USMLE clinical mastery series psych questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vincentannie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. 24yo male college student comes to follow up exam 2wks after starting sertraline for tx of major depressive disorder. before starting medication, the patient had 6-mo history of decreased motivation, lack of interest in academic work and fraternity activities, feelings of sadness and worthlessness. he also had decreased appetite and difficulty falling sleep at night. he had thought about suicide but made no attempts. P/E no abnormalities. Now he feels better but still difficulty sleeping. next step?

a)maintain current dosage of sertraline and schedule f-u in 4 mo
b)maintain current dosage of sertraline and schedule f-u for the next month
c)maintain current dosage of sertraline and add amitryptyline to medication regimen
d) discontinue sertraline and begin fluoxetine
e)increase dosage of sertraline and schedule f-u in 2 mo

2. 27yo man comes to ED after MVA. He states that he feels he is being followed by FBI. 37.6C, pulse 96/min, respiration 16/min BP130/90. P/E mild hyperreflexia. no evidence of head trauma. no other abnormalities. he is agitated with affective lability and rapid speech. oriented only to person and place.
a)amphetamine intoxication
b)hallucinogen intoxication
all others are obviously wrong..

3. a 47yo woman is admitted to the hospital because of a 12 hr history of tremors and confusion. she has a history of alcoholism and last consumed alcohol 24 hours ago. she has no other history of serious illness. she does not smoke cigarettes or use illicit drugs. on admission, she is agitated, diaphoretic, orientnted to person but not to time or place. vitamin B1 , folic acid, and three doses of diazepam are administered intravenously. 35 min later, respiratory compromise develops. patient is intubated, mechanical ventilation is started . 2 hr later, she remains agitated. she is pulling at her peripheral intravenous and urethral catheters and picking at her blankets. pulse 140/min, bp160/100, neurologic exam show tremor of upper and lower extremities and hyperreflexia bilaterally. next step pharmacotherapy?
a) add flumazenil
b)add haloperidol
c)add phenytoin
d)administer additional diazepam
e)administer additional B1

4. in a fit of anger, 22yo woman slaps her 2yo child across face. No other abuse history. which outcome of this experience for child?

a) brief psychotic disorder

b) dysthymic disorder

c) pain disorder

d) PTSD

e) no impact on development

choose e?

5. 32yo financial analyst comes to physician at employer’s request because of bizarre behavior and poor work productivity over past 6 mo. She has been arriving late, leaving early, frequently taking long breaks. She has had daily mood swings; sometimes appears withdrawn, lethargic, and belligerent and other times energetic and loquacious. Over the past 2 wks, she has several arguments with coworkers n which she accused them of stealing or sabotaging her work. This morning, she threatened to physically assault her supervisor after he questioned her about a 2-hr absence from work. 37c, pulse 90/min, respiration 16/min, 160/100, pupil dilated and reactive to light. DTR increased. She describes her supervisor’s unfairness and unfriendliness of other analysts. She suspects that they are jealous of her. She speaks in loud, rapid voice, frequently interrupting physician. She is oriented to person, place, time. She is able to recall three of three objects after 5 min and quickly and accurately performs 2-digit calculations. Diagnosis?

A) alcohol withdrawl

b) bipolar disorder (wrong)

c) cocaine abuse

d) delusional disorder, persecutory type

e) inhalant abuse

f) paranoid personality disorder

g) PCP abuse

h)schizophrenia, paranoid type

6. 27yo man comes to physician because of anxiety about major speech that he must deliver in 3 days. He has a great fear of public speaking and is convinced that his apprehension and tremulous delivery will damage his performance. He requests a tranquilizer to help with his anxiety. He takes theophylline and uses corticosteroids and albuterol inhalers for asthma. He has family history of alcohol dependence. He does not drink alcohol or use drugs. Pulse 66/min, respiration 12/min, 132/88. Pharmacotherapy ?

a) bupropion

b)buspirone

c) chlorpromazine

d) floxetine

e) haloperidol

f) imipramine

g) lorazepam

h) penphenazine

i) propranolol

7. 37yo male police officer comes to physician at the request of his superiors 1 wk after he witnessed a terrorist bombing during which several people were killed. He sustained only minor injuries and assisted in rescuing survivors and gathering body parts. Since the bombing, he has felt emotionally numb and has been unable to enjoy activities he used to find pleasurable. He has continued to work but has requested assignments far removed from the site of the attack. He describes his sleep as fitful. He is arritable and says he is not depressed. He said “they made me come. I’m not interested in talking with anyone. I just want to spend time with my buddies and be left alone”. Next step?

a)encourage patient to discuss trauma in details

b)provide info about range of reactions to trauma

c)recommend group therapy with other trauma survivors (wrong)

d)recommend 1-month medical leave of absence from active duty

e) recommend a physician-led trauma debriefing series

f)recommend a 12-step program

g) begin clonazepam

h)begin fluoxetine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
B B B, in my opinion

1. Yeah I think I would agree with you on B. He's only been on it for 2 weeks, and I recall that it usually takes 4-6 weeks for SSRI's to have the full effect. Now if it had been past that, I would switch him over to fluoxetine. For a second there I was going to jump to D but there is that time limit. Then again, I could be wrong and D could be the right answer.

2. A little tricky, but reading back in Uworld leads me to pick a), amphetamine intoxication. I've yet to see a hallucination question in Uworld, but I think it would be more obvious with those types of illicit drugs.

3. The one I couldn't figure out for the longest time, and I probably would have picked B without doing any additional research, but the patient has benzo overdose. She went into respiratory distress 35 mins after the 3 IV doses of Benzo, which leads me to believe that its because of the benzos. Also, 2 hours later, she is still agitated and confused, which can occur with benzo tox/overdose

3) I did consider a benzo over dose, however, since it is an anxiolytic, its overdose would not be expected to cause agitation, high blood pressure, tachycardia and tremors. So the only explanation is still under treated alcohol withdrawal. So I chose Haloperidol instead of additional diazepam to stay safe and avoid the risk of causing BZN tox.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3) I did consider a benzo over dose, however, since it is an anxiolytic, its overdose would not be expected to cause agitation, high blood pressure, tachycardia and tremors. So the only explanation is still under treated alcohol withdrawal. So I chose Haloperidol instead of additional diazepam to stay safe and avoid the risk of causing BZN tox.

Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks! :). But what was the cause of her sudden respiratory depression? The 3 doses of BZD?

1. Yeah I think I would agree with you on B. He's only been on it for 2 weeks, and I recall that it usually takes 4-6 weeks for SSRI's to have the full effect. Now if it had been past that, I would switch him over to fluoxetine. For a second there I was going to jump to D but there is that time limit. Then again, I could be wrong and D could be the right answer.

2. A little tricky, but reading back in Uworld leads me to pick a), amphetamine intoxication. I've yet to see a hallucination question in Uworld, but I think it would be more obvious with those types of illicit drugs.

3. The one I couldn't figure out for the longest time, and I probably would have picked B without doing any additional research, but the patient has benzo overdose. She went into respiratory distress 35 mins after the 3 IV doses of Benzo, which leads me to believe that its because of the benzos. Also, 2 hours later, she is still agitated and confused, which can occur with benzo tox/overdose

question #2 should be amphetamine intoxication. i chose hallucinogen, which was wrong... the question is really tricky...

Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks! :). But what was the cause of her sudden respiratory depression? The 3 doses of BZD?
ya, i was thinking benzo overdose too b/c respiratory depress. so you mean it's too much for the respiratory system but still not enough to treat the DT? why haloperidol?

btw, i added another 4 questions from the 2nd psych form, please take a look at those questions..thanks!

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/management-of-moderate-and-severe-alcohol-withdrawal-syndromes#H9

Refractory delirium tremens — Some patients have refractory delirium tremens (DT) despite treatment with high-dose benzodiazepines.
In patients with refractory DT, barbiturates (specifically phenobarbital) can be very effective when given with benzodiazepines.
Another reasonable alternative is propofol, which can act to open chloride channels in the absence of GABA, and may also antagonize the excitatory amino acids that are upregulated during alcohol withdrawal.....

so according to this, haloperidol probably shouldn't be used..

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/management-of-moderate-and-severe-alcohol-withdrawal-syndromes#H9

Refractory delirium tremens — Some patients have refractory delirium tremens (DT) despite treatment with high-dose benzodiazepines.
In patients with refractory DT, barbiturates (specifically phenobarbital) can be very effective when given with benzodiazepines.
Another reasonable alternative is propofol, which can act to open chloride channels in the absence of GABA, and may also antagonize the excitatory amino acids that are upregulated during alcohol withdrawal.....

so according to this, haloperidol probably shouldn't be used..

Propofol and phenobarbital aren't among the answer choices though. Man I hate questions like this :(.

4) e
5) c
6) g
7) g [Acute stress disorder: PHARMACOTHERAPY — Clinical trials have not yielded sufficient evidence to determine the efficacy of medications for acutely traumatized individuals or those diagnosed with ASD; however, based on our clinical experience, we suggest short-term benzodiazepine treatment of patients with ASD and intense anxiety, agitation, or sleep disturbance in the immediate period following the traumatic event. As an example, clonazepam 0.5 to 2 mg/day in divided doses can be used.] uptodate

I was interested in going through clinical mastery series, but I thought that they provide the answers AND explanations ... don't they?

4) e
5) c
6) g
7) g [Acute stress disorder: PHARMACOTHERAPY — Clinical trials have not yielded sufficient evidence to determine the efficacy of medications for acutely traumatized individuals or those diagnosed with ASD; however, based on our clinical experience, we suggest short-term benzodiazepine treatment of patients with ASD and intense anxiety, agitation, or sleep disturbance in the immediate period following the traumatic event. As an example, clonazepam 0.5 to 2 mg/day in divided doses can be used.] uptodate

I was interested in going through clinical mastery series, but I thought that they provide the answers AND explanations ... don't they?

Nope, no answers, no explanations. I really wanted to do them, but I figured my time would be spent shoring up weaknesses in content. My exam is next Saturday. Seeing these examples is giving me a good idea of the flavor of the questions though.

Nope, no answers, no explanations. I really wanted to do them, but I figured my time would be spent shoring up weaknesses in content. My exam is next Saturday. Seeing these examples is giving me a good idea of the flavor of the questions though.

in that case, it dose not add additional benefit to the NBME..!, that is really bad news..

my exam is in the end of April

in that case, it dose not add additional benefit to the NBME..!, that is really bad news..

my exam is in the end of April

Yeah that's the main thing...why does the NBME insist on not giving answers and explanations?!?! To either their practice exams or these questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's another one to ponder....

Any ideas?

A 2 1/2 year-old boy is brought by his parents for a well-child exam. He recently started attending daycare. The father reports his son protests and hangs on his coat sleeves each morning so the daycare provider cannot take him. He sometimes says he has a stomachache. The daycare provider reports that after the father drives away, the child settles down and plays happily with the other children. He eats well and takes a 90 min nap. When the mother comes and picks him up, he whines, stamps his feet, clings to the daycare provider, and demands cookies. PE shows no abnormalities, which is the most likely diagnosis?

A. Adjustment d/o w/ anxiety
B. Adjustment d/o w/ depressed mood
C. Dysthymic d/o
D. Factitious d/o
E. Generalized anxiety d/o
F. MDD
G. Oppositional defiant disorder
H. Panic disorder
I. Parent-child relational problem
J. PTSD
K. Separation anxiety disorder
L. Sleep terror disorder
M. Normal reaction

Here's another one to ponder....

Any ideas?

A 2 1/2 year-old boy is brought by his parents for a well-child exam. He recently started attending daycare. The father reports his son protests and hangs on his coat sleeves each morning so the daycare provider cannot take him. He sometimes says he has a stomachache. The daycare provider reports that after the father drives away, the child settles down and plays happily with the other children. He eats well and takes a 90 min nap. When the mother comes and picks him up, he whines, stamps his feet, clings to the daycare provider, and demands cookies. PE shows no abnormalities, which is the most likely diagnosis?

A. Adjustment d/o w/ anxiety
B. Adjustment d/o w/ depressed mood
C. Dysthymic d/o
D. Factitious d/o
E. Generalized anxiety d/o
F. MDD
G. Oppositional defiant disorder
H. Panic disorder
I. Parent-child relational problem
J. PTSD
K. Separation anxiety disorder
L. Sleep terror disorder
M. Normal reaction

To me it sounds like Separation Anxiety disorder, but I'm not sure. It also could just be a normal reaction.

Last edited:
I answered Separation Anxiety d/o and it was wrong! Now I'm wondering if it could be oppositional defiant??

If separation anxiety is wrong then it must be a normal reaction (M)

Thinking about it now, Separation anxiety has to be a consistent behavior. This child, kind of jumps between his father and the caregiver at the daycare. I believe separation anxiety is focused on a singular person, and for a longer period of time.

I have one!

21 yo women brought into the ED by police for threatening to kill her boyfriend with a meat cleaver. Hx of domestic violence and sexual abuse from the boyfriend. She has been diagnosed with MDD and successfully treated with an antidepressant. Boyfriends threw away her pills 2 mo. ago and she never got her prescription refilled. Lost her job 2 wks. ago, no family in the area, tearful and labile affect. Rather kill her boyfriend than herself, sometimes hears dead mom's voice telling her to defend herself. Next step?

A) Encourage pt. to press charges agains her boyfriend.
B) Contact boyfriend for couple's counseling.
C) Outpatient support group.
D) Reinitiate antidepressant.
E) Admit to pysch unit.

Thank you in advance for you help!

E Admit to psych unit.
I took it online, and this did not appear on my extended feedback.

My reasoning is that she is a threat not only to herself, but to her boyfriend and potentially others around her. She has psychotic features and letting her leave the hospitable will be a huge mistake. This is just my 2 cents, feel free to correct or add to the reasoning.

E Admit to psych unit.
I took it online, and this did not appear on my extended feedback.

My reasoning is that she is a threat not only to herself, but to her boyfriend and potentially others around her. She has psychotic features and letting her leave the hospitable will be a huge mistake. This is just my 2 cents, feel free to correct or add to the reasoning.

No, after researching a bit more, I found out E is correct so your thinking it right. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
32 yo thinks he's losing his mind. For the past yr. he's been having intrusive thoughts of killing his 4 yo son. He doesn't want to do this and knows the thoughts are ridiculous. He's worried something his happening to him. The thoughts are especially prevalent when he's reading scriptures. He's hasn't told anyone about these "repulsive ideas." First yr. of college he sought out counseling for an adjustment problem. No FHx of psych illnesses, mom is said to be overly anxious. MSE shows he's embarrassed and mildly anxious. Diagnosis?

A) Bipolar.
B) Dysthymic.
C) GAD.
D) MDD.
E) OCD.
F) Schizoaffective disorder.
G) Schizophrenia.

I had originally chosen G and got it wrong... now I'm thinking E. Any thoughts?

E) OCD
This question did not show up on my extended feedback when I took it online, so I can assure you E is the right answer.

There is question similar to this in UW as well.
Thoughts of killing, and praying afterwards continously to prevent themselves from doing so. Something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
42 yo woman presents with suicidal thoughts, depression, emotional liability, and poor concentration. Father and sister have similar symptoms. Doesn't drink or take meds because they exacerbate her GI distress. Neuro exam shows decreased joint position sense and + Romberg sign. MSE shows depressed mood. Diagnosis?

A) Acute Intermittent Porphyria.
B) Lyme Disease.
C) MS.
D) Somatization Disorder.
E) SLE.

Can anyone explain the difference between adjustment disorder with depressed mood and a mood disorder due to a generalized medical condition. If a medical condition can cause either an adjustment disorder or a mood disorder, how can I differentiate between the two?

21 yo. man with 3 wk. history of muscle aches and fatigue with exercise is worried he might have MS. 2 mo. ago he was concerned the mole on his right arm was cancerous. Physician reassured him. 1 mo. ago he had lateral chest pain while jogging. ECG was normal, he was relieved after he heard the results. Normal VS, normal PE. Males full eye contact and is cooperative. Diagnosis?

A) Conversion Disorder.
B) Delusional disorder, somatic type.
C) Fictitious Disorder.
D) Hypochondriasis.
E) Somatization Disorder.

I picked B thinking it can't be D because he's easily assured by the physical and the test results, which is the same reason why I don't think it's C. He also doesn't have a secondary gain. E needs to have 4 pain, 2 GI, 1 sexual, and 1 pseudoneurologic, so that's can't be it. And the symptom is not neurologic or accompanied by a stressor so it't not A.

I need help! Hahaha. Please... :)

42 y/o man comes to physician for routine health maintenance exam. Has fatigue, anxiety, decreased work performance since divorce 2 months ago. No weight gain/weight loss and denies depression. Takes no meds, doesn't smoke or use drugs; drinks 1-2alcoholic beverages weekly. Has difficulty falling asleep 1-2x weekly. No family hx of psych illnesses. Appears anxious but affect is otherwise normal. Physical is noncontributory. CBC, biochemical profile, TFTs WNL. Next step in management?

A. biofeedback
B. psychotherapy
C. administration of fluoxetine daily
D. administration of flurazepam nightly
E. administration of trazodone daily

21 yo. man with 3 wk. history of muscle aches and fatigue with exercise is worried he might have MS. 2 mo. ago he was concerned the mole on his right arm was cancerous. Physician reassured him. 1 mo. ago he had lateral chest pain while jogging. ECG was normal, he was relieved after he heard the results. Normal VS, normal PE. Males full eye contact and is cooperative. Diagnosis?

A) Conversion Disorder.
B) Delusional disorder, somatic type.
C) Fictitious Disorder.
D) Hypochondriasis.
E) Somatization Disorder.

I picked B thinking it can't be D because he's easily assured by the physical and the test results, which is the same reason why I don't think it's C. He also doesn't have a secondary gain. E needs to have 4 pain, 2 GI, 1 sexual, and 1 pseudoneurologic, so that's can't be it. And the symptom is not neurologic or accompanied by a stressor so it't not A.

I need help! Hahaha. Please... :)
I think the answer is D. It is possible to reassure some hypochondriacs. The problem is that the reassurance does not last for very long. That is why he keeps coming back thinking he's sick every few weeks.

I wouldn't pick B because there is no single delusion - his self-diagnosis keeps changing. I agree with your reasoning on A, C, and E.

#3 is D, add more Diazepam. I chose it and didn't get it wrong.

The patient still has tremors, hyper-reflexia and "remains" agitated. Sounds like DTs, not benzo seizures. The benzos didn't do enough to counteract the alcohol, even though they put her into respiratory depression. The patient is breathing mechanically now, so the concern about respiratory depression is diminished.

Avoid Haloperidol (which can incur seizures in these patients).
Phenytoin is an anti-seizure medication that won't do anything for the CNS excitation.
B1 doesn't affect this disease process.