CME Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmr10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies for a dumb question, but nobody has really talked about CME credits, how many you need, and how and who to report them to.

For reference, I am PMR pain. Do we need to do CME credits for our state medical licensing board? Or is this for ABPMR (through which I am double-certified)?

Where can I find more information about that?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Good question that no one really talks about in training. Your state has CME requirements to maintain your license during each period/year. Then each board certification has requirements as well to maintain. Typically if you are ABPMR boarded then the requirements you need will typically also meet the state CME requirements. +\- state specific mandatory CME courses depending on where you practice.

If your are in MOC on ABPMR it has a graphic about how many CME you need. If you do AAPMR they will automatically send the CME to ABPMR. I am not pain but assume you will have to meet CME requirements for both boards if they differ.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apologies for a dumb question, but nobody has really talked about CME credits, how many you need, and how and who to report them to.

For reference, I am PMR pain. Do we need to do CME credits for our state medical licensing board? Or is this for ABPMR (through which I am double-certified)?

Where can I find more information about that?

Thank you!
State specific. For example IN requires 0 credits. FL requires around 38 I think. IL requires 150. Some states require that you log them (FL is an example), some states don't care (IN and IL). So depending on where you practice will depend how many you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
State specific. For example IN requires 0 credits. FL requires around 38 I think. IL requires 150. Some states require that you log them (FL is an example), some states don't care (IN and IL). So depending on where you practice will depend how many you need.
Thank you both (@DMBandFan86 and @Iamnew2)!

Is there a specific place that lists a ton of CME courses (hopefully some of which may also be free)?

Good question that no one really talks about in training. Your state has CME requirements to maintain your license during each period/year. Then each board certification has requirements as well to maintain. Typically if you are ABPMR boarded then the requirements you need will typically also meet the state CME requirements. +\- state specific mandatory CME courses depending on where you practice.

If your are in MOC on ABPMR it has a graphic about how many CME you need. If you do AAPMR they will automatically send the CME to ABPMR. I am not pain but assume you will have to meet CME requirements for both boards if they differ.
We learn so much in residency and fellowship, but definitely would have liked a little more direction in terms of real life considerations!

For ABPMR you have to complete an average of 30 Category 1 CME credits every year.

Some journals offer CME credit (if you get AAPMR journal). Doximity or uptodate offers some credits (just make sure they are category 1). If you have professional memberships, some will offer "free" CME courses each year. I will also get some random CME courses from my work or professional development lectures that counts. I mostly have been using AAPM&R (they have an educational area) and doing an annual conference. If you do one annual conference online you can pretty much rack up enough CME for several years.

If I remember correctly, the first state I had a license in just asked if you had completed the required CME at the renewal period and didn't require proof of the CME unless audited. Others require direct reporting of the CME to CE Broker. So make sure you know what your state wants. Again, I like AAPMR because they record all their cme for me and I can add my non-aapmr CME there as well.

We learn so much in residency and fellowship, but definitely would have liked a little more direction in terms of real life considerations!
Also as a new attending you get a certain amount of CME credits for passing boards - I think it’s 100? And same for oral boards down the line. I think on your first renewal a number of states also give you a break in terms of having a reduced number of needed CME.

You also get CME for doing a fellowship.

I get a ton just from using UpToDate. More than I know what do do with.

Also as a new attending you get a certain amount of CME credits for passing boards - I think it’s 100? And same for oral boards down the line. I think on your first renewal a number of states also give you a break in terms of having a reduced number of needed CME.
Oh that's great. How do you claim those CME credits from boards and from fellowship?

Oh that's great. How do you claim those CME credits from boards and from fellowship?
That’s a great question but I am not sure as the state I initially worked at after residency didn’t require actual proof but I think you probably can enter that info for those states that require proof

This took me probably seven hours of calling, ABPM&R, googling, and reaching out to everyone on faculty to figure out. Basically, you just go to that site, create a login, select the board exam you are requesting credits for, and apply the credits. Maybe the best thing I’ve learned since becoming an attending.

Reactions: 2 users
You also get CME for doing a fellowship.

I get a ton just from using UpToDate. More than I know what do do with.
UpToDate is a GREAT source for credits. It automatically tracks what you do. I use it all the time and then once a year I claim and print out my CME credits and keep it in a folder.

Also get CME from doing the new assessment thing that has replaced the MOC