Clinical Psych PhD at the New School in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funky_buddha

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here but also the reason I made an account (other than finding some helpful stuff when browsing). I am soon to be applying to clinical PhD programs and looking to find a lab that has an emphasis on psychophysiology and affect. I recently got connected to a PI at the New School who seems interested in me (we have a video call scheduled this week), and her lab seems to do research that is right up my alley. The catch is that it seems like the New School doesn't guarantee funding for it's doctoral students, and it seems like there's some funny business around having to apply for the master's, and then again having to apply for a doctorate. I think my credentials are strong enough that I can get admitted to a funded program elsewhere, but this lab seems like a near-perfect fit. I was wondering if any of you have, or know anyone who has, enrolled in a doctoral program at the New School without catapulting themselves into student debt. How feasible is this, assuming strong credentials? A follow-up question would be, how do you function as a poor graduate student in the most expensive city in America?

Thanks!!!
- FB

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning on a job in academia?

I am interested in academia, private practice, consulting, the whole gamut.. but not married to any of it. From what I understand, and have read on this forum, academia is a very unforgiving path for some. Part of why I want to do clinical is that it provides options outside of academia and research while also training in both.

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case, I'd be looking for a lab/program that is a decent fit, fully funded, and in an affordable city. For those in the tenure track plan of life, this can be more important as you need to ensure you get plenty of publications and possibly grants, but for generalists, you just want to find a decent fit with general training. No need to go into six figure debt to achieve that.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, as WisNeuro said - I would look for a funded program with strong research output if you want academia to be an option (even small liberal arts will expect some publications - as you move up the chain of research emphasis there will be higher expectations). I would take a look at the outcomes of students as well - is there a track record of folks going into academia? If not, don't assume you will be an exception.

No need for debt, much less substantial debt, to accomplish your goals.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @WisNeuro and @Justanothergrad! Those are great points and I will continue to look into other fully funded programs. I will also find a way to ask the PI about this when we speak, to see if her students tend to get funding or take out loans, and where they go after the program. A glance at the "alumni" page of the lab website suggests they are mostly in post-doc fellowships now and one is a senior psychologist at NYU school of medicine. Realistically, I don't know if I would go to great lengths to secure an academic future anyway and find it hard to see myself staying in academia my whole career. I am more of a generalist who would prefer a variety of clinical and research work.

Last edited:
Thank you @WisNeuro and @Justanothergrad! Those are great points and I will continue to look into other fully funded programs. I will also find a way to ask the PI about this when we speak, to see if her students tend to get funding or take out loans, and where they go after the program. A glance at the "alumni" page of the lab website suggests they are mostly in post-doc fellowships now and one is a senior psychologist at NYU school of medicine. Realistically, I don't know if I would go to great lengths to secure an academic future anyway and find it hard to see myself staying in academia my whole career. I am more of a generalist who would prefer a variety of clinical and research work.

Is your family wealthy? Because if not, NYC is a very unforgiving city and you will certainly go into debt up to 200k for graduate school alone. Remember you will need loans for living expenses in addition to tuition. I am in a fully funded program in another expensive part of the country and will still be leaving with sizable debt because of the cost of living here. And if you want to stay in NYC after graduation? Good luck finding a place you can afford in Manhattan or even Brooklyn with the burden of at least $2k/month in student loan payments. I have a friend currently looking for apartments in Queens and rent for a 1 bedroom is running at least $1700, and home values are into 7 figures. That’s $3700 a month gone to student loans and a crappy 1 bedroom apartment in Queens.

If your family is wealthy, then ignore everything I said and enjoy your life. But do consider other options. There are affective scientists at UPITT, Purdue, BU, UPENN...there are lots of options for you if you dig around some more.

I typed this on my phone in the back of an uber in between conversation with the driver so forgive me if I’m all over the place and for any typos.

There are a TON of affective neuroscience clinical faculty doing psychphys work in the country. It would not be hard to find a good list of people in very affordable areas. Heck, just down the road at UWM, the Larson lab has been doing this stuff for a while, and MKE is a very affordable place.

Thanks again.. since some have been suggesting labs, I have looked into it and found some interesting related ones at Bowling Green State, Michigan State, Columbia, and Kent. I'm mainly interested in anxiety, trauma, and stress (easy to find labs with this topic), and body-based interventions (much harder). READ Lab at Columbia is a good example but they are in NYC as well..

Thanks again.. since some have been suggesting labs, I have looked into it and found some interesting related ones at Bowling Green State, Michigan State, Columbia, and Kent. I'm mainly interested in anxiety, trauma, and stress (easy to find labs with this topic), and body-based interventions (much harder). READ Lab at Columbia is a good example but they are in NYC as well..

Check out the program for the Society for Affective Science conference (link below). There are a few faculty members studying psychophys, anxiety, and stress who have presented over the years. You may have luck finding someone in there. This link is for 2019, but check the program for previous years as well.

A lab that seems like a great fit to your experiences and interests is less important than avoiding debt, imo. You can always make a less-perfect lab fit your needs but debt always feels like a burden. I was almost accepted (interviewed, PI liked me but dept didn't agree) to a PhD program with a good reputation/name but poor funding. I took 3 years off after that and came back to doctoral training. I do not regret avoiding that debt and spending those 3 years not in a program.

Reactions: 1 users
A lab that seems like a great fit to your experiences and interests is less important than avoiding debt, imo. You can always make a less-perfect lab fit your needs but debt always feels like a burden. I was almost accepted (interviewed, PI liked me but dept didn't agree) to a PhD program with a good reputation/name but poor funding. I took 3 years off after that and came back to doctoral training. I do not regret avoiding that debt and spending those 3 years not in a program.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Faculty jobs are not high paying. If you want to keep the possibility of a faculty position alive, avoiding debt is probably more important than having the absolute perfect fit. Research interests evolve over time; grad school debt is an albatross that few really adequately consider when starting this process. It will close so many doors; even if you could hypothetically still take a dream job that doesn't pay well (and getting a great faculty job often means taking a few less-than-ideal / low-paying ones first), those monthly payments will make it very hard to actually follow that path.

New school not only doesnt guarantee funding but makes you do their MA first, and then less than half the MA students are chosen to continue on for their PhD program.

Theres also very little funding for their MA program, and they recently switched it so that you cannot earn increased funding for your second year in MA based on good grades etc in first year.

Pretty sure they also only offer full funding to 1-2 students per year for PhD, and they're nearly always the racial minority students. They're not need based by any means. Getting into and getting funded for their PhD is completely dependent about kissing ass and competitiveness for 2 years and luck of the draw with diversity funding. There is clique sabotaging behavior from your fellow MA students, and even upper PhD students who tend to be "informers" for the faculty on which MA students are worthy. Every day in your lab for 2 years is an interview for the PhD and people literally behaving like Blair Waldorf in gossip girl while faculty are totally complicit if not encouraging of the atmosphere.

Too many ppl get accepted to their Ma program and think and act like they've gotten accepted to their PhD and that's not the case for more than half the MA applicants. You're not applying to their PhD. you're applying to their MA, and then will apply to their PhD after you complete that. So just be aware of that before you consider going.

They've also lost their connection with mt sianai for clinical training externship during the PhD and have moved to captive. They're under review for accredditation soon? and went through a few year gap of mot having a history and systems teacher, and were trying to pass that required course by encompassing history in all other classes ? Dunno how well that will go.

Also becuase it's an expensive program, the professors entice applicants. Other programs its abnormal for them to reach out, new school you'll probably receive loads of enthusiastic begging calls and emails from 2-4 staff. They'll do that even if they're going on sabbatical the year you're accepted.Probably because they're informed by the school that the program needs X number of applicants to milk money from so they entice ppl heavily during application process and then generally completely change their tune once school year begins.

Honestly,it's not a good program and very few graduates go on to academia as well. Career afterward is basically dominated by new school alumni cliques and connections across Manhattan and I dont know how well candidates place and match for jobs and such outside. And I can vouch that out of all the people I know who didnt get into their PhD program after completing their MA, none did afterwards. At least not clinical phds in psych, many had to and chose to pursue other careers.

Out of the people who did go onto their PhD, they generally hated the program. Happy they got to get the degree they wanted but miserable in the program overall.
Lastly, the program is full of Ivy league legacies going "black sheep", wives/fiance's of lucrative finance men,and rich internationals who generally arent worried about funding. Generally, if their husbands/fiance's/boyfriends arent funding their expensive Manhattan lifestyle and schooling, their parents are. Many wont admit it, but it eventually comes out. If you're not one of those, they will outcast you and it will be extremely difficult to fund the program and live in the tri state area

You also wont be and shouldn't be living in NYC. You need to live outside NYC and commute unless someone else can pay for a 3k a month apartment near school. And by outside NYC I mean an hour out in bronx, brooklyn,queens, LI, Jersey,etc. Becuase anything else is going to be well over 2k a month.

As for not being rich and making it through the program ? You'll need a part time job to pay for your life, loans should only go to tuition. That will be difficult to manage with the focus required to be a student they deem worthy to get into their PhD. Even if you go to 4 lab meetings a week and do well in classes and on an MA thesis, they'll notice you being tired or taking extra time for assignments etc cause of work. They'll realize becuase their PhD is unfunded you will have to continue working outside the whole time and most likely won't think you can handle it, even if you managed during the MA.

They will choose someone who can afford to be 100%committed over you. They are aware of the impact SES plays in the whole thing and quote stated to MA students in a PhD application meeting "When students who arent as wealthy have to work outside school to supplement income and cannot make themselves as invaluable to their lab as others, and as such it becomes an issue of wealth begets wealth, but unfortunately we dont have anything to address that"

They're aware of the issue, and dont care and dont really plan to change it and are more than fine running a program on the basis of "wealth begets wealth"

If you chose not to work during the MA you'll easily double the amount of loans you need to take for tuition. Double if you live extremely modestly. Triple if you live an average lifestyle.

I really cant in good conscience recommend the program to anyone.

Last edited:
New school not only doesnt guarantee funding but makes you do their MA first, and then less than half the MA students are chosen to continue on for their PhD program.

Theres also very little funding for their MA program, and they recently switched it so that you cannot earn increased funding for your second year in MA based on good grades etc in first year.

Pretty sure they also only offer full funding to 1-2 students per year for PhD, and they're nearly always the racial minority students. They're not need based by any means. Getting into and getting funded for their PhD is completely dependent about kissing ass and competitiveness for 2 years and luck of the draw with diversity funding. There is clique sabotaging behavior from your fellow MA students, and even upper PhD students who tend to be "informers" for the faculty on which MA students are worthy. Every day in your lab for 2 years is an interview for the PhD and people literally behaving like Blair Waldorf in gossip girl while faculty are totally complicit if not encouraging of the atmosphere.

Too many ppl get accepted to their Ma program and think and act like they've gotten accepted to their PhD and that's not the case for more than half the MA applicants. You're not applying to their PhD. you're applying to their MA, and then will apply to their PhD after you complete that. So just be aware of that before you consider going.

They've also lost their connection with mt sianai for clinical training externship during the PhD and have moved to captive. They're under review for accredditation soon? and went through a few year gap of mot having a history and systems teacher, and were trying to pass that required course by encompassing history in all other classes ? Dunno how well that will go.

Also becuase it's an expensive program, the professors entice applicants. Other programs its abnormal for them to reach out, new school you'll probably receive loads of enthusiastic begging calls and emails from 2-4 staff. They'll do that even if they're going on sabbatical the year you're accepted.Probably because they're informed by the school that the program needs X number of applicants to milk money from so they entice ppl heavily during application process and then generally completely change their tune once school year begins.

Honestly,it's not a good program and very few graduates go on to academia as well. Career afterward is basically dominated by new school alumni cliques and connections across Manhattan and I dont know how well candidates place and match for jobs and such outside. And I can vouch that out of all the people I know who didnt get into their PhD program after completing their MA, none did afterwards. At least not clinical phds in psych, many had to and chose to pursue other careers.

Out of the people who did go onto their PhD, they generally hated the program. Happy they got to get the degree they wanted but miserable in the program overall.
Lastly, the program is full of Ivy league legacies going "black sheep", wives/fiance's of lucrative finance men,and rich internationals who generally arent worried about funding. Generally, if their husbands/fiance's/boyfriends arent funding their expensive Manhattan lifestyle and schooling, their parents are. Many wont admit it, but it eventually comes out. If you're not one of those, they will outcast you and it will be extremely difficult to fund the program and live in the tri state area

You also wont be and shouldn't be living in NYC. You need to live outside NYC and commute unless someone else can pay for a 3k a month apartment near school. And by outside NYC I mean an hour out in bronx, brooklyn,queens, LI, Jersey,etc. Becuase anything else is going to be well over 2k a month.

As for not being rich and making it through the program ? You'll need a part time job to pay for your life, loans should only go to tuition. That will be difficult to manage with the focus required to be a student they deem worthy to get into their PhD. Even if you go to 4 lab meetings a week and do well in classes and on an MA thesis, they'll notice you being tired or taking extra time for assignments etc cause of work. They'll realize becuase their PhD is unfunded you will have to continue working outside the whole time and most likely won't think you can handle it, even if you managed during the MA.

They will choose someone who can afford to be 100%committed over you. They are aware of the impact SES plays in the whole thing and quote stated to MA students in a PhD application meeting "When students who arent as wealthy have to work outside school to supplement income and cannot make themselves as invaluable to their lab as others, and as such it becomes an issue of wealth begets wealth, but unfortunately we dont have anything to address that"

They're aware of the issue, and dont care and dont really plan to change it and are more than fine running a program on the basis of "wealth begets wealth"

If you chose not to work during the MA you'll easily double the amount of loans you need to take for tuition. Double if you live extremely modestly. Triple if you live an average lifestyle.

I really cant in good conscience recommend the program to anyone.

Thank you for this very thorough response. I did hear about some funny business around applying for their MA and then going on to PhD.. I didn’t realize there was a toxic culture surrounding that. I will likely not be applying for this program, and in fact never even heard back from the prof who wanted to do a video call with me. Lame that it was probably another case of them trying to “entice” prospective students.

Unfortunate how many of these clinical PhD programs are such difficult environments. Sometimes the application process feels like walking through a minefield.

Last edited:
Thank you for this very thorough response. I did hear about some funny business around applying for their MA and then going on to PhD.. I didn’t realize there was a toxic culture surrounding that. I will likely not be applying for this program, and in fact never even heard back from the prof who wanted to do a video call with me. Lame that it was probably another case of them trying to “entice” prospective students.

Unfortunate how many of these clinical PhD programs are such difficult environments. Sometimes the application process feels like walking through a minefield.

No problem. I went there thinking it'd be better to compete with a class than the hundreds of applicants for other programs and becuase I wanted to work in a clinical research lab. I did everything I wanted but it was an extremely toxic environment. My cohort may have been slightly nastier than others but even with upper level and faculty it was extremely toxic. The fact that a faculty stated "it becomes an issue of wealth begets wealth, but we dont have anything to address that" honestly disturbed me so much. I wish I walked out of the meeting when she said that. The program is just extremely toxic with the fact you're basically under a competitive microscope and like I said, every day for your 2years in the MA is basically evaluative like an interview for the PhD. Very stressful and unfun. By the time the applications for the PhD program came around I didnt even want it any more, i just applied to get the experience of doing so but decided over winter break that final year I wanted out of there and did not want to be a part of that toxic environment.

I have little to add about the New School program other than I have not heard good things. If you are really interested in academia and want to be in the NYC area, SUNY Stony Brook is the program you should consider.

I have little to add about the New School program other than I have not heard good things. If you are really interested in academia and want to be in the NYC area, SUNY Stony Brook is the program you should consider.

Stony Brook is a good hour out from NYC (on a rare light traffic day) but there are plenty nearby trains that will take you into the city. They do have an excellent clinical program, funky_buddha. You should check it out.

Stony Brook is a good hour out from NYC (on a rare light traffic day) but there are plenty nearby trains that will take you into the city. They do have an excellent clinical program, funky_buddha. You should check it out.

Thank you both for this. My interest in the new school was only motivated by a single PI whose lab is very interesting to me. If the program has such obvious issues, I am not interested in attending. Stony Brook does seem like a much better program and at least one of their PIs is on my list.. I'm not particularly attached to the NYC area, but I would prefer to stay on the east coast.