Coast Guard/Retirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoadingMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone joined the United States Coast Guard? I am currently considering joining the Coast Guard active duty for 10 years and then transitioning over to either Air National guard or reserves.

The reason for this is the 10 years I am in I can save for retirement. I can put about 50% of all my pay and allowances into a retirement fund so when I get out at the age of 35-36 I will have a decent amount of cash saved up for retirement and then I was going to get my RN license after getting out and working as a registered nurse untilI I am 60 years old and putting in about 15% of my check into the savings as well. During this time I will work in the Air National Guard working towards my retirement. My question is do you feel this is a good idea or should I just neglect this and stick with getting my paramedic now in the civilian world and going Air national guard while working at the fire department? I am just worried I will not be able to retire with a good amount of savings. Is it possible to achieve my paramedic while in the Coast Guard? Thank you to anyone who reads this.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone joined the United States Coast Guard? I am currently considering joining the Coast Guard active duty for 10 years and then transitioning over to either Air National guard or reserves.

The reason for this is the 10 years I am in I can save for retirement. I can put about 50% of all my pay and allowances into a retirement fund so when I get out at the age of 35-36 I will have a decent amount of cash saved up for retirement and then I was going to get my RN license after getting out and working as a registered nurse untilI I am 60 years old and putting in about 15% of my check into the savings as well. During this time I will work in the Air National Guard working towards my retirement. My question is do you feel this is a good idea or should I just neglect this and stick with getting my paramedic now in the civilian world and going Air national guard while working at the fire department? I am just worried I will not be able to retire with a good amount of savings. Is it possible to achieve my paramedic while in the Coast Guard? Thank you to anyone who reads this.

why not obtain your EMT-P license and work for a city/county/state? some have good pension/benefits

why not obtain your EMT-P license and work for a city/county/state? some have good pension/benefits

I understand what you are saying and my biggest concern is majority of Fire Departments here in the State of Georgia requires you to "atleast" work 30 years to recieve some form of retirement. I know me personally I do not want to work for a fire department full-time for 30 years unless I had too. My ultimate goal was to become a nurse but decided to take my paramedic route first because here in Georgia we have schools that have Paramedic bridge programs that are a year long and only require attendance once a week. This allows me to work while pursuing my nursing degree which at the same time I understand its slower but I wanted to work and I couldn't wait anymore. I hated the feeling of being 25 years old going to nursing school and not having a job due to the school having us to come to class five days a week on top of clincals. It just was not doable for a working environment.

My biggest concern is when I turn 60-65 I do not want to have to worry that I may till have to work because my retirement will not be good enough. I want to become a nurse and then eventually possibly a NP but that is still up to debate with myself. I would love to get my nursing and become a flight nurse but thats just a goal. Thanks for replying to my post man!

Members don't see this ad :)
I find posting this topic on a forum for medical students (from pre-med through attendings) to be an interesting choice since you have no desire to go to medical school.

I find posting this topic on a forum for medical students (from pre-med through attendings) to be an interesting choice since you have no desire to go to medical school.

Thank you for your input. I posted this in Finance and investment. Yes this is a medical webiste and I may not be pursing medical school. I am planning on pursing my Nursing degree or PA. Right now I am just weighing my options for the best choices to reach these goals. I apologize if this was unexpected.

Where you planning on the Air National Guard being full time job?
My Air National guard unit had no full time EMT slots, only traditional guardsmen (read that weekend warrior) slots. There may be some full time EMT slots, around the country, but I'm guessing that they are very rare.

Last edited:
Where you planning on the Air National Guard being full time job?
My Air National guard unit had no full time EMT slots, only traditional guardsmen (read that weekend warrior) slots. There may be some full time EMT slots, around the country, but I'm guessing that they are very rare.

I honestly am not sure what the benefits are for full-time air national guard. I wasactually looking towards the part-time benefits. Just trying to figure out if its worth it or not.

Why not rotc? Free school. Active duty officer while saving money. Then NP school while in reserves. That would set you up to be NP at 28 and in the reserves.

Last edited: