CNA and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fay8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just started working as a nursing assistant in an assisted living facility.. It's rewarding, but tiring caring for 10+ people on your shift. My phone is constantly ringing, and I find myself running in circles to meet everyone's needs. Are there any other CNAs out there applying/in medical school?

I was wondering if you could share your experiences with me as they relate to med school?

For example, did the topic come up during interviews?

Was it viewed in a positive light?

I decided to become a CNA because I wanted a meaningful medical experience. I wanted to learn to become a better caregiver, if that makes sense. Certainly not for glamor. I have a lot of respect for the people I work with--it is a difficult job.

Best,

Fay

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior premed and Ive been a CNA at a skilled nursing home for about 8 months now. I think that its a great medical experience and it shows that you actually care about patients. I know that alot of my coworkers are also premed or pa students too.

Hey All,

I just started working as a nursing assistant in an assisted living facility.. It's rewarding, but tiring caring for 10+ people on your shift. My phone is constantly ringing, and I find myself running in circles to meet everyone's needs. Are there any other CNAs out there applying/in medical school?

I was wondering if you could share your experiences with me as they relate to med school?

I decided to become a CNA because I wanted a meaningful medical experience. I wanted to learn to become a better caregiver, if that makes sense. Certainly not for glamor. I have a lot of respect for the people I work with--it is a difficult job.

Best,

Fay

I did my CNA training in an assisted living facility, and whoa, that's rough stuff. After almost six years as a CNA though, I want to encourage you to stick with it. My experiences have been very rewarding in this role, and if you keep going, your bedside manner will be among the best, your interdisciplinary aptitude will go miles as a physician (many I have work with are clueless as to what actually goes into pt. care, and the value of nurses, CNAs, etc), and you will have incredible opportunities to learn clinical skills/trends.

My advice is to keep opening new doors as a CNA, you have a key that few posess. Once you have experience, you can maneuver from critical care, to community health, to surgical tech, to EKG tech positions. Diverse experiences will go a long way in interviews/application essays.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about this / my experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

Best,

Fay

Hi Fay,

I'm a CNA also, I've been doing it since about January, and it certainly isn't glamorous work. I have been told that being a CNA is the best clinical experience you can get, and it certainly as paid off for me as I was just recently accepted. It's considered the best clinical experience for several reasons... First, you are at the very BOTTOM of the totem pole and it shows that you're willing to pay your dues in order to be working with patients and be in the field that you hope to some day join. Second, NOBODY gets better patient interaction than CNAs, as I'm sure you know. You're the one who is with them at every moment for anything that they need. You get to converse with them to make them feel better, and more often than not you get to hear some pretty amazing stories from them as well. You really get to know them, patients love talking about their families and what they used to do for a living etc...

I'm incredibly glad I decided to be a CNA before going into medical school because I feel it really has given me the experience necessary to interact with full confidence with patients. Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as a CNA/ward clerk for 7years before going to medical school. I'm a little different in that I had my bachelor's degree prior to becoming a CNA. I was not able to get any job in the medical field since I know I always wanted to be a doctor. So I got my CNA license and used that as a way to get patient interaction and medical experience. It also helped me befriend many doctors who helped along my journey.

As a CNA I was able to work and went back to do a one year post-bacc prior to applying to school since my grades and life were crap during college. My job actually paid for my tuition for that post bacc year.

Although I am a physician now, my husband is also a CNA and still works with the patients. There is nothing wrong with CNA work. It is vital to the hospital and gives you invaluable experience before making that leap into medical school that consumes 10 years of your life.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm looking into getting my CNA certification soon and then getting a job. I really want the chance for deeper patient interaction. Plus, don't like the loud sirens of ambulances either, so it made for an easy decision. :p

Is it necessary to have the certification before starting work? How do you get a job without the experience(once you have the cert.)? The earliest class in my area starts in December, but I'd love to get working before then. Did you find that you needed to get further certification after working a while (ie. EKG, Phlebotomy, CPR, etc)? Sorry for all the questions!

If your on an ambulance now, im assuming that you're an EMT. If thats the case, i would check to see if they will accept your EMT cert as opposed to having to take a CNA course. In every ER ive worked in or applied to, theyve always accepted my EMT cert as the main cert.

As far as further training, it depends on where you go. I've worked at one hospital where they gave me in house phlebotomy and EKG training, but where i work now I can't do phlebotomy techniques.

CPR is something you should already have if you're an EMT. They will require you to keep it up if you're in a hospital.

I'm not saying that the CNA class is a bad thing, im just saying why take another class if you dont need it?
I'm looking into getting my CNA certification soon and then getting a job. I really want the chance for deeper patient interaction. Plus, don't like the loud sirens of ambulances either, so it made for an easy decision. :p

Is it necessary to have the certification before starting work? How do you get a job without the experience(once you have the cert.)? The earliest class in my area starts in December, but I'd love to get working before then. Did you find that you needed to get further certification after working a while (ie. EKG, Phlebotomy, CPR, etc)? Sorry for all the questions!

I don't have any certification at the moment, so I'd be starting from scratch.

Hey guys. I did the whole CNA thing too. I am currently working as an ER phlebotomist in a hospital at this moment before I start med school in Fall 2011. It is great experience and yes it is something that you can talk about in med interviews and applications. ( I actually think this helps even more for DO schools then MD schools.)

My advice for doing CNA certification is definately DEFINATELY do not take a multiple credits /semesters long community college degree course to do it. Search for a tech school class/exam prep course that preps you for the certification exam in a short time. The exams for CNA can be challenged as they do not require a certain amount of experience/credits to get a job.

Second piece of advice: any healthcare facility that turns you away and tells you to apply on-line for a CNA job don't even bother doing it. Your app will be sitting in an email box. Try to network to find a job. That is really the only way to find one.

It is typically hard to get a hospital CNA position w/o prior experience. You may have to start out in assisted living or home healthcare (which is actually a really good gig). Connections will get you in a clinical setting -- I was fortunately a volunteer at the hospital where I eventually landed my first CNA job. But if you know any physicians, nurses, or other CNAs, see if they will put in a good word for you. That will often be what lands you a job as hospital/clinic staff.

First, you'll need that certification though. Look into local CC programs. They're usually a few months long at most.

If you are starting from scratch and are looking at a medical certification in order to gain healthcare experience, I would suggest you look at Emergency Medical Services as well. The EMT cert takes just about as long as the CNA, and I think you can get good patient-care experience from either one. Personally I would want to avoid working in a nursing home (CNA) if at all possible.

I worked as a phlebotomist for three years and now work as a hemodialysis patient care technician. It is a very rewarding job and probably the most amount of responsibility you can have without having an LPN. I had a good ten minute long conversation about my role as a PCT at one interview, and a few short questions about phlebotomy at others.

If you have an EMT basic, it is hard to get a job in assisted living. I've seen it is hard to get a hospital position without experience (or connections). Most of the jobs say "CNA" is a qualification, is the EMT basic equivalent or should a person get the CNA license on top of the EMT basic?

If you are starting from scratch and are looking at a medical certification in order to gain healthcare experience, I would suggest you look at Emergency Medical Services as well. The EMT cert takes just about as long as the CNA, and I think you can get good patient-care experience from either one. Personally I would want to avoid working in a nursing home (CNA) if at all possible.

So you are saying working on an ambulance as opposed to a nursing home?

Found a 6 week CNA course at the local tech school. Sweet! I'm gonna aim for mostly DO schools, so it's good to know that they will look highly on it.

If you have an EMT basic, it is hard to get a job in assisted living. I've seen it is hard to get a hospital position without experience (or connections). Most of the jobs say "CNA" is a qualification, is the EMT basic equivalent or should a person get the CNA license on top of the EMT basic?

Many Emergency Departments will accept an EMT license and hire on "ER Techs", which are essentially CNAs. I have never seen this beyond the ER though.

So you are saying working on an ambulance as opposed to a nursing home?

These are VERY different work environments. There is value to being a first responder/EMT (especially if you envision Emergency Medicine in your future). Hospital medicine and other CNA work gives you a much more comprehensive perspective of healthcare, and the team approach of patient care. On top of the clinical perspective, you will be able to BROADLY develop relationships with patients and other healthcare workers. As an EMT, your scope is limited IMO.

KAK-

I'll share my experience with you on becoming a CNA. Prior to this, the only patient care experience I had was volunteering in a hospital (transport). I did this a few years ago during college. A few months ago, I decided I needed some meaningful patient care experience. So, I quit my job and trained to become a CNA.

I tried to find free CNA training courses, but there was nothing available in my area--suburb of Boston. So, I ended up paying for a course with the Red Cross; I became dually certified as a Home Health Aide/Nursing Assistant. The course itself was kind of expensive, but it was taught by RNs. They did an excellent job preparing the class for the state exam. Here in MA, you really need to be state licensed to find a job as a CNA, especially in hospitals. The course focused on both book knowledge (basic nursing stuff: anatomy, bed sore progression), and practical stuff (taking BP, patient transports, bed baths). The 5 week course also came with a clinical which took place in a nursing home. At the end of the course, we were assigned a complete care resident. Basically, I had to do everything for this individual. We also got to meet and socialize with other residents in the facility and help each other out. This experience gave me a lot of confidence when I applied for jobs as CNA. By the way, I recommend Assisted Living Centers. They're more receptive to CNAs without experience.

I now work in an assisted living facility. So far, the experience has been very rewarding. I was speaking to one resident about the med school decision, and she told me that she would keep me in her prayers. A very lovely person, this lady..

Time to go to work!

Good luck,

Fay

KAK-

I'll share my experience with you on becoming a CNA. Prior to this, the only patient care experience I had was volunteering in a hospital (transport). I did this a few years ago during college. A few months ago, I decided I needed some meaningful patient care experience. So, I quit my job and trained to become a CNA.

I tried to find free CNA training courses, but there was nothing available in my area--suburb of Boston. So, I ended up paying for a course with the Red Cross; I became dually certified as a Home Health Aide/Nursing Assistant. The course itself was kind of expensive, but it was taught by RNs. They did an excellent job preparing the class for the state exam. Here in MA, you really need to be state licensed to find a job as a CNA, especially in hospitals. The course focused on both book knowledge (basic nursing stuff: anatomy, bed sore progression), and practical stuff (taking BP, patient transports, bed baths). The 5 week course also came with a clinical which took place in a nursing home. At the end of the course, we were assigned a complete care resident. Basically, I had to do everything for this individual. We also got to meet and socialize with other residents in the facility and help each other out. This experience gave me a lot of confidence when I applied for jobs as CNA. By the way, I recommend Assisted Living Centers. They're more receptive to CNAs without experience.

I now work in an assisted living facility. So far, the experience has been very rewarding. I was speaking to one resident about the med school decision, and she told me that she would keep me in her prayers. A very lovely person, this lady..

Time to go to work!

Good luck,

Fay

Fay,

Thank you for the insightful post! I can only hope the course I found is as good as the one you took. I called the program director and they said that there is a clinical portion as well as a lecture based part, so that gives me hope. How many hours a week are you expected to work? Are the hours flexible(ie. can you be on call)? I know this will vary from place to place, but wanted to try and get an idea. Thanks!

- Kevin

Kevin,

Glad you found my post helpful. I imagine it varies. For example, I work part-time, usually 2 shifts/week. I have assigned shifts (8 hrs), but I often volunteer to pick up extra shifts when I'm not in class. So, I would just ask your prospective employer what they expect from you. Also ask how many patients/residents you'll be caring for during your shift. It's better to work for an institution that gives you a fair/well-balanced assignment. For example, I usually care for 8-10 people, but some are more independent than others.

Best,

Fay

Hospital medicine and other CNA work gives you a much more comprehensive perspective of healthcare, and the team approach of patient care. On top of the clinical perspective, you will be able to BROADLY develop relationships with patients and other healthcare workers. As an EMT, your scope is limited IMO.

As a paramedic with 10 years of experience I would have to disagree with just about everything you said, but I guess it doesn't really matter. The good advice for the OP is to do a little research and seek out a healthcare experience that you think will be meaningful to you and your future goals. There is no question you can get great experiences either as a CNA or an EMT (or one of many other professions). I was simply pointing out that there are many options available, and I think EMS can be a good one.

While i have a bit of a bias myself, im gonna have to agree with fiznat here. EMS can be a great experience that can be very rewarding as well. It all depends on what you're looking for. I feel that i have PLENTY of scope in a rig. Let me clarify: an EMT-B or a CNA has pretty much the same legal scope but in a hospital there are a plethora of more highly trained personal around when the $hit hits the fan. In an ambulance (as an EMT) its just you and the medic.

I guess i may have a different view than what most EMT-B's do because i actually work on an ALS rig which is pretty difficult to do as a basic if you're not on a fire dept. I haven't had to deal with the hospital-hospital transfers or nursing home transfers or things like that. Dont get me wrong, we still feel like a glorified taxi with shinier lights when someone has a tooth pain at 3 in the morning, but we get to see those interesting 911 calls as well.

Lets just all agree to give opinions about what we know from personal experience and be respectful of eachothers current professions. We all have the same goal right?
As a paramedic with 10 years of experience I would have to disagree with just about everything you said, but I guess it doesn't really matter. The good advice for the OP is to do a little research and seek out a healthcare experience that you think will be meaningful to you and your future goals. There is no question you can get great experiences either as a CNA or an EMT (or one of many other professions). I was simply pointing out that there are many options available, and I think EMS can be a good one.

Being a CNA was the best decision I ever made because I doubt I'll get a chance to have that kind of experience ever again. It gives you an iron stomach, where no amount of sprayed GI bleedy poop will phase you because you've had the pleasure of being sprayed with it (or had it thrown at you) and had to just stay by the patients side and clean them up.

Another good one was the guy who passed out in his and his dog's crap for a few days and when he got to our floor he had a bulging wound on his leg. The nurse and I got to dig out over 1 cup of squiggling maggots.

One last classic moment was the night I had to stay in the room with violent patient who was not in restraints when his 30 years younger than himself girlfriend came to visit. He had refused to clean his mouth for a week or more and had a layer of scum on his teeth so thick it made large strings when he opened his mouth all over his lips and back inside his mouth. She took care of that problem... with her tongue... it too a few minutes and I was glad there was a TV in the room. Iron stomach.

It also gives you a better idea of what the life of a patient is really like because you spend so much time talking to them, feeding, cleaning, walking, ect. It exposes you to the process of a drug seekers manipulative reasoning and how insanity is rationalized. (Had a meth-head lady who tore holes in her foot and ankle all over so it looked like swiss cheese and while helping pack the wounds with the nurse she told us straight faced that her cat did it.)

Being a CNA allows you to see and better understand what "crazy" really looks like. I know I won't hesitate nearly as much to order restraints or haldol because there is no reason to let things escalate to the point where someone is hurt before those are put to use. You catch a nice lefty to the jaw from a violet patient playing "opossum" and your whole perspective on patients change.

Once again, best job ever!