Clinical LOR requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentloading

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school's premed office does a committee letter packet & they require a clinical letter of recommendation for it. I'm wondering though, what med schools require a clinical letter of recommendation? Not sure if the schools on my list don't or if I'm just missing something...

Are there any med schools (MD programs) that you guys have applied to/ know of that require a clinical LOR?
If so, who did yall get it from? Does it have to be a physician? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Most medical schools don’t require a clinical letter. However, your committee for your undergrad may have its own rules in order to obtain a letter from them. It seems like a very silly requirement, but if you want a committee letter, you’ll probably have to obtain one.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any med schools (MD programs) that you guys have applied to/ know of that require a clinical LOR?
Schools wanting a Clinical or Physician Letter: USUHS , Med Col of GA, Seton Hall Hackensack, AZ-Tucson&Phoenix, [and historically: RFU, Utah].

Please add to this list if you are aware of others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that your school's pre-med office may have no official way to document that you have clinical experience (unlike their access to your academic records showing courses taken, credit earned for research, awards granted by the university, etc). Asking you to submit a clinical letter is the way that they can document that you've acquired some clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 users
University of New Mexico requires a clinical LOR from someone you did your clinical experience with. I got two from the physicians I worked with at two different institutions, but I can only submit one. One, I had to ask. The other offered without me asking.

EDIT: They allow clinical LORs from RNs, NPs, and PAs as well.