"Cockroach" ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chronic Student

So Fresh, So Clean
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This just seemed the most appropriate place to ask this question as you guys see all sorts of crazy ****.

We are taking care of a guy with multiple brain hemorrhages who took some sort of drug cocktail that his sister described as a "Cockroach" and she says that it contained Draino.

Does anyone know what she is talking about or whats in it?

Please forgive my ignorance, I thought I was a stud when I figured out what "Cotton fever" was.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, I live in Houston - the home of 'syrup' culture - and only just figured out what "Purple Drank" is.

And only because the major Houston paper told me.

I am a loser.

Cockroach is normally used as a verb in drug culture to refer to the act of extracting the last little smokable bit out of a joint using some type of holder to allow the smoker to smoke without burning her fingers. This is where the term "roach clip" comes from.

Not sure how it fits in with the story here, since it would not really be a cocktail of drugs, and certainly wouldn't involve drano.

Members don't see this ad :)
Naw thats not it. I'm not that lame, I may have seen a 'roach' or two or three in my life.

This was a liquid concoction and one of its ingredients was Draino.

P.S. the guy was from Ohio traveling west, maybe that will help if its a regional thing.

-Mike

I was looking for an answer for this (on a random search on the internet) and found this:
The color change displayed by a mixture of Drano and urine from a pregnant woman will predict the sex of the unborn child.
Of course, it was saying it was a false claim, but I learned something new. Or at least a new claim someone may have.

Did she indicate why he took it? Pleasure or some other reason?

Any other symptoms? V/S, physical, or lab abnormalities? Do we know anything about what kind of high he was going for? What form was this drug in and how did he take it.

I wouldn't put much stock in the "Draino" comment without knowing more about it. Drug users are notorious for not knowing jack about what they are taking. Frankly, a lot of drug chemistry requires a strong base, and draino fits the bill quite well.

Dude, I live in Houston - the home of 'syrup' culture - and only just figured out what "Purple Drank" is.

I am a loser.

You need to listen to more of our southside rap then ;]. Weren't you in Houston when DJ Screw died? I'm pretty sure that made the papers.

What area of Houston do you practice in?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsoMVxtKlGM[/YOUTUBE]

Any other symptoms? V/S, physical, or lab abnormalities? Do we know anything about what kind of high he was going for? What form was this drug in and how did he take it.

I wouldn't put much stock in the "Draino" comment without knowing more about it. Drug users are notorious for not knowing jack about what they are taking. Frankly, a lot of drug chemistry requires a strong base, and draino fits the bill quite well.

Systolic BP's over 200, tachycardia, creatinine was fairly elevated, WBC count in the 30's. He also apparently took some percocets at the same time. He was traveling cross-country on a bus. Thats about all I know.

The ER basically started out with the vet work-up as all they had to go on was man found down, guy behind him on the bus gave us what little info I gave you.

He may have easily misunderstood or gotten something mixed-up.

-Mike

I just spit water out of my nose when I noticed the OPs screen name

I am a loser.

You mean Sizzurp? P-Flav? Mrs. Drankelworth's? Drankenstein? Purple Tang? Memphis Mud?

I actually didn't know what was in Purple Drank either until I just looked it up. On Wikipedia, no less. So I'm a bigger loser than you, don't worry.

:confused: Cockroach: - colloquial term for LSD on paper

According to the A-Z Encyclopedia of Alcohol and Drug Abuse by Tomas Nordegren...

No mention of "Draino"

I've never heard anyone refer to blotter as cockroach, my best bet is the sister or the person that made the cocktail came up with the name themselves.

Given the fluidity of drug slang and culture along with the rarity of LSD, "cockroach" could easily mean something else.

It sounds like the guy presented in a sympathomimetic crisis. The differential is broad if you are looking for the exact agent, but likely some sort of amphetamine derivative or mixture. LSD could also cause it. Sympathmimmetics are well know to cause brain bleeds with hypertensive crises. Unfortuanately even with the extra info, Google searches are still for naught.

Any other info? Any physical exam finding? Drug screens? Maybe even an HPLC or GC/MS?

?
I think I'm picking up what your throwin' down...not sure though

The vet work-up is when you cast your net very, very wide in terms of testing (i.e., shotgun, the works, whole body CT, the panel panel, etc) and is sometimes done with an unconscious/uncommunicative patient with little or no witnesses or family to ID a problem.

Originally posted by BADMD: "Given the fluidity of drug slang and culture along with the rarity of LSD, "cockroach" could easily mean something else.

It sounds like the guy presented in a sympathomimetic crisis. The differential is broad if you are looking for the exact agent, but likely some sort of amphetamine derivative or mixture. LSD could also cause it. Sympathmimmetics are well know to cause brain bleeds with hypertensive crises. Unfortuanately even with the extra info, Google searches are still for naught.

Any other info? Any physical exam finding? Drug screens? Maybe even an HPLC or GC/MS?"

We're in a small/med size community hospital and don't have many lab resources and I came in on the butt-end of the case as I just recently had surgery and don't know the entire story.

I just thought maybe somebody had heard of it as I did not find much in a search. More than likely the kid made it up or someone heard him wrong, or it least it seems like it.

-Mike