Club Organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseyVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they're a little different at every school but (to current students) how do you feel about/utilize the clubs/organizations/chapters. There are quite a few that I'd love to be a part of but I realize I need to be realistic about how much of a time commitment I can regularly give. For me the AAEP chapter is a must, but other than that I'm trying to gauge what else I can expect to take on.

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

HorseyVet said:
I'm sure they're a little different at every school but (to current students) how do you feel about/utilize the clubs/organizations/chapters. There are quite a few that I'd love to be a part of but I realize I need to be realistic about how much of a time commitment I can regularly give. For me the AAEP chapter is a must, but other than that I'm trying to gauge what else I can expect to take on.

i've found that i dont really have time for a bunch of the extra clubs etc. that are around. I joined the AAEP and BEVA, but other than that, i dont do much else within the school. But i've got lots of interests outside of vet school that i like to do in my spare time... there are people in my class who are involved in every club and organization and they seem to love it - so i think its a matter of balance and personal preference. But i think its really nice (and important) to have something to do non-vet related... like a sport, or likewise.

honestly, i found first year of vet school to be less work than what i was doing in undergrad, and actually had more time to do the things i wanted. 2nd year was another story......

HorseyVet said:

I've been active in my GUVZS club (Glasgow University Veterinary Zoological Society), even ran for president at one point (ended up being VP). I thought it would be good for my CV, and it was never *that much* work. However, I am not very happy with the overall organisation because it's more zoo/wildlife stuff than pet stuff, and I'm mostly interested in the companion animal aspect. But it's all we have here for birds, so I joined and became involved. I would love to start an AAV student chapter, but I'd be the only member!

There actually aren't many clubs here. GUVZS, Clinical Club (which is free and has talks sponsored by drug companies etc.), Vet Christian Union, and GUVMA (which is just an organisation of people who plan the vet school's social and sporting events).

There are more clubs based at the main university campus, but I never wanted to travel that far (I don't have a car and it's a 45 minute walk or a bus ride...which takes longer than you might think) and often the timing was just wrong.

I've joined a lot of clubs and go to meetings of clubs I'm not a member of mostly because they provide free dinner and give away prizes like scrubs and gift cards. I also started a behavior club at my school because it is my main interest and there were enough other people interested in being a member that it made it reasonable club to start. Here you can also join a club and not be active in it if you just want to say that you're a member of that club for some reason.