Clinical job or volunteer in research lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again, and thank you for visiting my weekly, if not daily post, featuring me freaking out about yet another facet of preparing for grad school.

For reference I live in NYC, have 2 years of lab experience/lab manager for 1, got my BA this year, and am applying to phd programs next fall. I'm working on about 4 manuscripts (where I'm 1st-3rd author) this fall and some 10 posters where I'm 1st on most of them. graduated with a terrible gpa (3.0 overall, 4.0 psych, 4.0 last 60 cred.) and little/no idea what my GRE would be (not too high so need to study for months)

I just interviewed for a full-time job as a TA for a school for children with neuro-developmental delays. It would probably pay around 30k a year (which isn't much, but along with my husband's income would be a big help).

I have also heard back from a lab or two from Columbia U. about volunteer positions that may be available for me to fill. These labs are much more aligned with my interests (I want to explore and zone in/pick my official research interest before applying to grad school and this would allow me to explore), but I definitely know that I do not want to continue working on the research I am doing currently, in grad school.

If I get/accept this or some other clinical position, I would likely only be able to work in a lab after 5pm most days of the week (and I doubt any lab would want an RA like that; I certainly would not). Should I forgo the job and get more research experience in an unpaid RA position/continue looking for part-time work? Or should I be all set with working, continuing writing manuscripts with my current lab, and studying for the GRE?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If I get/accept this or some other clinical position, I would likely only be able to work in a lab after 5pm most days of the week (and I doubt any lab would want an RA like that; I certainly would not).
Have you asked the two labs about your potential hours if you accepted the paid job offer?

Have you asked the two labs about your potential hours if you accepted the paid job offer?
Yes, one said weekends plus a weekday meeting. Maybe the clinical job is fine considering I’m working on posters and manuscripts in my current lab. I doubt I’d get publishing opportunities within this year at a new lab though I would like some new experiences

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you wait/host/babysit for money (this would probably get you more than 30k anyhow), volunteer in the two relevant labs, and work on the pubs/posters in your free time?

Could you wait/host/babysit for money (this would probably get you more than 30k anyhow), volunteer in the two relevant labs, and work on the pubs/posters in your free time?
I have certainly considered this, I just feel like I wouldn’t be able to handle all of that(let’s say even a part time job (30 hours), at least 15 hours a week for the new lab, and say 10-15 hours a week to write), especially considering how I kept telling myself I would never have to waitress another day of my life after undergrad ha! I’m going to an interview tomorrow for one of the labs and I’m not sure I can “squeeze in” the manuscripts into my free time if I’m also working.

Looks like it comes down to joining another lab for no pay or getting a full time job while I work on manuscripts.

I’m the meantime I’m still applying to paid research positions, but my hope is quickly diminishing

I have certainly considered this, I just feel like I wouldn’t be able to handle all of that(let’s say even a part time job (30 hours), at least 15 hours a week for the new lab, and say 10-15 hours a week to write), especially considering how I kept telling myself I would never have to waitress another day of my life after undergrad ha! I’m going to an interview tomorrow for one of the labs and I’m not sure I can “squeeze in” the manuscripts into my free time if I’m also working.

Looks like it comes down to joining another lab for no pay or getting a full time job while I work on manuscripts.

I’m the meantime I’m still applying to paid research positions, but my hope is quickly diminishing

I would see what the time commitments are for the labs. Also, I imagine the research would not require 15 hours/week (at least not consistently), particularly for the things on which you're not first author.

Good luck!

I would see what the time commitments are for the labs. Also, I imagine the research would not require 15 hours/week (at least not consistently), particularly for the things on which you're not first author.

Good luck!
Thanks! And they’re asking for a min of 10hours and I was told I’d be the only one collecting data so I assume it would be like four weekday mornings or afternoons. It can be a little tough getting a job for specific times aside from this.

Reactions: 1 user