Clinical pharmacy and industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeS95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am gonna be employing soon and am trying to decide if i should try to go to schools who offer more clinical or more industry fellowship/residency opportunities. From what I notice schools are either geared towards one or the other for the most part. I am interested in both and its hard to choose one without being exposed to either first. My question is, is it possible for a clinical pharmacist who went through a residency to transition into industry? Would that make you a stronger candidate for the job since you actually have an extra skill compared to other pharmDs. If you were working with doctors helping managing patients medications, would that make you more qualified to work in industry in clinical trials or drug manufacturing for example or is the best way to secure those positions is to skip the clinical stuff and try to do an industry fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi i am gonna be employing soon and am trying to decide if i should try to go to schools who offer more clinical or more industry fellowship/residency opportunities. From what I notice schools are either geared towards one or the other for the most part. I am interested in both and its hard to choose one without being exposed to either first. My question is, is it possible for a clinical pharmacist who went through a residency to transition into industry? Would that make you a stronger candidate for the job since you actually have an extra skill compared to other pharmDs. If you were working with doctors helping managing patients medications, would that make you more qualified to work in industry in clinical trials or drug manufacturing for example or is the best way to secure those positions is to skip the clinical stuff and try to do an industry fellowship?

Applying soon*

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response, I actually stumbled upon this thread in the past and have spent the last 2 hours reading it. My concern is that since its from approximately 10 years ago, the information may not be current. I definitely have found out new information and bookmarked some links that people have shared regarding fellowships but I could not find anyone with the same question as mine. It was briefly mentioned in the beginning, "For some positions on the medical side, a residency, especially a specialty residency, can be very helpful." but thats about it. Do you have any insights/information that you would be able to share?

Hey brochacho,
You don't need a residency or a fellowship. I have neither and started at a small generic company. Leveraged the experience to get a contract position at a bigger company and converted over to FTE. Also, granted that you're at the application stage, let's not get too far ahead of yourself and worry about getting into some cheap pharmacy schools first.
Regards,
Paul
P.S. Leave the clinical trials for the MDs unless you want to be clin ops (don't need pharmacy school for that). Leave the manufacturing and formulations to the PhDs.