Clinical Experience Blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akiramay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Clinical Instructor gave me a great idea to journal my clinical experience so that's what I'm doing! Feel free to read if you want. :) I thought it'd be helpful for current or prospective students wondering what clinicals may be like! Sorry if I ramble, and some of what I wrote down might be off, I just spewed out what I could remember from this week. :p

CE II Blog
Week 1:

I just finished (or more like survived) my first week of my second clinical experience! I'm at an outpatient clinic and am enjoying it way more than I expected. I think I was afraid that I wouldn't like it because I enjoyed working in acute care during my first clinical, which is very different from outpatient. I also knew that I liked working with older patients, so I didn't know what to expect from this clinical. But a lot of my patients are older, like in their 70's and 80's. Most are middle-aged (40's to 60's). I've even had some younger patients, a 10 year old, and two 20 year olds, and I have enjoyed working with them more than I thought I would. I loved acute care working with patients on more basic needs like bed mobility, transfers, gait training, and stair training. I have been able to work on some gait and stair training, but I have enjoyed working on higher level things too, like exercises with resistance bands and weights, stretching, and balance training. Needless to say, I have been pleasantly surprised with my outpatient experience! I have enjoyed coming in everyday, learning and accomplishing more and more. And I love being in the gym. The whole environment is exciting! There's different people doing different exercises and it's fun to just see what other treatments are going on.

Anyways, the reason why I say it was more like I survived the week was because work is exhausting! I was getting about 7 hours of sleep every night, but that wasn't enough for me to give 100%. Coffee helped immensely. I am on my feet most of the day, but I have tried to sit down more when I can to give my legs a break. I'm walking with patients, gathering and setting up equipment, etc. that has also contributed to being more tired. Also, I'm interacting with patients the whole day, thinking about what to do and chatting with them, which is a little draining. I just need to get used to it, but I know if I stay on top of sleep, exercise, and proper nutrition I'll have the energy to give it my all everyday next week. I have to give it my all because that's why I'm there, to give my patients the care and attention they need. They have been so enjoyable to say the least. I have enjoyed the diversity I have come across in terms of age, race, personality, diagnosis, etc. It has made things very interesting and has kept me on my toes! I'll discuss a few of the patients I've had, starting with my younger patients:

One of my patients is a 10 year old boy with mild scoliosis. He is shy and quiet but very sweet. My clinical instructor (CI) and I have been working on back extension exercises to help correct his curvature and also decrease his slight thoracic kyphosis. We've also worked on some spinal stabilization exercises such as tossing a ball while standing on a BOSU ball. We've been adding things to his home exercise program (HEP) every session to continue his progression. Last time, we gave him a C-stretch, which makes him stretch his spine like a C but opposite his curvature to stretch the tight muscles on the concave side.

Another young patient of mine is 20 years old. She was actually in a car accident. She wasn't hurt badly, just shaken up, but she complained to her doctor about neck and scapular pain and so was referred to physical therapy (PT). The doctor and my CI think she is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder which is making her think that she is in more pain than she is. My CI thinks this because whenever the patient comes into the clinic, she tells us that she had pain in random places (her calves during class) or her low back one day and then her neck the next, but every exercise we have given her, she can do just fine and doesn't have any pain or limitations. My CI is kind of stumped but doing the best she can to try to reduce any pain she may have. Her intervention has included activities like prone press-ups, and scapular retraction and shoulder extension using therabands while sitting on a stability ball. My CI has also done some soft tissue mobilization to her cervical extensors, as well as some cervical manual traction and capital extensor release to relieve any tension she has in her neck. She is a student, so this is a good intervention for her since she is probably hunched over in a forward head posture studying (so this would be good for me too! Ha ha)

My last younger patient is also 20 years old. He has been the most intriguing case by far! He woke up one morning with excruciating abdominal pain and went to his doctor. He has been dealing with this pain for 4 months! The doctors are stumped and don't know what's causing his pain, so he was referred to PT where the main goal was to decrease his pain. One would want to raise a red flag because of this patient's area of pain. Abdominal pain could be due to an abdominal aortic aneurysm, malignancy, GI dysfunction, appendicitis, the list goes on and on, but every test has been done on him and has come back negative, including any MRI and CT scan findings! My CI knew it involves at least some sort of musculoskeletal condition because she palpated his abdominal area and felt muscle spasms. When I first met him, he took a long time to stand up and had a grimace on his face. He walked slowly in a flexed posture and was very guarded. He was given ultrasound and electrical stimulation (interferential current) to his abdominal area which gave him temporary relief of his pain. I felt badly for him because he has had this pain for a while now. He hasn't been able to work out, it's hard for him to walk, he can't drive, and has missed a lot of school. He told me he wants to go to medical school and become a doctor now because of this. Per his doctor's request, we issued this patient a home TENS (therapeutic electrical nerve stimulation) unit so that he can have the pain relief whenever he needs it, which is pretty much all the time. My CI's long term goal was to have the patient be independent in his pain management, which he accomplished by receiving the home unit, so we discharged him from PT. My CI had a relaxation CD that she let him borrow which she thought may help at least relieve some stress he has from his condition. He was going to burn the CD and come back sometime next week to return it. I hope that his pain will go away and that the doctors find out what's wrong. My CI said he'd make a good case study. I hope that I will be able to find out the outcome of his situation!

I was very happy to hear that my CI deals with a lot of patients with vestibular problems. I found this subject very interesting in school so I was glad to be able to do some of the skills and intervention strategies! I performed the Canalith-Repositioning Manuever on a woman with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). When I brought her down onto her side, I saw upbeating nystagmus. This made sense because I was stimulating the posterior canal of her inner ear. I then took her through the rest of the sequence to try to move the crystals into their proper position. Her HEP included keeping her eyes focused on a target (an X) against a plain wall while shaking her head side to side, but she progressed by having the target be a checkerboard pattern and placed against the TV screen with the TV on. This adds more complexity to improve her gaze stability.

Another patient I have doesn't complain about dizziness, which is more likely with BPPV, but she complains of feeling unsteady and off balance, indicative of vestibular hypofunction. We have been working more on desensitizing her system while performing head movements. She really doesn't like having to go to therapy and just wants the problem to go away. She also feels self conscious doing a lot of the exercises out in the hall where there's people around, or bouncing a ball that she says is too loud, so my CI has to educate her a lot on why we do each exercise and why it's good for her. We've had her walk or stand on foam while shaking her head side to side and up and down but while keeping her eyes focused on a target in front of her. This is desensitizing her system so that she doesn't feel dizzy when she moves her head. Often with vestibular hypofunction, the eyes move with head movement and can't stay focused on a target, causing the patient to lose their balance. We incorporated ball tosses while side-stepping and tandem stance to improve her balance in general as well.

Like I said, I have quite a few middle aged patients! Many have had a total knee replacement/arthroplasty (TKA), but one patient I have had a minimally invasive knee replacement! The incision is a lot smaller, and instead of cutting through the ligaments and muscle, they are simply pulled to the side. Patients go home the same day of the surgery and display a lot of knee range of motion (ROM)! My patient told me the website so I checked it out. The only surgeon to do this is a guy from Rush University. It's very interesting! That patient had a right TKA a few years ago, and he hated all the difficulty he had with trying to gain back strength and ROM, the time it took to walk without assistance, and how long he had to be in the hospital. So that's why he decided to get the minimally invasive surgery when he found out he needed to get a left TKA. He actually has better ROM on the left, but his main problem is there is a lot more swelling. We have been working on increasing his strength and ROM by having him warm up on a stationary bike then walking backwards on a treadmill (works the quad more), knee flexion and calf stretches, squats on an inclined device to take away some body weight (he's progressed from double leg squats with 15 lbs to left single leg squats without any weight), step up and overs on a small box, single limb stance on a foam pad (promotes co-contraction), knee extension of a fitter board, and then wrapping up with a cold pack on his knee. He started a new exercise that I never heard of called the matrix that has him performing mini-lunges in a clock formation (forward, diagonally, to the side, backwards). I've pretty much taken over the whole treatment session for this patient, and my CI kind of ‘backed off' as she put it. It was cool to see him as my patient. We chatted and laughed and it was fun! A lot of my patients like to crack jokes, and it's interesting hearing all about their jobs and lives.

We had a lot of treatments this week and only two evaluations, but we've got a few more evals next week so that'll be good because I need to work on those skills! My CI has done the interviews but I was able to do the manual muscle tests (MMTs), check ROM, and perform some special tests! A lady complained of back and hip pain, and when my CI told me to perform the Scour and FABER tests I was able to do them correctly. My CI was impressed that I performed them quickly and with proper form. The lady complained that the pain in her back was worse in the morning, it came on gradually, and that it's worse in standing and okay in sitting. My CI said this is indicative of degenerative joint/disc disease, which is like arthritis and is common in people her age. My CI did a sciatic nerve tension test which was negative to rule out any neural adhesions or disc herniation. The patient also complained of pain on the side of her hip, pointing near the IT band. I tested her hip abduction and it was significantly weak on the side she complained of. She also complained of pain when she laid on that side. That led us to hypothesize that she has bursitis, since there is a bursa under the greater trochanter that is being irritated when she lies on it. She also complained of pain there when performing the FABER test, which places her leg into Flexion, Abduction, and External Rotation. The Scour test was performed to rule out any hip pathology by compressing and rolling the femoral head in the acetabulum. It was great to be able to apply and integrate what I have learned so far this year in my musculoskeletal class in a real life setting!

The other eval we had was a woman with shoulder pain. The doctor's note said she had rotator cuff tendonitis. From the interview we found out that she has tingling from a little bit above her biceps into the 2nd and 3rd fingers. This led me to hypothesize median nerve involvement, since the median nerve distributions is into the 2nd, 3rd, and half of the 4th finger (thumb as well). The ulnar nerve distribution is the other half of the 4th finger and the 5th finger. I did the MMT and the patient had 5/5 strength, which means I wasn't able to break her form with my force. She did have some pain on the side of the pain/tingling with shoulder abduction though. I haven't had my upper extremity musculoskeletal class yet so I was glad I could get a little ahead and learn about the special tests that my CI performed. She did what is called Tinnel's test, which involved tapping the median nerve near the wrist to see if it reproduced her symptoms, which it didn't. Because the woman's symptoms were above the wrist and not just in the hand, we could rule out Carpal Tunnel syndrome, where the median nerve becomes compressed under the flexor retinaculum. The patient then laid down supine and my CI performed some nerve tension testing of the ulnar nerve. This involves moving the fingers, wrist, elbow, then shoulder into positions that would lengthen the nerve so we could see if that nerve was involved and would elicit the tingling into the fingers. This would indicate neural adhesions somewhere along the nerve's path. The woman didn't feel anything with the ulnar nerve tension test. My CI asked me if I wanted to perform the median nerve tension test, which I said yes, but then I couldn't remember the exact sequence, so I had to let her do it! That's something to review before the start of the week. She didn't feel much with that either. My CI told me to stretch the patient's biceps, so I put her into shoulder extension, elbow extension, and supination. This produced tingling into the 2nd and 3rd digits! So from that we could see that the biceps was tight and probably compressing the median nerve where it enters the biceps. The woman also said that her doctor said her neck was really tense. We palpated and found that her upper trapezius muscles were really tight. So we printed out a biceps strength and a lateral neck flexion stretch for her to start as her HEP. Even though this session was just an initial evaluation, my CI always likes to perform a treatment or give the patient something to do at home so that they feel like they can start getting better from therapy right away which is great!

We've had a few cancellations or times when we don't have any patients booked, so my CI and I chat or catch up on documentation (the space provided to write our SOAP notes is very small, so thankfully those stay short and concise and don't take long to do!). We've also taken advantage of extra time by having me practice things on my CI like ultrasound or shoulder mobilizations. It's good ‘cause I can get feedback and feel comfortable doing them on real patients! I also got introduced to the laser machine on Friday. I only learned about the concepts of it in my electrophysiological agents class but never practiced with it like we did with e-stim, biofeedback, iontophoresis, etc. Laser therapy is used to decrease pain just like e-stim but with a low level red laser. My CI tried it out on me so I could see what it felt like! She applied the probe to my right upper trap (I picked that ‘cause I know it's tense, lol). I didn't feel much with the continuous current, so we switched to pulsed current and I could feel it more. Afterwards, my right trap felt so much better and my left side was jealous! Ha ha.

On another note, I'm really grateful for my CI. She's extremely nice and I feel like I will have a great experience with her. She gives me good feedback when I do something. She's also great with explaining why we're doing a certain exercise or test. She also asks me questions (What muscles are working here? What could we do to progress this exercise?) and adds other insight into diagnoses or treatments. When I'm not sure what a patient's medication is, she'll encourage me to look it up. I've also reviewed different aspects of treatment like for the vestibular dysfunction since I hadn't had the class in a while so I can be ready to offer input the next day when we have that patient. She's also good with the progression of letting me do things independently. Like I said, I'm pretty much handling one patient independently now, and have been able to help out with evals. My CI said she'd like for me to handle about 50% of a full patient caseload by the end of the 6 weeks, and I know I can reach that goal! I'm excited to see how much I learn and progress in the weeks ahead, and what new challenges await me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You cannot possibly fathom how excited I am about this!! This is precisely why I wanted this PT section created! I am offering you the largest thank you in advance. If you can keep up with the blog on top of your clinical work then I think it will be a great resource for us pre-PTs or even PT1s who have not started their clinical clerkships yet.

Thanks so much for this post. I am going out on my first outpatient clinical starting July 25th. It's my first clinical so I am really excited/nervous. It's great to read about your experience. Also, based on some of the treatments/tests you talked about, I realize how much I know right now and that I am more ready than I might feel sometimes! Will be looking forward to future posts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Akiramay,

Is it okay to say that I love a little more for this today? 'Cuz I do. A great resource and I'm glad you've taken the time out of your busy days to do this! Hopefully, it was all typed and not handwritten journal entries?

Thanks again!

What an awesome post! It makes me really glad that I am documenting my schooling experience via blogger.com (although right now it's just been prerrequisite/preparing for the start of school stuff).

Thanks so much for being willing to write that all down and share it with us!!

You're welcome everyone! I'm glad you took the time to read my blog and that you're getting something out of it. And no, don't worry, I didn't hand write this, I typed it all out. I'm surprised how I can remember so much, seeing as my memory can be bad at times. Ha ha. Anyways, enjoy!

Week 2:

Week 2 has ended successfully! This week just FLEW by! We were pretty booked with patients this week, but not really any more than last week. I think it went by faster because I was interacting with the patients and offering my own input more and observing less. I saw a lot of patients that I had seen during week 1. I see my patients with TKA's 3x/week, so we've been developing a bond. Some patients are more talkative than others, but I'm feeling kind of like a mother hen to them all. I want to take care of them and help them get better. When we progress an exercise or see improvements in strength or ROM, I get so excited! I am absolutely loving what I'm doing! There was another 2nd year PT student here who just finished up a 10 week clinical on Thursday and it reminded me how bittersweet it is to leave a world that you took so much time to get used to. I shouldn't think about that right now though. I still have 4 more weeks and I'll make sure to cherish them all!

I had some interesting patients this week! One man had cervical and shoulder pain due to his extremely bad forward head posture- flexed neck and rounded shoulders. He was hunched over so much that during the initial evaluation he had to have 3 pillows under his head when he lay supine because his head could not reach the mat. By the time I saw him he only needed 2 pillows. Who knew pillows would be a good way to mark progress? One of the patient's goals was to be able to turn his head enough to look over his shoulders so that he could start driving again and also to be able to reach into high cabinets, so we worked on increasing his cervical and shoulder ROM. A few exercises we had him doing were shoulder flexion and extension on pulleys, turning a big wheel on a machine that could increase in resistance, scapular retraction with therabands, sliding a wash cloth up and down a railing, rolling a stability ball diagonally on the ground with his hand, and doing chin tucks. He had increased his ROM quite a bit since the initial eval, but he still has a ways to go!

I also worked with a sweet older lady with Parkinson's Disease (PD). People with PD have trouble initiating movements and need a lot of external cues, so my CI and I geared our treatment sessions to that. We took her outside and had her walk on the pavement that was slightly inclined. This was a good way to challenge her balance and gait on different surfaces. It was sooo bright outside, but it was good to get out for a little because it was so nice out! We went back inside and lined up cones inside the parallel bars and had her walk and side-step over the cones without knocking them over. She was doing well so we progressed her by having her step over larger obstacles outside the parallel bars. We also had her perform the clock or matrix exercise, where the patient lunges in a clock formation. Earlier we had a patient with a TKA perform this exercise, but we had to adapt it with her by placing cones to act as markers for where we wanted her to lunge towards. I also had to add verbal cues to tell her which color cone to step to next, which leg to step out with and bring back, etc. These external cues were vital for her to successfully complete the activity. She also went from a 47 to 49/56 when we retested her on the Berg Balance Scale, so her balance is slightly improving and is already pretty good!

I had a patient complain of pain on the front of her shin (she's being seen for post-op knee surgery though). She was wearing the Sketcher's Shape Ups, so I examined them and saw that the shoes place the foot into some plantar flexion. This is why you 'shape up', you're on your toes more and have to co-contract to balance and stabilize yourself. The patient was having pain in her tibialis anterior because since she is in plantar flexion, the dorsiflexors have to work harder to clear the toes during gait. She doesn't wear her shoes often since she walks barefoot in the house, so her muscles aren't used to the extra strain. Anyway, the next day when we saw her she was wearing sandals! Not the best shoe choice but at least she took our advice!

I had quite a few evals this week. One patient had slipped on wet pavement, fell, and fractured her patella. She was in a knee extensor brace which keeps the knee locked into extension. The doctor had ordered for us to perform only passive ROM (PROM)(we move the knee for the patient) for the first 6 weeks because any active ROM (AROM) would involve the patient producing a muscle contraction which could rupture the patellar tendon and cause need for further surgery. Having the brace on keeps the knee in extension to allow for proper healing to occur. The doctor's order was for us to bring the patient's knee into 40o of knee flexion for 0-3 weeks post-op and to 60o 3-6 weeks post-op. Our patient hadn't taken her pain meds before the session, but she tolerated us flexing her knee to 40 o pretty well! She said she'd take the pain meds beforehand from now though, ‘cause it did still hurt! My CI and I smelled smoke on her, so my CI also had to educate the patient that smoking slows down the healing process. She told her that since less oxygen is getting to the tissues, it may take longer for her to fully recover and that if she could she should try to cut down on smoking. The lady said, ‘Oh I don't smoke a lot, only a pack a day.' Last time I checked, that was a lot! My CI told her she wasn't there to lecture her, but just that it was her duty to inform her about it. It just reinforces the important role we have as PTs in educating the patients and thinking about all aspects of care. Anyways, after the 6 weeks are up, she'll go back to her doctor for a re-evaluation and we will get a new order for physical therapy with more parameters, probably further knee flexion PROM as well starting open chain AROM exercises. Since the patient won't be using her muscles, she will undergo atrophy and have decreased strength. PT will be crucial for restoring strength and mobility and getting the patient back to her prior level of function.

Another eval was for a man diagnosed with right muscle strain from T5-9. When I interviewed him he pointed and said the pain was from the top of his right shoulder to his lumbar region. I palpated him and he did have muscle tenderness in those areas. He said the pain was intermittent and can be anywhere from a 0-9/10 on the pain scale. He doesn't have pain when he's sleeping, but it comes and goes with any movement, even with just sitting sometimes. His strength from the MMT was a 4+ or 5/5, but he did have pain in the scapular region with right shoulder abduction. I performed the Slump Test on him (tests for sciatic nerve involvement) which was negative, and he didn't have any symptoms radiating into his extremities. My CI and I weren't really clear on what was going on with him since he didn't have a clear pattern of when the pain comes on. From the interview, however, we found out that in the Fall he had fallen onto his right shoulder and heard a crack and had pain in the area he has pain now…but didn't go to the doctor or get any tests done! Even though it was a while ago, my CI was still suspicious of this. She was surprised the patient hadn't gotten an x-ray when he was referred by the doctor in the first place. We called the doctor and it turned out she didn't know about the fall! Shows the importance of doing a thorough interview! So now the patient is going to get an x-ray to clear anything more serious like a fracture before setting up any PT appointments. This patient was also a smoker, so my CI asked about any history of lung cancer or chronic bronchitis since pain in the thoracic area can be referred symptoms (there goes that differential diagnosis again!). We also learned that the patient had diabetes, so I checked his upper and lower extremity sensation, which was intact. We did see some open skin and fungus between his 4th and 5th digit, so we recommended he see his podiatrist about that. People with diabetes are more likely to get skin problems or foot ulcers due to poor circulation, so it's always something to watch out for. Again, total patient care is important!

A patient I saw during week 1 had had really bad left shoulder pain with all ROM's. We would begin the session with ultrasound and e-stim to decrease her pain. Then we had her doing some slow ROM exercises holding onto a cane with both hands and using the right arm to assist in moving the left shoulder into flexion, abduction, and internal and external rotation. But this week, her pain was down a little, so we decided to progress to more ROM exercises. The patient had been using her right arm more and neglecting her left arm since moving it was painful, and we didn't want her to get a frozen shoulder. We had her do shoulder flexion and scaption (moving the shoulder in the scapular plane), climb her fingers as high as she could up a ‘ladder', do snow angels in standing, make circles with a wash cloth on the wall, and take tiny boxes with Velcro on and off a wall with Velcro. We finished the session with a cold pack on her shoulder to decrease any pain and inflammation she may have had due to all the exercise we had her doing. I'm hoping that her pain will go down because she's been a 6-7/10 for the past couple weeks!

I did another eval for a patient diagnosed with bilateral knee osteoarthritis (OA) and gait disorder. During the exam we found that she could hold a single limb stance (SLS) for only 1-2 seconds. She also couldn't perform heel raises in standing. We knew it was because of bad balance and not strength because her MMT showed she had 5/5 strength of her dorsiflexors. From assessing her gait I saw that she had a shortened stride length. My CI asked me why and I answered correctly: weak hip extensors! The patient also complained of having troubling getting up, which made sense ‘cause we saw that she had some difficulty with sit to stand. So I taught the patient a hip extension exercise using a light theraband and how to perform squats and gave that to her as the start of her HEP. PTs are little detectives that have to put the puzzle together and solve the case. This was a little example of that!

The last patient I'll discuss was evaluated by me and my CI last week and had neck and shoulder pain and tingling into the arm. She had forward head posture so we had given her scapular retraction and chin tuck exercises to do for her HEP. Unfortunately, she told us that she had not done any of the exercises. At least she was honest, but I just don't understand why patients go to PT because they want to get better, but then don't do what we ask them to do. I re-iterated the fact that these exercises were easy to do and can be done in sitting when she's watching tv or something. I reviewed the exercises with her and she did the scapular retraction exercise well, though I had to cue her in on not shrugging her shoulders and compensating by using her upper traps. I palpated her mid traps/rhomboids to make sure she was contracting the targeted muscles. I also had to re-teach her the chin tuck. "Bring your ears over your shoulders" and "Keep looking straight, just bring your head back" are good explanations. Most patients just flex their neck and look down, which isn't a proper chin tuck! It also helps to say "Make a double chin", though I've gotten responses like "You mean a fourth chin?" Ha ha. Anyways, when the patient did the chin tuck properly, she actually got the numbness and tingling into her arm! Aha! I noted that the chin tuck was bringing her into cervical extension, and my CI cued me in that it was a sign possibly of degenerative disc/joint disease (DDD/DJD). She asked me what we could do non-exercise-wise to help. With DDD/DJD, the nerve root can be compressed because there is less space in the intervertebral foramen (IVF) where the nerve exits, and even less space with extension, so the first thing I thought of for treatment was manual traction. Manual traction involves lengthening the spine and opening up the IVF, relieving any compression on the nerve. I performed cervical manual traction, palpating her mastoid processes and external occipital protuberances, flex her neck to 20o and gently pulled her neck towards me while she lay supine. Afterwards the patient reported feeling better! I then taught her chin tucks in supine, and she was able to perform those without any symptom reproduction, so we modified her HEP to include those instead of the chin tucks in sitting. After our session, the patient was saying how much better she felt. It made me feel so good that I was a part of that! Hopefully she'll start doing her HEP now that she sees how it'll help her get better. ;)

My CI and I wrote up goals for this week, which was for me to take subjective information with minimal assistance, perform examination skills with good flow (minimizing position changes, etc), and communicating treatment purpose/benefit/duration with patients. There was one time that I didn't really explain ultrasound before using it on a patient, or explain why and how long a patient was warming up on an upper bike ergometer. I also was not used to asking questions during interviews like about difficulty driving or sleeping, or how long the patient can sit or walk without pain, since I never had to ask that during my acute care clinical. So it was really good to come up with a goal sheet because I could see the skills I needed to work on. My CI is trying to get me more comfortable with the interview and examination by stepping back and giving me more of the reigns, which is good. She's also asking me more during treatments about progressing exercises and having me teach or demonstrate exercises to patients. I've been writing SOAP notes with little to no assistance which is cool. After evaluations we have to write up a plan of care (the assessment, goals, interventions, time frame, etc), and I've been able to fill them out with some assistance. My CI continues to have me look up diagnoses or things to review here and there. One of my patients with a TKA talked about a PT using e-stim on his other knee that underwent a TKA. So my CI had me look up articles to see if the evidence supports using e-stim on the quads post-TKA. A systematic review showed inconclusive evidence, and another article showed it didn't show any statistically significant difference in strength and functional outcomes with the e-stim vs. without. That patient is progressing fine with his exercises so we concluded we don't need to use e-stim on him at least for now. It's great that my CI is incorporating evidence-based practice, and getting me to do it too! A patient we had was complimenting my CI and saying that if I had to learn from anyone, she was the one to learn from. I couldn't agree more! My CI said I did a good job this week, and I'm happy with the progress I've been making. Can't wait to see what next week brings!

The last patient I’ll discuss was evaluated by me and my CI last week and had neck and shoulder pain and tingling into the arm. She had forward head posture so we had given her scapular retraction and chin tuck exercises to do for her HEP. Unfortunately, she told us that she had not done any of the exercises. At least she was honest, but I just don’t understand why patients go to PT because they want to get better, but then don’t do what we ask them to do. I re-iterated the fact that these exercises were easy to do and can be done in sitting when she’s watching tv or something. I reviewed the exercises with her and she did the scapular retraction exercise well, though I had to cue her in on not shrugging her shoulders and compensating by using her upper traps. I palpated her mid traps/rhomboids to make sure she was contracting the targeted muscles. I also had to re-teach her the chin tuck. “Bring your ears over your shoulders” and “Keep looking straight, just bring your head back” are good explanations. Most patients just flex their neck and look down, which isn’t a proper chin tuck! It also helps to say “Make a double chin”, though I’ve gotten responses like “You mean a fourth chin?” Ha ha. Anyways, when the patient did the chin tuck properly, she actually got the numbness and tingling into her arm! Aha! I noted that the chin tuck was bringing her into cervical extension, and my CI cued me in that it was a sign possibly of degenerative disc/joint disease (DDD/DJD). She asked me what we could do non-exercise-wise to help. With DDD/DJD, the nerve root can be compressed because there is less space in the intervertebral foramen (IVF) where the nerve exits, and even less space with extension, so the first thing I thought of for treatment was manual traction. Manual traction involves lengthening the spine and opening up the IVF, relieving any compression on the nerve. I performed cervical manual traction, palpating her mastoid processes and external occipital protuberances, flex her neck to 20o and gently pulled her neck towards me while she lay supine. Afterwards the patient reported feeling better! I then taught her chin tucks in supine, and she was able to perform those without any symptom reproduction, so we modified her HEP to include those instead of the chin tucks in sitting. After our session, the patient was saying how much better she felt. It made me feel so good that I was a part of that! Hopefully she’ll start doing her HEP now that she sees how it’ll help her get better. ;)

Glad to see that you're enjoying your clinical!

Some food for thought on the above case:

Patient compliance is typically improved when their HEP decreases or resolves their symptoms. Do the chin tucks decerase her symptoms when performed in supine? If not, is there an exercise you can give her that will? Also, since traction seemed to help, is there a way that the patient can replicate this at home?

And, here is a nice article to have at your disposal when seeing patietns whom you suspect have symptoms of cervcial origin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12544957

Does your patient have any positive tests from the test item cluster?

Akiramay,

Your blog posts are very insightful, and I enjoy reading them! As of now I'm taking prerequisite courses, and I also have to take my GRE exam as well. I can't wait to finally begin PT school. I'm very inspired by your writings, and I'm already learning many new things. Thank you very much!

Thanks again! It's so great to hear how well you are doing!!!

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm an undergrad working on my pre-reqs and it's nice reading your experiences. It gives me the extra motivation I need to continue my education and to do what I love. Good luck with everything and I hope to continue reading more!

Week 3/4:

Had a busy weekend last week, so I'm lumping weeks 3 and 4 together. I definitely cannot believe how fast this clinical is going. I'm only here for 2 more weeks! I can see how I'm growing and improving every day though. At the end of last week I had my midterm evaluation via the Clinical Practice Instrument, an online program. There are 18 criterion about professional practice and patient management that must be commented and rated on, such as safety, communication, clinical reasoning, diagnosis and prognosis, documentation, etc. The rating scale ranges from beginner to beyond entry level. My CI and I had similar comments about my strengths and what areas need further development. What I found during my last clinical is that I rated myself a lot lower than my CI. Partially ‘cause it'd be awkward if I scored myself as being more independent than my CI thinks I am, but mainly because I'm not quite sure of my skills and how confident I am with being more independent and taking on more complex patients or duties. But anyways, I learned a lot from my self-reflection and from my CI's feedback. These next 2 weeks my goals are to better communicate with patients the rationale for treatment and what they should feel, increase patient education by using visual aids or demonstrating exercises, and progressing or modifying treatment interventions accordingly. I also want to ask my CI more questions when working with patients to make sure I understand why we're doing what we're doing.

To start off, this week was extremely stressful emotionally. For the first time, I had to deal with a patient's death. I found out that my 20 year old patient who had that excruciating abdominal pain had died. My CI told me, and I couldn't believe it. I was in complete shock, literally holding back tears. I couldn't stop thinking about him all day. I thought that he had passed away due to whatever was causing his pain, but the next day I found out that he had committed suicide. That was even more devastating to hear…that the pain was so much that he didn't want to live anymore. :( He was so young and had so much going for him. It really made me realize how strong I have to be emotionally for things like this. All I know is that I definitely do not want to work in hospice care or anything like that. It's hard because it's something I'd like to forget, but I can't. I don't think I'll ever forget him.

It was rough though because after hearing that news, I had to go on and do an evaluation for a person who was in a lot of back pain. She had suffered a cervical and lumbar strain after getting in an accident driving a bus. She was really sensitive and told us she had a low pain tolerance. I had started to do the slump test on her and pressed down on her shoulders for the overpressure, but it was too much for her and she started crying. I felt so bad for making her cry! Since she was in such acute pain, I did some soft tissue mobilization to her upper traps and paraspinals while she lay prone, but my CI noted that the patient was breathing faster. I asked her if she was okay and she said that it hurt. So I lessened the pressure and took her through some breathing techniques so that she could relax. I ended up barely using any pressure on her during the massage. I was literally just rubbing her skin lightly, but that was all she could take. We put Biofreeze on her lumbar area which is a gel that has a cooling effect, then gave her a hot pack, which made her feel tons better! I was glad we could make her feel better since she had a rough time at the beginning of the session. I've seen her for quite a few sessions, and she's been feeling better every time. Her pain has gone down from a 9 to 4 out of 10 in just 2-3 weeks. Because of that, I've been weaning her off the hot pack, stopped the ultrasound, and have been using more pressure during soft tissue mobilization. I also started initiating some basic therapeutic exercise, such as posterior pelvic tilts (we started with those, then added marching, then added short arc quads), thoracic extension over a stability ball, scapular retraction, and chin tucks. It's great to be able to add to her treatment sessions and see her progress!

The patient I've been seeing with numbness/tingling into her right arm and shoulder has been getting better, but she still has those symptoms in her shoulder. She recently got a radiograph and we requested the reports, which stated that she has a slight posterolateral disc protrusion at C5/6 and C6/7. We decided to set up mechanical traction for her based on her presentation to relieve the pressure on the nerve roots. The evidence is not very strong for traction vs. therapeutic exercise in terms of increased benefits, but I did find a few articles showing better outcomes when combined with therapeutic exercise. Since she's been doing exercises, the traction might be the little bit that she needs to see all her symptoms go away. We also tried laser therapy on her upper trap on the chronic nerve setting, but she didn't feel it too much of a difference afterwards. I'm not too sure about evidence for laser therapy, so I guess that's something I'll have to look up!

I've been working with a man who had a lumbar fusion, specifically on core stability for his exercise progression. He still has pain after coming up from bending forward, which my CI told me means he still needs strengthening of his small spinal stabilizers like multifidus, and also his transverse abdominus. We've had him doing scapular retraction/rowing and pulldowns with therabands on a stability ball, and have progressed him to the Biodex, which is like a normal weight machine you see at the gym. Having him do the exercises while sitting on the stability ball requires more core stability from him while performing upper extremity movements. He's also doing planks with his elbows on a BOSU ball, roll-outs on a stability ball, lifting alternating upper and lower extremities while lying supine on a foam roll, and bridges with a straight leg raise. Since he has a baby at home, and complained of the pain when bending, we went over proper body mechanics when lifting, educating him on keeping his back straight, bending at the hips, and keeping whatever he lifts close to his body. With a lumbar fusion, it is common for the vertebral segments above and below the fusion to also become hypomobile. Or they can become hypermobile to compensate for the decreased mobility achieved at the fused lumbar segments. So we checked his vertebral motion in his thoracic spine using mobilizations. His lower thoracic spine was slightly hypomobile, so we will continue to address these findings as we go along.

I evaluated and have been treating an obese woman who is post-total hip replacement. She also has back pain that she needs surgery for, but the doctor wanted her to receive PT for her hip first. It's been hard to give her exercises and progress her though because of her back pain, but we've been trying to work around it. For example, she was unable to do bridges because of her back pain, and couldn't tolerate lying prone. So we've been doing hip exercises with a theraband. What I've found is a lot of patients try to ‘cheat' with hip extension by leaning forward, so I always tell them to stand up tall and just bring their leg straight back. With hip abduction, patients like to lean to the side, so it's the same thing with that too. Explaining and demonstrating exercises have been very important. If your patient doesn't have good form, they aren't using the muscles you want them to and aren't getting the maximum benefit out of it. So it's important not to just give a patient an exercise and walk away. You have to stay close and monitor them, watching for compensations, asking if the exercise is too easy or difficult, if they're feeling pain, etc. This patient is still in hip precautions, even though she's quite a few weeks out from her surgery. So that means no hip internal rotation, hip flexion greater than 90 degrees, and no hip adduction past midline. To warm her up instead of having her on the recumbent bike where she might break the >90 degrees precaution when flexing her hip, we have her on the Nustep, which is like a reclined bike where she sits in a chair and pushes pedals back and forth at more of a level parallel to the ground. It's also less weight bearing stress on the joint. I've also had her do hip adduction with a ball between her legs to squeeze, clams (hip abduction) in supine with a theraband tied around her thighs, and short and long arc quads with cuff weights.

I was sooo happy one morning when I went to the clinic. A security guard saw me come in and asked if I needed any help. She was at the front desk sitting next to a hospital volunteer who happens to be seeing me for PT. The volunteer told the security guard "It's Holly! She's one of my therapists!" Aw! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to hear her call me her therapist. :) I actually just discharged her this week and she gave me a hug and kept thanking me for all I've done. It feels sooo good to help people!

My back was bothering me one day while I was seeing a patient, so my CI let me leave early. It feels better now. I think it was some sort of muscle strain. Whatever it was, rest and thoracic extension exercises helped. Lol Anyways, when I came back, the patient I left early and the patient who had the next appointment both asked how my back was feeling. They've also remembered what I said I was doing over the weekend and have asked about it. Most (ha ha) of my patients have been really nice and pleasant to work with! I'm not the most outgoing and talkative person, but I am able to hold my conversations well and really get to know my patients and let them know a little about me. It's important to develop rapport and I'm seeing it all the more.

Lastly, one of the PTs in the clinic was employee of the month! Free pizza and cake? Yes please! Ha ha. But really, it was inspiring because a patient had written a letter about her, saying how she had been to seven different physical therapists and four chiropractors, but only this therapist has been able to make her better! That was pretty cool to hear. :) Well, not about the other seven therapists not being able to help. I won't be like the seven, I'll be like the one. :)

Glad to see that you're enjoying your clinical!

Some food for thought on the above case:

Patient compliance is typically improved when their HEP decreases or resolves their symptoms. Do the chin tucks decerase her symptoms when performed in supine? If not, is there an exercise you can give her that will? Also, since traction seemed to help, is there a way that the patient can replicate this at home?

And, here is a nice article to have at your disposal when seeing patietns whom you suspect have symptoms of cervcial origin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12544957

Does your patient have any positive tests from the test item cluster?

Not sure about an alternate exercise to chin tucks. If you have one that'd be great to know! As for traction, she can definitely perform positional traction at home. Also, I know we have a traction unit here that the patient can rent out and take home.

Thanks for the article! I know her ULTTA was negative. She did have less than 60 degrees cervical rotation though. We never performed the Spurling test. I've never heard about it until now cause in my musculoskeletal class we were working our way from the ankle up and stopped at the thoracic spine. Guess I'll be a little more knowledgable on C-spine testing come class time in 2 weeks. ;) It's similar to the quadrant test though, isn't it?

Last edited:
Not sure about an alternate exercise to chin tucks. If you have one that'd be great to know! As for traction, she can definitely perform positional traction at home. Also, I know we have a traction unit here that the patient can rent out and take home.

Thanks for the article! I know her ULTTA was negative. She did have less than 60 degrees cervical rotation though. We never performed the Spurling test. I've never heard about it until now cause in my musculoskeletal class we were working our way from the ankle up and stopped at the thoracic spine. Guess I'll be a little more knowledgable on C-spine testing come class time in 2 weeks. ;) It's similar to the quadrant test though, isn't it?

Not having seen or examined the patient, I can't tell you what exercise might centrzlize or reduce your patients symptoms, but hopefully the info you get as you re-examine the patient each time she comes in will help steer you in that direction.

A question:

The patient I’ve been seeing with numbness/tingling into her right arm and shoulder has been getting better, but she still has those symptoms in her shoulder. She recently got a radiograph and we requested the reports, which stated that she has a slight posterolateral disc protrusion at C5/6 and C6/7.

Is a radiograph the ideal type of imaging to look for soft tissue pathology such as disc protrusions?

In regards to the Spurling's test, in this study, it was performed with the patient's head and cervical spine in ipsilateral sidebending with axial compression applied manually. A postive test would reproduce the patient's UE symptoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Over halfway through! I can't believe it and you are rockin' it, lady! :)

Not having seen or examined the patient, I can't tell you what exercise might centrzlize or reduce your patients symptoms, but hopefully the info you get as you re-examine the patient each time she comes in will help steer you in that direction.

A question:

Is a radiograph the ideal type of imaging to look for soft tissue pathology such as disc protrusions?

In regards to the Spurling's test, in this study, it was performed with the patient's head and cervical spine in ipsilateral sidebending with axial compression applied manually. A postive test would reproduce the patient's UE symptoms.

Ah, my mistake. X-rays = bones. MRI/CT = soft tissue.

@markel: Thanks! :) I'm actually behind in blogging so I'll be posting Week 5 soon. This week is my last week! :(

This is so awesome!!! I hope I could be as prepared as you for my clinicals.

I think I read somewhere that Dancer and Akiramay both attend Northwestern. Reading your post definitely shows how well Northwestern has prepared you for your clinicals.

Week 3/4:
This patient is still in hip precautions, even though she’s quite a few weeks out from her surgery. So that means no hip internal rotation, hip flexion greater than 90 degrees, and no hip adduction past midline.

At the PT clinic I work at before going to PT school we offer aquatic therapy where a lot of hip replacement pts come before transitioning to the gym. I just smiled at this statement because the PT I work with constantly quizzes me on these precautions because it's a lot harder to spot in pool water. Just saying. Thanks for sharing, once again! :)

@jbizzle, Nole, and markel: Yah, I go to Northwestern. Aw, thanks for the kind remarks! :) I'm sure you will all do great in your classes and clinicals too. ;)

Week 5:

This week has shown me how much more independent I am getting in working with patients. My CI and I are double-booked a lot, so when she is seeing a patient, I am seeing my own patient. She's still nearby in case I need help, but she's not hovering. It's great to see that I can hold my own! I've also been working on ‘directing personnel', which is one of the criteria I'll be rated on during my final evaluation. I've been using my CI as a PT aide, asking her to get therabands or stability balls or set up equipment for exercises. I've also been taking patients up to the front desk and booking their appointments in coordination with the front desk clerk, which is cool. And with my patients now, I'm filling in charges for our services and giving them to the PT assistants to input into the computer. It's good to be able to interact with everyone on my own! It's great to be over a month into my clinical, because I'm getting closer to the patients that I've been with from the start, and I can also see that I'm improving in my evaluations and treatments with new patients too.

This week I evaluated a man who complained of...back pain (no surprise there, ha ha). From my examination I found that he had tight hamstrings, quads, TFL (via the ober test), and hip flexors (via the Thomas test). His stork test was also positive, so when I palpated his PSIS's and told him to stand on one leg, the PSIS on the side of the lifted leg was lower than the other when they should've been the same height. He also had some hypomobility in the lumbar spine after performing PPIVMs. We gave him some stretches to do for his HEP, but had to eventually take out the quad stretch in standing. He couldn't hold the stretch without sidebending to the same side, that's how tight he was! We tried to give him the stretch in prone using a belt around his ankle to stretch the quad, but he was having difficulty with it. It was really hard to work with this patient because he needed a lot of explanations. I had told him what muscles he was working and where he should be feeling it, which is something you should do with every patient. But he would get frustrated if he didn't quite feel it or if it didn't feel the same as before. I had to demonstrate the hip flexor stretch and give him a lot of verbal cues so that he could understand what to do. He asked about the hip flexor muscles, so I pulled out an anatomy book and showed him the iliopsoas muscles. In order to work on his core stabilization (he was in an anterior pelvic tilt), we had him do posterior pelvic tilts in supine. It was also hard for him to keep breathing while engaging his abs and think about keeping his back flat at the same time. My CI new a great technique where you put a blood pressure cuff under the person's back, so that when they do the exercise they can see if their back's keeping pressure on the mat, kind of like biofeedback. This patient needed a lot of demonstrating, explaining, verbal and tactile cues. It showed me that every patient is different. They have different learning styles and needs, and it's up to me to determine what those are.

Another patient I was working with was diagnosed with knee osteoarthritis and gait disorder. I had him perform strengthening exercises for his legs such as toe and heel raises, step ups, and squats. I also worked on functional activities like sit to stand, which he had a hard time with. He needed arm rests to push off from in order to stand up. It also took him multiple attempts before he could stand. So I taught him to lean forward, bring his ‘nose over his toes' and keep his feet under him, rocking a few times before pushing through his heels and standing up. I had him practice on a higher surface without his hands, then progressed him to a lower mat. He was unable to stand up on that mat, but all the other tables he was able to stand up from, so I found a loose mat to place on top to give him a little boost. My CI was impressed with my modification and said she hadn't seen anyone use the mat for that purpose yet, which was cool! The patient was then able to practice his sit to stand without using his hands, but it was still a challenge for him, which is what PT's like. ;)

I had a great time working with a man who had an ankle fracture (lateral malleolus and talus). I saw him for the initial evaluation and his progression through our treatment sessions. At first he was wearing a CAM boot and used crutches, but eventually he didn't need to use either of them. Our first goal was to increase his ROM since he was stiff from being immobilized in the boot, and then he'd work on increasing his ankle strength and balance with more weight-bearing activities. First the patient did exercises such as a calf stretch, towel curls, inversion and eversion slides on a towel, and gripping marbles with his toes and putting them into a cup to work his intrinsic foot muscles. The patient complained of more pain with dorsi- and plantar flexion vs. inversion and eversion, which made sense because his fracture involved the talocrural joint. We also had him work on his ROM using a Baps board, where he was sitting and placed his foot on the board, moving it in circular and front and back motions. We were able to progress him to working on his ROM on a KAT machine (stands for kinesthetic awareness training), which is like a Baps board but is done in standing. He also started doing closed chain strengthening such as toe and heel raises, but these were hard for him. I wish I could've kept going to see his progression, but it was great to see the gains he had made so far!

My CI and I talked through what we wanted to do before we had an evaluation for a patient with vestibular problems. We were going to see the patient together, but one of our therapists was late and needed my CI to see one of her patients for her. So I got to do the whole evaluation by myself! My CI was close by in case I needed help, but this was the first time she wasn't in the same little room with me telling me what to do next! The lady complained of feeling off balance, not dizzy, when standing and walking. I tested her strength and balance, then performed some vestibular testing. I performed the Dix-Hallpike and the Roll test to cover all the canals of the inner ear. I didn't see any nystagmus, but she complained of feeling nauseous. She also complained of dizziness when coming back up from lying down. She had some positive saccades and head-shaking nystagmus as well. It was cool to do these tests and actually see something, since the results are always normal when practicing it on classmates! The only thing that I didn't do that my CI said we'd do next time is check her blood pressure in supine, sitting, and standing to rule out orthostatic hypotension. That shows me that I need to remember to keep looking at the big picture, and not just focus on the vestibular diagnosis!

I also was working with a lady who complained of back pain, and also has Multiple Sclerosis (MS). MS is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the central nervous system, leading to myelin degeneration and axonal transection. People with MS tend to have episodes or ‘flare-ups' that can lead to weakness, sensory issues, balance problems, etc. This patient said she hadn't had an episode in a long time, which was good. The patient found back pain relief when lying prone, but she couldn't do a prone press-up so we just had her start off on her elbows. We also gave her hip strengthening exercises because we found weakness there, plus she was walking with a limp. We hadn't seen her for a couple weeks because she had to cancel her appointments. We thought maybe she was having an exacerbation and couldn't come in, but when we did see her that wasn't the case, she just had other things going on. She did tell us though that her doctor suspected that her limp was due to her MS, and she was going to get some tests done, perhaps an MRI to look for any new lesions. Even though we hadn't seen the patient in a while, she had been doing her HEP. It showed, because when we asked her if she could do a prone press-up, she was able to do it! I was impressed, and it re-iterated the power of home exercises! If she had relied on us to ‘fix' her, she wouldn't have made any progress on her own. We give the patient the tools that they need to get better, but they must take responsibility in order to sustain improvement.

Next week is the last week, and I'm both excited and sad! I'll have to make the most of it!

So this is my last entry! Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my blog! :)

Week 6:

My CI had the day off one day, so I was able to observe with a pediatric PT! When I applied to PT school, I thought I wanted to go into pediatrics, but after taking my lifespan class which included pediatrics, I wasn't as enthusiastic about it. Plus, I enjoyed working with older adults and the geriatric population during my first clinical in acute care. Observing this PT was a great experience, but it solidified my decision not to go into pediatrics. I like working with kids here and there, but I couldn't do it every day! I like being able to talk with my patients instead of dealing with a crying 1 year old or trying to hold a child's attention. I applaud the PT's who CAN do this. Ha ha. Anyways, I saw 2 patients who were both 1 year old and being seen for torticollis, where the babies' necks are side-bent and rotated to a certain side. It was really interesting though because even though they were the same age they were at different stages developmentally. One girl was able to roll from supine to prone quickly, while the other one needed multiple attempts as well as some assistance from the PT to roll over. The first girl was also starting to walk and seemed a lot more independent, whereas the other girl still crawled more and was crying for her mom a lot. All I know is, what both girls needed was…TOYS TOYS TOYS. They are essential when working with the kiddies! The PT used toys to get the babies' attention and as incentive for doing activities. A lot of babies with torticollis ignore the side opposite the side they are rotated towards. So the PT held toys up to midline and to the side being neglected to try to get the baby to reach for it. It's hard to get babies to do what you want them to do, but the PT did a good job of being able to work through the obstacles to get things done.

I also observed the PT do a co-treat with an OT for a 3 year old boy who had some Autistic qualities but hadn't been fully diagnosed with Autism spectrum disorder. The kid had a lot of sensory issues, so he'd constantly bang his head on the wall or table without even realizing it. He would grunt or only say one syllable, which definitely isn't normal for a kid his age. He also wanted to get up and do his own thing, so the PT and OT had to keep him engaged in the activities. I was kind of nervous because the PT said the boy can get violent sometimes. I was like, okay, this is fun. XP But he was pretty good this session, which was nice. He started off doing fine motor tasks with the OT and then worked on gross motor skills with the PT. We had him do an obstacle course like walk across a balance beam, step on 6 little steps, and then get in a wheelbarrow position and put a toy in a basket. The boy was very distracted and needed the PT to hold him up and do each activity with him, otherwise he would start grabbing other toys or run off. The sad part was that the PT told me the parents don't like having to deal with the kid whining or being violent, so they pretty much give him whatever he wants, such as chips and pop. Well, sugar's certainly going to calm him down, right? It goes to show that again, we can do only so much in the clinic. If bad behaviors are being reinforced at home, they'll carry over when he's working with us. It's not enough to just work with the child. Parent education is just as important!

I also got to go to the special care unit for babies. It's not as critical as the neonatal intensive care unit, but the babies still need extra monitoring and care. I forget the diagnosis of the baby we saw, but we worked on passive ROM with her. We didn't get to do much with her because her heart rate was elevated the whole time. I think she was fussy because it was almost lunchtime and she was hungry. It was cute getting to see her and the other babies though! I'm glad I got to observe the pediatric PT because it's like a whole different world!

Back with my CI, I had an evaluation with a teenage boy. He complained of back pain when sitting. He said he couldn't sit up straight and that he needed to bend over to find a more comfortable position. I was trying to think off all these different things it could be, but my CI said that was the clue right there for having weak back muscles since he's not able to keep in an upright posture. He was wearing a Star Trek shirt, so I assumed maybe he spends a little too much time slumped forward in front of the tv or computer. ;) Anyways, I felt bad for him during the manual muscle test, because I kept breaking his form and he seemed really embarrassed. A lot of his muscles were a 4 or 4-/5, so a general strengthening program and patient education on proper posture should be all that he needs.

I had an interesting evaluation for a 14 year old with femoral acetabular impingement (FAI). I learned about it briefly in class, so I wasn't expecting to see it in the clinic! FAI occurs when an extra bone is formed either on the femoral head or on the acetabulum, which can cause impingement of the labrum and pain with certain movements. During the MMT, he had pain in his groin area with resisted movements such as hip external and internal rotation and flexion. He also complained of pain in the groin area when doing the FABER's test and the Scour test. We gave him a hamstring and hip flexor stretch to do for his HEP since we found those to be tight. At lunchtime that day I looked up more on FAI since it was my first time dealing with a patient with it, and I read literature saying that stretching the hip muscles can actually be detrimental! I told my CI about it since she wasn't too familiar with the diagnosis either. She was impressed that I looked up research about it on my own. Yay! So the next time we saw this patient, we told him not to do the hip flexor stretch. We took him through some hip strengthening exercises using therabands and also had him do step ups and lateral step ups on a BOSU ball. The kid was a soccer player and wanted to play professionally, which was cool. FAI can lead to further problems of the hip and low back, so in order to avoid needing any surgery such as a hip arthroscopy in the future, it'll be important for him to maintain hip strength, and he may have to decrease his activities.

This last week had me pretty frazzled ‘cause I had to prepare and present my inservice project to the other PT's. Quite a few patients we've seen have had lumbar spinal fusions, so I decided to do my inservice on Updates on Lumbar Fusion Surgery. I made a PowerPoint and gave everyone handouts. I talked about the indications for surgery, the surgical procedure itself, precautions after surgery, a general treatment plan, and current evidence on lumbar stabilization exercises. I was kind of nervous going into it just ‘cause I'm not the most confident speaker in front of groups, but I did all right and people said I did a good job. I was just happy when it was over! Ha ha. Presentations are pretty laid back though from what I've heard from everyone, which is nice.

I had my final evaluation with the CPI this week too. I grew in many areas from my midterm to now! It's good to evaluate myself because I see my strengths and areas that need improvement and can apply what I've learned toward my other clinicals. Anyways, I can't believe it's all over! *tear* I had such a great clinical experience, and it was so much more than what I expected it to be. I keep telling people that I wish I did my 13-week clinical here because I loved it so much! My CI said that maybe she'll see me around sometime, like if I ever decided to work there. I think that's definitely a possibility! ;) For now, I'm enjoying my last few days of break before getting back to the grind of the classroom and studying. I'm looking forward to learning more and having everything in place that I need to know to treat patients, but I want to be done all the more. The classroom is great, but it's the clinic I love. I don't want any more paper patients, I want real ones. They're who I enjoyed waking up for.

I absolutely LOVED reading all about your experience and it sounds like you rocked it!! A girlfriend of mine is just finishing up her 1st clinical and she was lamenting about not wanting to go back to the classroom after being out in the world, even though she knows she has so much more to learn! ;)

Akiramay: have you thought of creating a blog of your experience, with Wordpress or similar blogging software? I think it would give you much better exposure and a lot more readers than by writing on this forum. And I do enjoy your posts.

Great idea on the blog.

I will try to start one for my 3rd year rotations that will be starting up in about 2 months or so...

Akiramay: have you thought of creating a blog of your experience, with Wordpress or similar blogging software? I think it would give you much better exposure and a lot more readers than by writing on this forum. And I do enjoy your posts.

I'm doing this with my entire dpt schooling; I even have posts about me deciding to become a PT & the prereq work... I've been slacking, though... I have some posts that need written to fill in the blanks lol

It has been fantastic following your experiences throughout this clinical. You obviously were affected in a positive way, as that was conveyed throughout your posts. One can often forget the various responsibilities we will have , "pre-habilitating", rehabilitating, educating, and interacting with patients. Best wishes in you classes and future clinicals!:thumbup: