and MCAT are great, this will strengthen your application) but please, please, do not fall into the black hole of equating fun with partying. Partying can be done - but you must put your studies first. You must also realize that the MD isn't just a title or a job -> to get there you'll need to go through some trying times.

I think others, with less than perfect numbers and mistakes in their past can back me up on those words - even if mistakes = picking the wrong career the 1st time ;)

High School GPA only matters when getting into college and pre-admission scholarships there. For medical school, high school is of zero importance. Once you're in college, get A's (3.6 or higher), do good on your MCAT (30+, and for that I would HIGHLY recommend a KAPLAN MCAT study course!), volunteer early, do research early, and try to get some medical experience somehow (nurse assistant, phlebotomy, etc., etc.). That's what I did and it worked - I was accepted into med school straight out of college. Good luck!