Clinical volunteer vs. medical scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berryayyy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so i'm planning on applying next cycle (will graduate this fall and planning on DIY postbacc) and was wondering should I concentrate on clinical volunteer or scribing or research? I only have time for one (or two) of them (during my last semester in college).

Here's the background: I've been in my current lab for 1 year, didn't go last semester due to class conflict, but will return for 1 month during the summer and thinking of returning next semester. I've previously volunteered at a hospital (1 yr, total of ~190 hrs) but I've frequently missed shifts because I was immature and busy and just did not have enough time due to taking too many classes (double majoring). I have been in contact with the program coordinator though and she said that I am welcome to volunteer once I have time. However I am not sure if she will write me a strong lor due to my absences for shifts previously.

On the other hand, throughout this time, I've been a medical scribe for 1.5 yrs already (>300 hrs I'd say) and recently the scribe mentor left so I have a lor from him and was wondering if I should continue to medical scribe job?

Application-wise I am definitely lacking with clinical volunteer (and publications if that matters). During my gap year I am pretty confident I can find another scribe job. So i don't know if I should stick with scribing or give up scribing for 1 semester and find a new volunteer or go back to the old one?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For medical school, I would say clinical volunteering would have better impact at more schools

What do medical schools think about scribing in general? Is it not too highly valued because the scribe doesn't work with the patient directly?

No, that wasnt my reasoning.
Some schools will consider clinical volunteering, clinical employment, and shadowing under a single category such as "healthcare experience". Others will look at them separately. Since volunteering is typically considered of higher importance, it makes sense to maximize impact by getting additional clinical experience this way rather than scribe employment

Why is volunteering regarded higher than employment if the main point is to gain clinical exposure? I would also like to add the fact that some volunteering gigs are simply about lollygagging around the inpatient unit corridors whilst some paid gigs (such as CNA's) require back breaking work directly with patients for 12 hours at a time.

For medical school, I would say clinical volunteering would have better impact at more schools

Thanks so much for the reply! Another quick question, hopefully my sGPA will be 3.66 and cGPA 3.75 when I graduate. I am currently thinking of doing a DIY postbacc for 1 semester (so I can apply next cycle) to pull my sGPA to ~3.7 (and cGPA to ~3.77 altho no big difference to 3.75 imo). Is the postbacc + volutneer (nonclinical+clinical) + research + studying for mcat worth it during the gap year or should I forget about the postbacc then find a fulltime/part time job of some sort to focus on nonclinical and clinical volunteering + mcat studying?

Why is volunteering regarded higher than employment if the main point is to gain clinical exposure? I would also like to add the fact that some volunteering gigs are simply about lollygagging around the inpatient unit corridors whilst some paid gigs (such as CNA's) require back breaking work directly with patients for 12 hours at a time.

I'm not sure if this will answer your question but for me, my clinical volunteering will also involve direct patient contact (talking to them, making sure they're oriented etc.) rather than more clerical work so for me the scribing and volunteer positions kind of overlap (except one gives me the money). i know my friends volunteered at hospitals and did the 100 hours or smth clerical work then got the chance to shadow physicians but I figured I didn't like that