Clinic Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMres85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m starting out in private practice I’m curious how everyone handles the workload early on. I see myself looking at the charts a day ahead of time and generating a plan - over time I would think this would stop as things become second nature. Is this what is generally practiced? I just don’t think I can efficiently and effectively see 20 patients a day without prior knowledge. I know it may be an obvious question but just curious as to others experiences and practices regarding this

Members don't see this ad.

For the first couple of years in practice, this is what I did. The night before, I'd review my patients and send myself an email with a 1-2 line summary of history/assessment/plan. As time went on, I better remembered my patients and had a more firm grip on my own practice patterns as well as current literature and really only needed a quick review of each case the night before. This was in the days when my daily clinic volume as in the neighborhood of 12-15 patients.

Now, at 9 years out, it's rare that I review more than the names on the schedule the day before, and take a quick look at any new patients on the list to make sure they have relevant labs/imaging/path.

Reactions: 1 user