Coding COVID patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I share your frustration with the unvaccinated , but at my place about 1/4 of our admissions, 1/5 vents and 1/6 of deaths are fully vaccinated … I feel especially bad for those vaxxed folks who appear by time course to have caught covid in our waiting room and then do poorly 😕
When you post stuff like this, please include the context that those vaccinated patients who are getting admitted and dying are essentially all immunocompromised (transplant/cancer/chronic steroid use).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
when it mattered most he was surrounded by medical professionals that cared.

regarding your lack of concern for the suffering of a patient and his family

I would like to suggest that it's very difficult to determine whether or not someone else "cares" from these posts and that making assumptions about other's internal states is not usually a good way to advance a conversation.

It is possible (perhaps likely) these are people who are frustrated and angry BECAUSE they care.

Reactions: 3 users
All in favor of locking this forum to practicing attendings, residents, and medical students????

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you post stuff like this, please include the context that those vaccinated patients who are getting admitted and dying are essentially all immunocompromised (transplant/cancer/chronic steroid use).
I think most people ( at least those who are working clinically in emergency departments) know that… also they are on average like 10 years older .. just responding to the statement that “anyone who is coding on the vent from covid brought it on themselves” which I do not agree with.

Reactions: 1 user
Multiple physicians and nurses in my family have worked on the frontlines in the past two years, some have caught covid, some have worked in regions with almost no beds available. Thought I would share an account of a rare positive outcome of a coding covid patient to show that your efforts aren’t always in vain, since this is what this thread was about. Seems like some would like to restrict my presence from this forum for sharing this information. Also would like to state that I was not the one that brought up the topic of empathy or morality into this discussion.

Multiple physicians and nurses in my family have worked on the frontlines in the past two years, some have caught covid, some have worked in regions with almost no beds available. Thought I would share an account of a rare positive outcome of a coding covid patient to show that your efforts aren’t always in vain, since this is what this thread was about. Seems like some would like to restrict my presence from this forum for sharing this information. Also would like to state that I was not the one that brought up the topic of empathy or morality into this discussion.
Actually the negative reactions you got were from telling actual physicians that they don’t care or are disappointing and implying they lack empathy.

Reactions: 1 users
D8C225F2-A3B5-49AB-B46E-FC53A84A6368.jpeg

3 years into this and despite all the evidence, folks keep refusing to use the smallest effort to not infect others, to not take up room in the hospital causing CVAs, MIs, traumas to get delayed (if any) care.

If they don’t have empathy for others, I am happy to walk in, tell them they are idiots (which I have done), and go order the Remdesivir etc that has even less data behind it than the vaccine… if they die, it may mean gramps get his cath.

Across all of our hospitals as of today:

275/382 Covid admissions are unvaccinated (72%)

54/72 Covid ICU are unvaccinated (75%)

31/40 Covid patients on ventilators are unvaccinated (78%)

Scary **** out there.
Stay safe you all.
Hope for a better New Year.

Would be interesting to see 2 vs 3 dose data on your ICU patients.

There are other infectious diseases besides Covid, and the AHA didn't issue a Covid CPR statement -- they issued a broad statement not to delay PPE in ANY patient. Blood all over the chest? Well start doing compressions without gloves. That's basically what they've said by not clarifying.
I'm just curious (ignoring the guidelines for a second), are any of you walking around your EDs unmasked and without eye protection for every single patient encounter?

I'm just curious (ignoring the guidelines for a second), are any of you walking around your EDs unmasked and without eye protection for every single patient encounter?
Honestly pretty much everyone in my ED has only been wearing a surgical mask for everything. For around a year now at least. Tubes, lines, codes, etc. Probably not the right move but we're insanely busy and it's just too time consuming. Figured most EDs were like that now but apparently not judging by all the outrage.

Honestly pretty much everyone in my ED has only been wearing a surgical mask for everything. For around a year now at least. Tubes, lines, codes, etc. Probably not the right move but we're insanely busy and it's just too time consuming. Figured most EDs were like that now but apparently not judging by all the outrage.
Same. Pretty much everyone in our ED is only wearing a surgical mass.

View attachment 347501

3 years into this and despite all the evidence, folks keep refusing to use the smallest effort to not infect others, to not take up room in the hospital causing CVAs, MIs, traumas to get delayed (if any) care.

If they don’t have empathy for others, I am happy to walk in, tell them they are idiots (which I have done), and go order the Remdesivir etc that has even less data behind it than the vaccine… if they die, it may mean gramps get his cath.

Well, obviously since there's at least 1 unvaccinated patient on a vent, the vaccine doesn't work... which is why you need to a Communist advertising campaign to force this experimental vaccine and microchip on us good, God fearing AMERICANS! If only those poor people had gotten FDA approved HCQ and Ivermectin, then they wouldn't be on the ventilator!

/Poe's Law.

Well, obviously since there's at least 1 unvaccinated patient on a vent, the vaccine doesn't work... which is why you need to a Communist advertising campaign to force this experimental vaccine and microchip on us good, God fearing AMERICANS! If only those poor people had gotten FDA approved HCQ and Ivermectin, then they wouldn't be on the ventilator!

/Poe's Law.

😂😂… but not really ‘cos this is exactly how so many of them “think”.

I have been using seat-belt analogy.
Do you know someone who died while wearing a seat-belt?
Does that mean seat-belts don’t work?

I’m still trying to get FauxNews banned from the hospital, but alas too many of my colleagues also believe in so much of what spews from cesspool

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone in my ED wears at least a surgical mask at all times. Maybe 20% are in an N95 for the entire shift. I have a reusable N95 which I wear for every patient encounter regardless of complaint. Regular surgical mask while at my desk. I almost never wear eye protection unless I plan on intubating or otherwise looking inside a patients mouth.

We are required to wear masks. I never wear an N95 anymore. I technically can’t because I have a beard….but for the first 6-9 months of the pandemic I shaved it down to a goatee so I could wear one. I have since grown one back.

If I have to get into a patients mouth for some reason (like a dental procedure or intubate) then I’ll wear a CAPR. I’ve done the about 5 times this past year. Occasionally I’ll wear an eye shield if there are copious secretions and they may have COVID.