Clinical School assignment at Usyd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rittuvh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been assigned the western clinics but they have not specified which one. Does anyone know if there is a specific procedure to getting your specific clinical school. I had requested RPAH and now as they have put me into the western clinics can I request Westmead or it is not in my hands at all?
Would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this front. Thanks alot!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.
They haven't told you whether or not you have been placed at Westmead or Nepean yet because they do this after school starts.

Nepean is quite a bit farther away and everyone assigned to the Western Clinical schools goes there for a tour during the first few weeks of school.
They ask for volunteers to sign up for Nepean and then if they don't meet the quota, students are balloted. I could be wrong but I believe this year, they were only short one student. They did a draw and the student who did get selected to go to Nepean wrote to the faculty noting why they couldn't go.

I think about 40-60 students go to Nepean.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. Is it at all possible to change ones clinical allocations all together or is it a waste of energy to even try?

rittuvh said:
Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. Is it at all possible to change ones clinical allocations all together or is it a waste of energy to even try?

It is only possible if there is room in the clinical school you are trying to transfer to. The unfortunate reality of the situation is that the University of Sydney is expanding and I believe the intake for 2005 will be 300 students or more...

The Clinical Schools are already operating at numbers higher than they're used to and it's putting a strain on resources.

Westmead is far away on the map but there's a train that goes straight there.
It only takes about 30-45 minutes to get there by train depending on the timetable etc. Then it's about a 10 minute walk from the station to the hospital.

It is a bitch to be allocated to hospitals other than RPA because normally, you'd be living near the campus which is where RPA is and commuting is expensive and a pain.

You'll find that all the hospitals have their strengths and weaknesses.
Westmead is one of the largest hospitals in Sydney and the Children's hospital is connected to it which is good if you're interested in Paediatrics (get used to the British spelling for everything).

Nepean has it's pluses and minuses as well... I personally wouldn't go there due to the distance.

You'll find out all about it when you get to Sydney- I don't want to babble for too long.

They have a new copy of Feet First posted to the website
http://www.medsoc.usyd.edu.au/Publication/index.htm
Click 'Feet First'

Heck, I'm going to make a post about it.