Clinical cases for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member0809

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many programs require a clinical case work up. What types of cases have you guys seen? And do you present the case after working through it? Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I saw cases involving chronic conditions so I always recommend students to brush up on the usual HTN, DM, Anticoag, HF with focus on goals of therapy, contraindications; DDI; side effects of drugs. Its hard to prep for something like this since they could throw anything at you.

I think the programs are usually looking for your methodology and thought process. It would be great to brush up on drug dosing, guidelines, etc. but they are more interested in how you prioritize, assess and tackle the situation. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the programs are usually looking for your methodology and thought process. It would be great to brush up on drug dosing, guidelines, etc. but they are more interested in how you prioritize, assess and tackle the situation. Good luck!

I totally agree on this!

I reviewed all the major disease states and studied most of the accompanying dosing...i think if you know max doses, it would definitely be beneficial...plus different dosing for drugs for example, Altaplase in treatment for stroke vs MI~

The cases that I have had so far definitely hit major disease states.

Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!

I totally agree on this!

I reviewed all the major disease states and studied most of the accompanying dosing...i think if you know max doses, it would definitely be beneficial...plus different dosing for drugs for example, Altaplase in treatment for stroke vs MI~

The cases that I have had so far definitely hit major disease states.

Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I second this. Also be prepared to use paper drug resources. I got an old lexi comp book from '09 and an old sanford guide from 2010...I didn't know if it was a trick so I had to use the old noggin to solve DTPs.

My first case had dapsone induced methemoglobinemia, AKI with captopril, gingko altering INR, and general compliance and morbid obesity....Sick Case haha.

If its been awhile since you've done soap notes, PRACTICE!. I thought it would be like riding a bike but then I got hit by a train wreck case of a guy with at least 10+ problems that needed to be addressed. So I'm doubting I'll get ranked by my first interview. I'm going to be timing myself and practicing cases everyday in prep for my next interviews so it doesn't happen again.

So I need some opinions ASAP- I have to give a presentation on an interesting case, but my interesting case was actually a pediatric ID patient. I am not applying for a peds position or interviewing at a childrens hospital, however this residency does have a 6 weeks pediatric rotation. Is this an appropriate topic selection or not?
I have 3 options
1 -Present case as is
2-Turn my peds patient into an adult patient (But minimal data supporting use of this novel therapy in adults)
3-Choose a new topic all together (I am out of ideas)

So I need some opinions ASAP- I have to give a presentation on an interesting case, but my interesting case was actually a pediatric ID patient. I am not applying for a peds position or interviewing at a childrens hospital, however this residency does have a 6 weeks pediatric rotation. Is this an appropriate topic selection or not?
I have 3 options
1 -Present case as is
2-Turn my peds patient into an adult patient (But minimal data supporting use of this novel therapy in adults)
I don't see the problem with just presenting your case. DO NOT DO #2, because they might ask you where you found that and you would say studies on...what?

present as it is
they are evaluating your presentation skill only

I have 3 options
1 -Present case as is

I have 3 options
1 -Present case as is

I think it's fine especially if they have a peds rotation. DO NOT do #2, will open Pandora's box and if you have time and you REALLY want to...I guess #3 is fine.

GOOD LUCK

So just wanted you all to know I went with option 1. Option 1 was a hit!!!! So glad I stuck with the original case.

I wonder how programs will weigh each component of the interview - for example the group interview, clinical case workup, prepared presentation, residency director interview....so many places to impress and potentially "screw up".

Many programs require a clinical case work up. What types of cases have you guys seen? And do you present the case after working through it? Any input will be greatly appreciated!!
I didn't get to work mine up- it was basically a verbal response regarding therapy for a DVT

I wonder how programs will weigh each component of the interview - for example the group interview, clinical case workup, prepared presentation, residency director interview....so many places to impress and potentially "screw up".

The weighting will vary significantly from place to place.