clinical vs basic research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevenblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it so that med residents with basic research background tend to match into better gi fellowships or its just a misconception...

I personally have nil basic research..

Members don't see this ad.

My bias is that clinical research can be just as helpful. One exception would be that a background in basic science obviously helps most if you are applying for basic science tracks, but vice versa would be true for clinical research tracks also. Having a strong basic science portfolio does little for those applying for clinical research spots.

Hi,

Is it so that med residents with basic research background tend to match into better gi fellowships or its just a misconception...

I personally have nil basic research..

I don't think that lack of basic science research puts you at a disadvantage when you are applying for clinical research tracks. If you're not interested in it, you're not interested in it. I can say that I'm happy that I have some basic science research experience from medical school because when I say I'm interested in clinical research and not interested in basic science, I can REALLY mean it because I have at least tried it (Oh how I dislike basic science research!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think big universities are more interested in basic research than clinical research, and having basic research on your CV never hurts.

I think big universities are more interested in basic research than clinical research, and having basic research on your CV never hurts.

I'm at a top university program and this is simply just NOT true.

I'm at a top university program and this is simply just NOT true.

Likewise, and agreed. However, gidoc007 is right in saying that having basic science research never hurts. I just don't think basic science > clinical research, even at top programs.

Yes, I agree having basic science never hurts. I was disagreeing with the basic science > clinical research as you stated.

I think it's all relative....having basic science research helps, but if you haven't published anything then I don't think it matters as much. For example I listed my basic science research experience as an undergrad in genetics, but I didn't publish a single thing, however I have plenty of clinical research experience and abstracts, posters and publications which I think will weight in more for my application. Good luck everyone and congrats gidoc2007!

I dont have any basic research on my CV and thought that it was a major drawback. I have talked to some of the faculty and they are divided on the fact if basic research helps......so i guess the jury is out!!