Cold feet about specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolready95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it normal to have cold feet about one's chosen specialty? It just seems like I won't truly know if the field I chose will be a good fit until I'm at least a few months into residency. I've done 2 months of elective in the specialty and a decent amount of research and really did enjoy it all..but now that my eras application has been submitted, I find myself wondering, what if there's another specialty out there I'd enjoy more? What if my exposure wasn't a real representation of the field? I am a relatively competitive applicant who applied to a non-competitive specialty and as dumb as this sounds, I feel like this plays a role in how I am feeling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the day, it's just a job. There are many jobs you'd probably be happy in as the above poster said.

Most people hate their job. You're going to like yours and be very well compensated. You're in a great position and I'm sure you made a good choice.

Reactions: 1 users