College choice and being active duty enlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeSynced

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone here.
I'm currently a Hospital Corpsman in the US Navy, and I'm halfway done with my 5 year enlistment. I'm currently stationed at Camp Pendleton, at a Marine Corps command. Last June I started my pursuit of a Bachelors in Biology at National University, a local private/non-profit school. National University is an Online/Classroom mixed college. It should be noted that my classes come 1 at a time in 1-2 month periods (quarter-credits), and my science classes are attended in person. The only classes I can take online are my prerequisites. I also currently have a 3.7 GPA that I'm improving on, and have 70 out of 180 quarter credits required for the degree (I received 30 credits for all my military qualifications on elective classes). I'm just concerned my school will look like a "degree mill", and get black listed even though the school has its credentials
My question is what would be the most likely scenario if I applied to a medical school once I separated? Should I put my college on hold and try to transfer once separated in 2 years, even though I should graduate early at 23 if I don't? Are there certain routes I should look into? Any advice is welcome.

If you take a quick look at niche the website you can find my schools stats, and tell me your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not put college on hold, but you should do your prereqs in a face-to-face setting. Some medical schools will not accept prereqs that were completed online. I completed all of my major coursework online and took prereqs face-to-face and had no issues getting in. It was kind of weird sitting around other interviewees who had Ivy League colleges on their name tags and I had my small public university.

Reactions: 1 user