Clinical Experience - mostly paid work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwarfplanet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as an MRI technician assistant at hospitals and outpatient centers which involves working directly with inpatients and doctors. This will end up being ~2000 hours of paid clinical work.

I also volunteer once a week at a children's hospital, but it's really just playing with the kids and keeping them company. By the time I apply I'll probably have about ~150 hours.

First, is the unpaid work sufficient for "clinical" exposure since I'm not really doing anything directly medical related? Is it enough hours? And I realize I have a decent amount of paid clinical work, but will it be docked because it's paid?

Basically, how am I looking in the clinical experience department?

Members don't see this ad.

The paid clinical experience is good.

Don't downplay the children's hospital volunteer work as the adcoms here say that it's good to show that you have the ability to work with different patient populations and to show altruism.

Reactions: 1 user
You dont need clinical volunteering. You can have (and should) nonclinical volunteering and pair clinical work and it count just the same... just in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
You dont need clinical volunteering. You can have (and should) nonclinical volunteering and pair clinical work and it count just the same... just in my opinion

Okay, great. I do have quite a bit of non clinical volunteering (more than clinical volunteering) so that’s good to hear.

Thanks for responding!

I also volunteer once a week at a children's hospital, but it's really just playing with the kids and keeping them company. By the time I apply I'll probably have about ~150 hours.

1) First, is the unpaid work sufficient for "clinical" exposure since I'm not really doing anything directly medical related? Is it enough hours?

2) And I realize I have a decent amount of paid clinical work, but will it be docked because it's paid?

3) Basically, how am I looking in the clinical experience department?
1) At 150 hours, volunteering in a pediatric unit would have been sufficient in and of itself, as you were directly interacting with current patients. That the experience was "fun" doesn't take away from that.

2) No.

3) Excellent, between the volunteer and paid clinical activities you've engaged in.

Reactions: 1 users
1) At 150 hours, volunteering in a pediatric unit would have been sufficient in and of itself, as you were directly interacting with current patients. That the experience was "fun" doesn't take away from that.

2) No.

3) Excellent, between the volunteer and paid clinical activities you've engaged in.

Thank you for the concise answers! I feel much more confident now, I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user