climbing friendly FM residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broken down muffler

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows of any FM residencies that have something of a climbing culture about them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Umm, I imagine places that have mountains and climbing gyms may have some people into that. I don't think residencies are trying to maintain a ____ culture (insert climbing hiking snow boarding canoeing fishing golfing etc.).

Wh
I guess culture is the wrong word, and maybe I should be asking this question on a climbing forum. Just wondering if anyone knows any programs out there that have a number of climbers as residency/faculty, so I could make sure to look into them for residency training. I'll already be looking at places with climbing communities, but it'd be cool if that included some of my co-residents or faculty. I don't expect any residency to try to "maintain a climbing culture" or anything.
What does residency faculty that also climbs provide for you that other faculty can't? If you want a climbing community then you'll join a club or maybe find out that some of your fellow residents are also into it. Seeking this out as a specific thing (and seemingly placing so much value in it) is kinda weird

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah there are plenty. They're called EM programs and you usually need to brew your own micro IPA to qualify.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Given the importance of having good outlets for stress relief, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have easy access to a strong hobby as one of the many criteria for evaluating residency programs. Swimming keeps me sane and makes me better at everything else in my life.

I'm assuming any program in the mountain west would be more likely to have climbing residents. You may not have the program director on belay, and you may not want to imply access to good climbing is the only reason you're applying. I would plug family medicine in Coeur d'Alene ID as a newer, but high quality program with good access to mountain, rivers, lakes, skiing, etc.

What does residency faculty that also climbs provide for you that other faculty can't? If you want a climbing community then you'll join a club or maybe find out that some of your fellow residents are also into it. Seeking this out as a specific thing (and seemingly placing so much value in it) is kinda weird
Have you considered the fact that OP may actually be a mountain goat? Everyone has their own priorities!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Just curious if anyone knows of any FM residencies that have something of a climbing culture about them.
Climbing…. Culture….
Sorry I turned down U Washington FM bc this rural program really emphasizes climbing
You know you could just match somewhere and drive to said mountain or indoor climbing wall

Reactions: 1 user
Look I refused to go anywhere that didnt have atleast one faculty member into Medieval full contact fighting. You have to make it clear, in your personal statement, what your demands are.

1630545339905.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users