Clinical Veterinary Pharmacy Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kobsthaschiznit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea: I am doing my HW people! I am only a first year pharmacy student but I have a strong desire to pursue clinical veterinary pharmacy. Not just own a compounding pharmacy but I actually want to round with vet students and possibly even teach at a vet med school. I notice the University of California at Davis just started a clinical vet residency this year. Anyone know a pharmacist that does this sort of thing for a living or have an interest in it themselves? I am hoping to find a pharmacist to shadow sometime this summer to count towards my IPPE's.

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at doing this for awhile but I decided I'd rather keep the animals a hobby rather than a career.

I know most pharmacology profs at vet schools are PharmDs - I would contact them. The ones I've spoken to (I have friends in vet school) were very friendly and receptive.

You should contact Gigi Davidson at the North Carolina State University veterinary school. She is a veterinary pharmacist and has been doing it a really long time and would probably have great tips on how to pursue it if you are interested. A lot of students from my school do elective rotations with her. I will be there in April. I'm pretty sure UC Davis is the only veterinary residency program in the country unless things have changes in the last few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to travel to the west coast, Portland Oregon has a compounding pharmacy that does mostly veterinary compounding. The owner, Tom Eilers seeks pharmacy students who want to rotate thru.
Look up website: nwcompounders.com for more info.

James B

Elaine Lust at Creighton University is a veterinary pharmacist. She teaches a Vet Therapeutics class that is open to visiting pharmacy students (other universities), and works on the Emergency Medical Team (set up the animal hospital/pharmacy for Hurricaine Katrina).