Closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crotchetlittlebuckets

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should take the DO and not spend anymore time and energy on the MCAT or put yourself through another app cycle.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
If you took the MCAT twice already and got a sub 500 score, the chances of you getting an amazing MCAT score now are honestly pretty low. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten into medical school at all and just take the DO acceptance. Many applicants would love to be in your position.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take DO acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm aware. I did not study very well for the mcat both times though and this time around, I plan to get a tutor and study the test word for word. That is my only deterrent on my application. Everything else is fine. It's a big gamble, but going to the DO school is also a big gamble.

I'm aware. I did not study very well for the mcat both times though and this time around, I plan to get a tutor and study the test word for word. That is my only deterrent on my application. Everything else is fine. It's a big gamble, but going to the DO school is also a big gamble.
If you consider DO school such a big gamble then why did you even apply to DO school? Seems like you wasted your money by applying to schools that you don't plan on attending when they're literally giving you an acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If you consider DO school such a big gamble then why did you even apply to DO school? Seems like you wasted your money by applying to schools that you don't plan on attending when they're literally giving you an acceptance.
No need to be condescending, a lot of things can change between the time one applies and when they have to pick a school.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Take your DO acceptance if it isn’t to one of the schools that are typically advised against. The MD interview was likely a courtesy since you were part of the SMP program. We don’t know the rest of your app, but if you had a lower GPA where you needed an SMP, as well as 2 low scores on the MCAT already, chances are not good. Even a good increase to 505-506 won’t likely help you get into an MD school the following year.

• Love
It's just weird to me how some people seem to prioritize what ifs rather than a sure path to being a physician. DO and MD match rates pre-SOAP have been almost equivalent the past few years. This is not a gamble.

Last edited:
  • Love
Fair point and I appreciate all your inputs. It's just been very tough for me.. Really wish someone has been in a similar situation, but I doubt they'll see my post. Thankyou all for these comments

Reactions: 1 user
Fair point and I appreciate all your inputs. It's just been very tough for me.. Really wish someone has been in a similar situation, but I doubt they'll see my post. Thankyou all for these comments
It's understandable to feel a bit frustrated that you couldn't get to exactly where you want to be. But you really need to take a long hard look at yourself and ask if you want to be a doctor. You seem to be hung up on not having the MD behind your name, despite the fact that both are equivalent means of medical school in the US. If you don't want to be a DO, drop the acceptance so someone else who actually wants it can take your spot. I'm sure that person will be infinitely grateful to you as they make 200k+ and have a fruitful career. You don't have the stats for MD, the less recognizable letters behind your name and OMT are the tax you have to pay. Take the time to be thankful for what you have achieved and pat yourself on the back, you've beat the odds.

• Love
can cut the crap and attend the D.O. school but it will be more expensive, like 30k-40k more

Keep in mind that if you give up this DO acceptance to reapply, you will also be giving up about $250k in attending salary (more, depending on your specialty). And next year is no guarantee for acceptance.

Good luck with your decision.

• Love
Thankyou. I think I'm going to shut up and take my acceptance. Last question though, what are your opinions on deferring acceptances? Are there consequences for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankyou. I think I'm going to shut up and take my acceptance. Last question though, what are your opinions on deferring acceptances? Are there consequences for that?

You're going to defer to reapply MD? It seems like a good way to waste a year of attending salary.

Schools are variable in how readily they give them so I don't know about your specific school. I doubt any school would be happy to give you a deferral so you could play the field and try to get into a better school so I hope you have a better reason lined up than that if your school is amenable to a deferral.

• Love
You're going to defer to reapply MD? It seems like a good way to waste a year of attending salary.

Schools are variable in how readily they give them so I don't know about your specific school. I doubt any school would be happy to give you a deferral so you could play the field and try to get into a better school so I hope you have a better reason lined up than that if your school is amenable to a deferral.
OP is definitely trying to game the system for no purpose. They should just be glad that they even got in with a below 500 MCAT rather than packing their sunscreen. Most schools average MCAT scores as well so retaking it will have to be something massive. (495+495+512)/3= 500

• Love
If a school grants a deferral it’s usually for a reason such as a serious illness preventing you from starting now. You are not able to use the deferral year to reapply.
If reapplying is your plan you would withdraw.

• Love
I try to be truly supportive and encouraging of people on this forum, so I apologize preemptively for the bluntness of my post but my gut reaction to this thread is that you might not really want to be a doctor.

What is the medical school acceptance rate, something like 42%? Even with a DO acceptance, you have beaten the odds despite poor MCAT scores. You're in the minority of applicants because you walked away from this cycle with an A.

OP, if you want to be a doctor, go, be a doctor. Matriculate this autumn at the school that accepted you and be grateful every day that you were given an opportunity to pursue your dream. If you're realizing that this isn't your dream then it's time to release your spot to someone who wants it and then go and live your life outside of this profession.

I obviously don't know anything about your situation, so I sincerely apologize for taking liberties in my response but everything about what you have said makes me think you might need to take some serious time away and think about what it is that you really want to do with your life. It doesn't seem to be medicine. If it is, then take this A, don't defer, and go make the most out of that perfectly respectable and lauded DO education.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
It all comes down to whether or not you would rather be a doctor (albeit a D.O.), or if the initials "M.D." after your name are of utter importance. Choose wisely.

• Love
Keep in mind that if you give up this DO acceptance to reapply, you will also be giving up about $250k in attending salary (more, depending on your specialty). And next year is no guarantee for acceptance.

Good luck with your decision.

Does the attending salary argument still stand though when the difference between in-state public MD tuition and private out-of-state DO tuition is $250k or more? Not to mention interest from loans over the years

Does the attending salary argument still stand though when the difference between in-state public MD tuition and private out-of-state DO tuition is $250k or more? Not to mention interest from loans over the years
This would likely only happen if you have a TX MD and the DO is CCOM or AZCOM. In OPs case, I think it’s a 65k difference, from a total CoA perspective that includes rent, loan fees and so on.

1. Paragraphs

2. Would you give up a sure shot with Jessica Alba just for a CHANCE with Megan Fox…. Take what you are getting.

• Love
  • Dislike
As someone who always recommends MD > DO when the applicant has stellar stats but just applied poorly/got unlucky, I say take the DO A.

You're highly unlikely to do better after 2x <500. Even if you can delay, you will be very burnt out from studying for the MCAT again and it will leave a salty taste in your mouth if you don't get an MD A (even if you did score >508).

Yes. If someone is okay with IM/FM/Psych/PM&R/Anes/Rads (all achievable through DO) then the argument still stands. Even if the MD was $0 and the DO was $450k I'd say take the DO (unless you had >512/4.0 and were just unlucky in the cycle).

$250k is nothing, you will make more than that in any specialty. Instead of delaying a year (and without 100% chance of getting into a cheaper school). Again, you will refinance to 3% and instead of being dumb with money just aggressively invest in the market/RE and keep working full time for the next 15 years. You will be flush with a net worth $3m+ (unless you have a divorce or two by then)

As someone who always recommends MD > DO when the applicant has stellar stats but just applied poorly/got unlucky, I say take the DO A.

You're highly unlikely to do better after 2x <500. Even if you can delay, you will be very burnt out from studying for the MCAT again and it will leave a salty taste in your mouth if you don't get an MD A (even if you did score >508).
Fair point, thanks for the post. Although, you'll be surprised. It's all about who you know and the connections you make

I can’t imagine scoring that low on the MCAT twice and still getting into any medical school. Even more so, I can’t imagine being lucky enough to garner an acceptance despite such huge red flags, and then throwing away that acceptance. Such a brash decision would be so ignorantly unbecoming of any future physician.

As others have suggested, you need to seriously consider if you even want to be a doctor before you start down this path.

Also FWIW, you’ll be using the exact same study materials that all medical students use. You then have to pay the additional OMM tax, but depending on your school it’s really not a barrier substantial enough to keep you from doing well in your main coursework.

I can’t imagine scoring that low on the MCAT twice and still getting into any medical school. Even more so, I can’t imagine being lucky enough to garner an acceptance despite such huge red flags, and then throwing away that acceptance. Such a brash decision would be so ignorantly unbecoming of any future physician.

As others have suggested, you need to seriously consider if you even want to be a doctor before you start down this path.

Also FWIW, you’ll be using the exact same study materials that all medical students use. You then have to pay the additional OMM tax, but depending on your school it’s really not a barrier substantial enough to keep you from doing well in your main coursework.
It happens. I know several people in the last 5-7 years who scored 3-4x 492-497 and got in (ORM too). Another from my SMP scored sub 490 2x and then got an A after scoring 502 3 years later. Many schools outright have no policy in place to average MCAT scores and only look at the most recent one but I understand where you're coming from. It would be a huge mistake if OP doesn't take it and run with it

It happens. I know several people in the last 5-7 years who scored 3-4x 492-497 and got in (ORM too). Another from my SMP scored sub 490 2x and then got an A after scoring 502 3 years later. Many schools outright have no policy in place to average MCAT scores and only look at the most recent one but I understand where you're coming from. It would be a huge mistake if OP doesn't take it and run with it
Yeah, that was me. I had a 498 and a 499 and got into a bottom of the barrel DO school and a top 30 MD school. But I had a very compelling explanation for my low MCAT scores (a major accident during my post-bacc year) and an excellent application outside of those scores. And also, you had better fricking believe that I would have taken that DO acceptance and never looked back. No question, no hesitation.

Yeah, that was me. I had a 498 and a 499 and got into a bottom of the barrel DO school and a top 30 MD school. But I had a very compelling explanation for my low MCAT scores (a major accident during my post-bacc year) and an excellent application outside of those scores. And also, you had better fricking believe that I would have taken that DO acceptance and never looked back. No question, no hesitation.
Exactly... You're the first person to relate to. I said I was going to take the acceptance but everyone is blowing me up omg

Exactly... You're the first person to relate to. I said I was going to take the acceptance but everyone is blowing me up omg
I can relate as someone who did an SMP. Your biggest mistake was doing the SMP before securing a >508 MCAT (maybe even >512 depending on your region). Otherwise, a 4.0 in an SMP isn't going to open any doors. MD schools would rather take the 3.6 SMP/512 MCAT over the 4.0 SMP/<505 MCAT.

That is because your SMP GPA will make NO DIFFERENCE in the school's reported average. MD schools report UG GPA, NOT GRADUATE GPA, and MCAT scores. A 3.6 and 4.0 SMP both say "I can handle med school". What's left over is MCAT, and the person with the better MCAT will average up the school's stats

This is why doing a post-bacc (undergrad classes) is sometimes sometimes because it will raise the cumulative uGPA (and it is also cheaper). A friend of mine was rejected from my SMP but told to take similar classes at the undergrad school and that it will be viewed evenly (which made me pissed off for spending $60k when I could have done that for $15k lol...)

So, I am in a weird situation. I did not do well on the MCAT (taken 2x and got a sub 500. specifically range from 495-500) , and I want to retake since I got rejected from all the MD schools that I applied for.
Stop engaging in magic thinking and take the accept. Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.
. 2.) I can cut the crap and attend the D.O. school but it will be more expensive, like 30k-40k more, I would have to take the COMLEX and the USMLE to get into certain specialties; so extra work, and I would have a difficult time matching into very competitive specialties. I do not want to be limited.
Think of COMLEX and OMM classes as the tax you need to pay to be a doctor and for mucking the MCAT 2x.

And I can't sugar coat this: You've already had to take an SMP and have done poorly in two MCAT attempts. This is not the track record for a student who goes into competitive specialties. Those people are at the top of the pack to begin with.

I did not study very well for the mcat both times though

This is rad flag that you make bad choices.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.