College applications question

Witless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I'm planning on doing a significant amount of job shadowing to explore possible careers in clinical professions. If I were to include this in a college application, would it go under volunteering or extracurriculars?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'm planning to put mine under extracurriculars

Members don't see this ad :)
WAIT..... wOOOOOOOOOOOOH

You can get credit from shadowing?

Or in better terms, use it as credit?

Extracurriculars. It's not volunteering because you're not really "helping" anyone, other than the business. In other words, it's not really a philanthropic venture, which is what most people would consider "volunteering."

Ah, okay. Thanks for the insight.

Now my next question is: do I list each person I've shadowed individually or clump it all together?

It depends on your approach. If you can meaningfully discuss each experience individually, then list them individually. If you're trying to emphasize your general experience in the "real world," then list them as a block and highlight the individual experiences. I would NOT list them separately simply to take up more space on an application. You have to demonstrate that you took something away from your experiences; whatever format allows you to do that, use it.

Hmm, okay. Thanks!

Last one, I promise: are voice lessons considered an extracurricular or no?

Hmm, okay. Thanks!

Last one, I promise: are voice lessons considered an extracurricular or no?

I'm going to assume that you were the one giving voice lessons. I would put it under ECs. If it were me personally giving one on one voice lessons for free, it would be a EC. If I were giving voice lessons under a large voice recording company (or the like), then I would put it as volunteering. For the most part, volunteering is generally when you are working (for free) under: organizations, hospitals, schools, nursing homes, etc.