Clopidogrel for STEMI vs NSTEMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxilla54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it recommended that clopidogrel is only continued for 1month following STEMI vs 1year for NSTEMI? (in addition to aspirin indefinitely for both + ACEi, BB, statin). I would've thought STEMI represents more significant vascular disease hence would require longer antiplatelet tx.

UK guidelines here, but wondering whether anyone can figure out the rationale from first principles?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no explanation from first principles. Just from a brief review of the literature, these guidelines are derived from various trials, namely TRITON-TIMI 38. Generally, NSTEMI patients have higher mortality year on year than STEMI patients due to multiple factors, including differential provider treatment patterns and NSTEMI patient characteristic heterogeneity.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no explanation from first principles. Just from a brief review of the literature, these guidelines are derived from various trials, namely TRITON-TIMI 38. Generally, NSTEMI patients have higher mortality year on year than STEMI patients due to multiple factors, including differential provider treatment patterns and NSTEMI patient characteristic heterogeneity.
Fair enough - thanks for your reply!
Didn't know that about NSTEMI - I wonder if it's the same in the UK...

Fair enough - thanks for your reply!
Didn't know that about NSTEMI - I wonder if it's the same in the UK...
It's a multicenter trial across 30 countries with 26% of study subjects from western Europe, so assuming the results of the trial are correct, then yes.