CMS drops autopsy requirement for rules participation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZpath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank god ! GOOD by hospital autopsies
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On September 26, the CMS went ahead and released the final regulation which alarmingly removed the autopsy standards for hospitals by justifying this change as a means to reduce regulatory burdens on physicians and the health care system. In the final regulation, the CMS changed its Medicare reimbursement policy where hospitals are no longer required to have autopsy programs to qualify for Medicare reimbursement. The agency clarified that the removal of this standard does not prohibit hospitals from performing autopsies and encouraged hospitals to implement policies for autopsy, where appropriate.

The CAP continues to oppose this change and will keep its membership updated on any new actions concerning this policy.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm I want to say this has basically been in effect since the late 70s...Im serious, google this but I think this has been the case since I was a small LADOC child going to Dodger games on my dad's day off from the LAPD. Where is this from? Can we get a link? Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user