Clinical Education: CI blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancing_DPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. It has been awhile since I have posted here, but I am at a point where I need a safe spot to vent some frustrations.

I am a second year, and I am in my second long clinical, 10 weeks, in Early Intervention. I am super interested in pediatrics, and I was hoping this clinical would give me an idea of how I would do in this field now that I have more knowledge as an SPT. I have hated this rotation so much ONLY because of my CI.

Basically, everything I do is being judged and under a microscope. If I talk about school, I'm "complaining and overwhelmed," when in reality I am trying to connect with my CI on a human level about the program. If I pause too long during a session because I am thinking something through, I am "ill prepared and don't have enough ideas or flexibility to be successful," If I am self-assessing and I say I'm going into every day with a positive attitude, telling myself I can do this and be successful, my CI thinks I am delusional and don't have the ability to adequately know my strengths and weaknesses.

You guys. I told my CI I am trying to manifest positivity every day by telling myself I can achieve my goals and She. Thinks. I. Am. Delusional.

For some background, I am doing well in PT school, my teachers all know me because I am engaged and participating, and I am always trying to be proactive, prepping for each day and each kid and using all my resources. I am not afraid to say I don't know, and ask for help, and I can accurately assess my strengths and weaknesses.

I had a meeting last night with my clinic advisor, and she has been a great advocate for me. We are all meeting on Friday to discuss strategies for all of us to finish this clinic on a positive note. My CI is only 2 yrs out of PT school, and so my advisor told me, "Yes, it sucks to be you right now. Your CI is learning a lot and trying to do right by you, but she is going about it in all the wrong ways, and it is really difficult. It just sucks to be the student that has to experience that." So I know that my concerns are being heard, and I am NOT delusional.

I am just so afraid of how every word out of my mouth has been dissected and misconstrued up to this point. I am literally afraid to talk about anything seeing that everything has been used against me in some way (I learned ALL about the ways in which I am "not interested" in my clinical last night, since I talk about school sometimes. I literally cannot believe the things she thinks about me and how she has formed these opinions.)

Anyways, I am here pouring out my heart, hoping there are some of you out there whose limits have been tested by crappy experiences with CIs, especially young CIs. I'd love to hear from you. Chicken soup for the battered SPT soul. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not alone. If I ever run into one of my former CIs, I will need to be physically restrained... The best revenge is to graduate and become a successful PT.

Reactions: 1 users
You're not alone. If I ever run into one of my former CIs, I will need to be physically restrained... The best revenge is to graduate and become a successful PT.
Thanks for the reply. I keep repeating in my head "take the high road...take the high road!" But I imagine I won't be very warm toward my CI if I come across her in the future. Too much pain, too many emotions.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my CIs was less than stellar. She was younger than me, had only been out of school about 2 years, and she was the only neuro PT in this clinic. She started the clinic's "neuro program" as a new grad (red flag). She passed me, but she was hyper-critical and didn't like being questioned re: choosing specific interventions for patients. In hindsight I think it's because she only had a vague idea about what she was doing. She frequently stumbled to provide any rationale, evidence or thought process behind her treatments. She had no business being a CI.

Keep your chin up and keep working hard. It sounds like your school coordinator is supportive. I would document everything and do whatever it takes to just get through this rotation.

Advocate for yourself to your school. I had an awful awful experience and took notes about everything that was bad (and illegal). In the end when the school came in they saw How had of a situation it was and pulled me out of the clinical. I got placed at a wonderful site and learned more in the first hour there than the first 5 weeks at that awful site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only 10 weeks and you will survive. It sounds like your ACCE is on your side and will pass you. Just do everything you need be doing: showing up on time, having a great attitude, being humble, treating patients well, doing your homework, etc. You're going to experience difficulty people in your life and this is your crucible. You need to be persistent and patient.

I dont understand why some people become CIs......hang in there!

Thanks everyone. It is really wonderful to just know I'm not the only one who has struggled. I am so emotionally and physically exhausted....more so than when I was in the regular semester, which is saying a LOT.

That being said, I am sucking it up, showing up, smiling, answering questions and generally trying to kick so much ass. Let's hope tomorrow's meeting goes well and I can come out of this experience with a smile instead of a bad taste in my mouth.

One of my CIs was less than stellar. She was younger than me, had only been out of school about 2 years, and she was the only neuro PT in this clinic. She started the clinic's "neuro program" as a new grad (red flag). She passed me, but she was hyper-critical and didn't like being questioned re: choosing specific interventions for patients. In hindsight I think it's because she only had a vague idea about what she was doing. She frequently stumbled to provide any rationale, evidence or thought process behind her treatments. She had no business being a CI.

Keep your chin up and keep working hard. It sounds like your school coordinator is supportive. I would document everything and do whatever it takes to just get through this rotation.

Wut

Ditto to what everyone else said! You'll get through this.

I had a CI who made me feel incredibly stupid the whole time, and another who didn't want a student at all...and made me very aware of that fact. It was painful at the time, but I can laugh about it now. I also had a few really good ones. You don't deserve to be going through this, and you're doing everything you can to make things work.

I'm interested to hear how today's meeting went. Hope you're doing well and that you're able to relax and enjoy the weekend!