clinical observership in Canada.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince_211

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, how are you all!

I'm a third year Medical student from Saudi Arabia. I've been trying to get an observership in Neurosurgery all over the Canada, but most of them require an "Faculty sponsor". Can someone please explain what it means?

And how do medical Students generally apply for Clinical observerships and Electives?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, how are you all!

I'm a third year Medical student from Saudi Arabia. I've been trying to get an observership in Neurosurgery all over the Canada, but most of them require an "Faculty sponsor". Can someone please explain what it means?

And how do medical Students generally apply for Clinical observerships and Electives?
Hello.
IMGs can secure official elective experience through AFMC. Google AFMC student portal.
Certain places are lottery based.
As for observerships, they are generally secured through personal connections unfortunately. I had to ask a friend who did an observership with another physician previously if he can linked me to that physician. However, I think they got the observership in the first place through their physician parents and emailing random physicians. I think what they mean by faculty sponsor is that you need someone to agree to supervise you.

These are two things I know - Observerships have no affiliation with the University of Toronto and observers do not register with the postgraduate medical Education (PGME) Office.