coat pocket check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjb305

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so just a real quick question to see what everyone thinks...

what should i have in my pockets that will help out this year? specifically i start ICU night float tomorrow and wanna be ready to not kill patients

Members don't see this ad.

what should i have in my pockets that will help out this year? specifically i start ICU night float tomorrow and wanna be ready to not kill patients

Vital: Penlight, two cheap pends (to loan out) and one good one, an ACLS card, at least 500 calories worth of food (cliff bar + protein bar), and a stethoscope (if its not around your neck).

Helpful: a pocket pharm book (if you don't use your phone), one of the various 'pocket guides' to medicine, a reflex hammer, four Dayquil, half a dozen caffeine pills, whatever supplies are hardest to find on your floor (otoscope/hemeoccult/gause/measuring tape/trauma shears/whatever), some $1 bills (for vending machines), and maybe a smartphone/Ipad/kindle.

Avoid: Reference texts, multiple electronic devices, enough $ that you'd care if it was stolen, or any combination of non-vital items that makes you feel more like a Sherpa than a physician.

Here's what I carried the whole year--2 pens, a white coat clipboard, a copy of pocket medicine, and a stethoscope. That's all you really need. A penlight is definitely useful, but I kept losing mine (...people kept taking it) so I finally decided to give up and track down a penlight when I needed it. Also--a smartphone with an updated version of epocrates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I carry a stethoscope, my phone, a 14ga angiocath, a bougie, an 11 blade, and my own small pocket notebook I have compiled throughout my training. And I have a good pair of OR goggles, I dont like faceshield masks.

smartphone (with any notes/pocketguides you need on it), some pens and your list. You'll feel better if you keep it light.

Survivor DO

smartphone (with any notes/pocketguides you need on it), some pens and your list. You'll feel better if you keep it light.

Survivor DO

I wish I could travel that light. I still drag a backpack to the workroom every day.

I would recommend an ACLS card for even the least Sherpa-like, though.

Steth around neck. Penlight, pens and smartphone in front pocket.

I really don't think anyone really needs those pocket books anymore with the interwebz and all.

While I don't disagree with the above, it's the stupid little things that can save you. Like those little red caps that fit on every catheter port in the hospital. Or a spare pair of gloves. Or lube. And alcohol/iodine swabs. 4x4s. And lots of tape.

ACLS card, steth, reflex hammer, Definitely Maxwells little book, the MGH book (meh...on a good day), some coffee and a cheezeburger

I'm in the icu right now. I carry a pen, penlight, stethoscope, and patient list. ACLS card might be helpful too. Best to keep it light...your back will appreciate it.

i have teh MGH book, patient list, stethoscope, pens, phone, lip balm, ahnd lotion, mints

oh! and maxwells and tarascons pharmacopeia book (sp?).. smartphone doesnt work everywhere in the hospital.

Survivor DO

Can't believe it took that long to mention the list. As an intern, The List, is the most important thing. Especially for any sort of night float. The other option? The Cards.

20-blade
stethoscope
Black pen, red pen
Cellphone with epocrates and flashlight app
The List or The Cards