Clinical positions and patient interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rheumlife15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard all sorts of answers, but from your own experience would you say that clinical pharmacists have patient interaction in hospitals? I know it depends on the residency, but let's say something like internal med or ICU.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard all sorts of answers, but from your own experience would you say that clinical pharmacists have patient interaction in hospitals? I know it depends on the residency, but let's say something like internal med or ICU.

Well, from my experience on an ICU rotation, there is not much direct patient interaction because most patients are sedated/intubated and in no shape to talk, so most of your interaction would with the nurses and the rounding team (physicians, residents, and allied health professionals).

Members don't see this ad :)
well anyone who has had an interesting experience, feel free to share! I'm curious to know about all the opportunities out there

When I did my PGY1 residency a number of years ago (it was called a PPR back then), the hospital's policy stated that pharmacists must perform a medication history on all patients. Furthermore, we had to do the medication discharge counseling on all patients leaving the hospital. So, yeah, there was a TON of patient interaction. That was pretty much the bulk of your day.

When I did my PGY1 residency a number of years ago (it was called a PPR back then), the hospital's policy stated that pharmacists must perform a medication history on all patients. Furthermore, we had to do the medication discharge counseling on all patients leaving the hospital. So, yeah, there was a TON of patient interaction. That was pretty much the bulk of your day.

that's pretty cool..what hospital was that? is it an academic one?

that's pretty cool..what hospital was that? is it an academic one?

Yes, it was a large academic hospital, somewhere in the midwest. It was cold there...oh so cold.

Edit: PM me if you want more information

BUMP!

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone else have any information about this? I'm interested in being a Clinical Pharmacist but I don't want a lot of patient interaction.

I thought I'd love seeing patients but...after working in the healthcare field for a while, it's not really my cup of tea. I like science/medicine but the less patient interaction, the better.

BUMP!

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone else have any information about this? I'm interested in being a Clinical Pharmacist but I don't want a lot of patient interaction.

I thought I'd love seeing patients but...after working in the healthcare field for a while, it's not really my cup of tea. I like science/medicine but the less patient interaction, the better.

Have you considered becoming a consultant pharmacist? Long term care is a growing field, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find that the networking opportunities are endless and the people are passionate about what they do. You would have limited interaction with the patients, but you could definitely make room for discussions with the nurses or reviews with the families. It's more what you make of it...

Have you considered becoming a consultant pharmacist? Long term care is a growing field, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find that the networking opportunities are endless and the people are passionate about what they do. You would have limited interaction with the patients, but you could definitely make room for discussions with the nurses or reviews with the families. It's more what you make of it...

No, I've never considered that. I'll look into it...thanks! :thumbup:

BUMP!

Have you considered critical care? I just did a rotation during which I spent most of a week in ICU, and I had no patient contact at all during that time - strictly with other medical professionals and a bit of family. As the earlier poster pointed out, many of the patients are intubated or extremely sick/sedated. However, from a clinical pharmacy point of view they are very challenging - many antibiotic monitoring issues, a lot of them are either on TPN or being tube fed, lots of renal issue monitoring, etc. Also, very interesting just because quite a few of the patients spend a long time there, so you can really see how the patient improves or declines over time since the pharmacist is following all the patients on the unit every day.

Have you considered critical care? I just did a rotation during which I spent most of a week in ICU, and I had no patient contact at all during that time - strictly with other medical professionals and a bit of family. As the earlier poster pointed out, many of the patients are intubated or extremely sick/sedated. However, from a clinical pharmacy point of view they are very challenging - many antibiotic monitoring issues, a lot of them are either on TPN or being tube fed, lots of renal issue monitoring, etc. Also, very interesting just because quite a few of the patients spend a long time there, so you can really see how the patient improves or declines over time since the pharmacist is following all the patients on the unit every day.

I'm on my acute care rotation right now and I have to agree with rxlynn on this.

Yup this is the reason that I enjoy critical care. I don't mind patient interaction but I prefer working with the team to make day to day decisions.

This is a great thread by the way. Thank you all for sharing so much information.

I would also add ID to this list (with the exception of HIV clinic)... since ID is usually a consult service, you don't really spend time counseling patients.