Clin Ph.D. apps: disclosure of previous schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCT1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
Just joined this forum, what a great resource!
I'm applying to 10 clinical Ph.D. programs and 1 Psy.D this fall and am really worried about one insy-weensy thing. To say that my freshman year of college was less than stellar would be a gross understatement. I had personal/family programs and wound up withdrawing from almost all of my classes for 2 semesters at a respected private university. One year later, I enrolled at a large, respected state school, starting entirely anew. I wound up graduating Phi Beta Kappa with a 3.7 GPA (3.8 Psych). My fear, however, is that my horrific freshman experience at the private school (the transcript of which I must obviously show to grad programs) will significantly taint my applications. As such, it is difficult for me to realistically assess my chances to get into program X vs. program Y, etc. I got a 1290 on my GREs, have moderate research experience, and am anticipating pretty good recommendations. Anything that anybody has to say will be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like the rest of your application is solid and you're not limiting your choices to just a few schools, so I don't think your freshman year grades will tank you most places. I would just prepare a good canned answer in case it comes up in interviews.

It sounds like the rest of your application is solid and you're not limiting your choices to just a few schools, so I don't think your freshman year grades will tank you most places. I would just prepare a good canned answer in case it comes up in interviews.
Thanks! Do you know if grad schools will calculate an "overall" undergrad GPA using my freshman grades (which were not transferred or used towards a degree) in addition to the GPA based solely on the credits comprising my BA at the 2nd school?

Thanks! Do you know if grad schools will calculate an "overall" undergrad GPA using my freshman grades (which were not transferred or used towards a degree) in addition to the GPA based solely on the credits comprising my BA at the 2nd school?

it depends -- take a good look at what the applications require, because they are all likely to be different, and some may ask you to calculate an overall gpa -- i know some of my programs did. you do have the best scenario for gpa problems -- one year, first year, and then everything else is just where they'd want it to be. withdrawls shouldn't factor in but i have a feeling they may be an F or a D in there? defintely give a few sentences (not too much, tho) in your PS on what happened, highlighting how once you resumed school you did extremely well.

this shouldn't tank you--they must see this from qualified canidates every year. i've mentored a few kids with these kind of GPAs ( and that 1st year was usually due to freaking out with all the freedom, not family crisis) and then went on to transfer and get amazing GPAS and just become great students and thinkers. they tend to be especially self aware and openminded, and have perhaps a bit more insight than folks who have never messed up before.