This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple Sauce

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in this predicament where I am required to take microbiology as a pre-req course at CSUDH. The only problem is that I graduated recently from my University without taking that class. The counselor at CSUDH told me that microbiology would required a three-semester wait period. I was hoping to try to finish the program in two years including the clinical portion (which takes a total of one year to complete).

The counselor also told me an alternative solution, which was to apply to UCBx for the medical microbiology and to take a general microbiology with lab class at a community college. I've heard a lot of negative comments about the UCBx online program and could only do the online since I live pretty far from Berkely. I was thinking of taking general microbiology at a UCI for this summer (lecture only) and take the general microbiology with lab at a community college for Fall 2017, rather than wait 3 semester for it.

By the way, I was told that 4-year universities do not accept microbiology from a community college but for some reason the lab portion is acceptable (from what I understood)

Would that work? Or is there another way to be accredited for this class?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, I was told that 4-year universities do not accept microbiology from a community college but for some reason the lab portion is acceptable (from what I understood)
Plenty of universities offer Microbiology with Lab online these days. Pricey (about $2.5k including lab kit), but fast. Take a look at Thomas Edison State University, Excelsior College, American Public University, all regionally accredited. Plus Thomas Edison State University (and a few others) have new semester starts each month so far less waiting.

I'm currently pursuing a BS in microbio and I'm doing it simply for Clinical Lab Science. I have no interests in going to grad school for research. If I don't get into CLS, then I'm going to go back to school for engineering. From my situation right now, is it still a good idea to change my major to engineering for backup? The reason why I haven't switched to engineering yet is because I dont' want to risk getting a low GPA. That would definitely prevent me from getting into CLS. On the other hand, if I don't get in to CLS with microbio, then I'm pretty much screwed. It's really a double edged sword and I really would appreciate any feedback. Considering how competitive clinical lab science programs are, should I still even consider going this route of microbio or just switch to engineering and hope that I don't screw my GPA up? I'm mean I'm actually ok with a job in engineering even though it's mostly desk job. At this point I have no interest in going through grad school/more schooling(PA/Nursing). I just want a regular 9-5 job that makes me think critically. I also liked CLS a lot because I care a lot about people's health, but I also like engineering because it makes you a good problem solver. Would doing microbio just for CLS be a good enough reason? Usually people major in life sciences to go on to PA/Med/nursing school(which I'm not interseted in). Thanks!

I was a CLS (still am certified and could go back if I needed).

I really think you are overthinking the competitiveness of getting into a CLS program. If you have a particular one in mind that does happen to be tough to get into, then sure, you may have to claw your way in. I hate to tell anyone they are a sure thing, because it would likely jinx them. Overall, it's not a particularly tough program to get into. Unless things have changed a lot, it's simply a matter of meeting whatever prereqs they have posted, and then registering. I'm serious. If you have a BS I micro, you're in. Go talk to a program director for CLS and see what they say.

I would suggest shadowing in a lab to see what they do. Not for a long time, just go in to a hospital nearby and ask to talk to the lab director. Tell them you are a micro major thinking about becoming a medical lab scientist, and that you would like a tour. That will honestly give you a decent picture of what the work is like. I don't know a lot about what an engineer does all day other than brief glimpses. My friend is an engineer, but engineers are a breed of their own.i could see my friend being excited about working on the leading endge of a wing and being excited, whereas it would drive me nuts. I liked the lab, but it was like working in a kitchen. As a nurse I feel like I'm working as a waiter. The laboratory environment now is even more automated than it was when I was in there, and the job is more like supervising robots and troubleshooting them when they break down. The lab I started in, doing most things by hand, now is so automated that techs (cls's) most of the time don't even see a result after the test is done. The computer tells you if something looks strange and needs another look. But in many cases, the machine just tells you something is wrong so you can load up more reagent so the machine can look at it again. What good is a tech against a computer that scans an image of blood cells and compares it against thousands of stored cases instantly. All I can do is look at a few.

So make sure it's what you want to do, and then go after it. CLS is very obtainable, don't fret.