Closure Portion for Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going over the First Aid for CS and how it talks about the closure portion of CS. It says to explain your diagnostic possibilities (explain a simple mechanism of disease)/workups, ask the patient if he/she has any concerns and do the counselling. So, my question is how detailed do we have to get when explaining the mechanism of disease...or when you counsel the patient? If anyone can give me some suggestions on what they did that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

In the closure section, I would explain the process of what I thought was the diagnosis eg. say for instance a patient is complaining of stress incontinence, and she is post menopausal with an Hx of NSVD x4 with large gestational age babies in all of the pregnancies. After working her up, I would tell her that her incontinence is probably from the fact that her "pelvic floor is weak because of her history of large babies, and the fact that she is post menopausal." I would then tell her that a decrease in estrogen one of the reason this happens, then go on the tell her what are some of the things that can help her eg. Kegel excercises( explain what this is as soon as you say it), pessaries,..... I am pretty sure that as long as you make the patient feel comfortable, and explain everything you do and plan on doing, you should be fine:luck:

Jamrock