Clinical Informatics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing a couple IM guys at my hospital meetings that are heralded as clinical informatics 'experts.' Anyone know of any good/relevant online programs to get additional training on this subject? Beyond the lab side, I feel a little ignorant of what happens in the background with the data in our EMR.

Members don't see this ad.

The ASCP has a University of Pathology Informatics (UPI) course that I have gotten use out of. It is a little bit of an overview in many places (in particular more technical stuff is pretty basic if you have any knowledge of basic network, software development, or database design) but it does introduce a number of higher level topics in terms of more executive levels stuff (governance, business related stuff) as well as things like WSI and business analytics that I found helpful. If you fulfill the curriculum and submit a final project, there is a certification the ASCP provides as the endpoint of UPI. If you need CME/SAM it is pretty cheap (they have about 20 lectures with each one 1.5 CME or SAM eligible).

You could also read Pantanowitz et al book on informatics, which has a fair amount of the same material (although I found the lectures in the UPI curriculum a little more engaging).

The Association of Pathology Informatics has a journal and good mailing list (or at least used to...haven't been on it for several years). There are probably more clinical and less pathology oriented societies/journals available that Dr. Google can help you find.

Reactions: 1 users