Cleveland State-Neomed Post bacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely interested in the Cleveland State-Neomed program, does anybody know people from the admissions committee. Those with whom I can communicate with?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a weird program, I know people in it. Make you take some unnecessary classes, but if you get 125 on each section of the MCAT and maintain a certain gpa, you are guaranteed into neoucom. They make you do public health work as a physician to I believe. Send me a message if you want to talk to some of my friends in the program, and I can get you an email :)

I did quite a bit of research into it and while I support the mission, it seems like a very expensive* way to do prerequisites, particularly for out of state students. Also, from some digging around I did online, it seems like it is not uncommon for students in their program to take three years to complete the CSU post-bac before promotion to the medical school, which seems like it negates the benefit of the link. I know the security of getting admitted and having a reserved seat can seem tantalizing given their relatively low promotion requirements, but unless it seems like you should really investigate the cost of the program (time, choice, cost etc.)

*With respect to cost you need to remember that it's not just that cost of the post-bac itself, which is not insignificant, but it's also that you are forgoing the possibility of scholarship dollars at any other institution. It also seems like NEOMED has less incentive to offer you scholarship money since you are are guaranteed to matriculate if you meet promotion requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did quite a bit of research into it and while I support the mission, it seems like a very expensive* way to do prerequisites, particularly for out of state students. Also, from some digging around I did online, it seems like it is not uncommon for students in their program to take three years to complete the CSU post-bac before promotion to the medical school, which seems like it negates the benefit of the link. I know the security of getting admitted and having a reserved seat can seem tantalizing given their relatively low promotion requirements, but unless it seems like you should really investigate the cost of the program (time, choice, cost etc.)

*With respect to cost you need to remember that it's not just that cost of the post-bac itself, which is not insignificant, but it's also that you are forgoing the possibility of scholarship dollars at any other institution. It also seems like NEOMED has less incentive to offer you scholarship money since you are are guaranteed to matriculate if you meet promotion requirements.

I understand, Time and money will always be an issue for me as a student. I really just want to be able to learn the basics sciences while still having a reserved seat in the medical school. I would do anything to get into this program.

Can you assist me? Is that possible

I don't have any special connections or insight into this program...their application opened in October, so if you are still interested, I would apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't have any special connections or insight into this program...their application opened in October, so if you are still interested, I would apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Is anyone applying for the fall of 2017 for the neomed postbacc?

How is the application process going for you so far, as it is due in a few days?

It is going well. I already submitted mine.
How about you??

I just really hope I get into this program. I'm already nervous lol

Last edited:
It is going well. I already submitted mine.
How about you??

I just really hope I get into this program. I'm already nervous lol
I will submit mines this week. I hope I get into this program as well, as it is my first choice. Do you know anyone else who is applying? Are in in state or out of state? Do you know any stats on the group that got accepted last years, like the average gpa, and so forth?

I will submit mines this week. I hope I get into this program as well, as it is my first choice. Do you know anyone else who is applying? Are in in state or out of state? Do you know any stats on the group that got accepted last years, like the average gpa, and so forth?
I don't know anybody that can help us specifically but I was told hundreds and hundreds of people apply. The committee looks at your experience and GPA altogether. Some may get in based on GPA some may get in based on experience. Or both.

Really it's all about you.

Also Ohio residents get preference since the program is funded by the state of Ohio.
Luckily I'm from Columbus. So that's good.
Are you from ohio??

I don't know anybody that can help us specifically but I was told hundreds and hundreds of people apply. The committee looks at your experience and GPA altogether. Some may get in based on GPA some may get in based on experience. Or both.

Really it's all about you.

Also Ohio residents get preference since the program is funded by the state of Ohio.
Luckily I'm from Columbus. So that's good.
Are you from ohio??
I am from Cleveland and just graduated last month from Cleveland state University. Hopefully we both get in.

Yes
I am from Cleveland and just graduated last month from Cleveland state University. Hopefully we both get in.
Hopefully.
So what's your other plan if you don't get into this program?
What do you plan to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else anxiously waiting for this interview email? Lol

Did anybody else think it was weird they extended the deadline by three days?

I'm just curious why they did it. Not enough applications, give more time for supporting documents to arrive, etc?

I was told that experience is real good.
I recently went to Africa and did most of my shadowing and clinical there. I provided contacts. I also do community work in low income areas. I also wrote in that I donated a kidney to a relative. I'm also freaking out too guys. My GPA is like 3.4. Hopefully I get admitted. I really wish to get in. Good luck to you all guys. If you guys get an email for interviews let us know. We all need friends and maybe if most of us get in, then maybe we can assist each other.

I just applied as well. Application wasn't verified until 1/20 I hope that doesn't negatively affect me. I am worried I am not "nontraditional" enough for this program. I am just a graduating senior who did not start doing well in school until my junior year.

I just applied as well. Application wasn't verified until 1/20 I hope that doesn't negatively affect me. I am worried I am not "nontraditional" enough for this program. I am just a graduating senior who did not start doing well in school until my junior year.

What school did you attend, and what was your major??

If you have a GPA of below 3.0 then you're out if luck. They don't care what your major was, as long as your experience is great and GPA is good. They really want experience In urban areas since you are going to dedicate yourself to urban areas.
Good luck, I really hope you get in. I hope I get in too

If you have a GPA of below 3.0 then you're out if luck. They don't care what your major was, as long as your experience is great and GPA is good. They really want experience In urban areas since you are going to dedicate yourself to urban areas.
Good luck, I really hope you get in. I hope I get in too

This isn't necessarily true. If your cumulative GPA is under a 3.0, you can still apply to the program as long as you submit GRE scores. Directly from their site in FAQs:

"Do I need to take a standardized test to enter?
If your GPA is below 3.0 then yes. If your GPA is above 3.0, you do not need to submit a standardized test score. Applicants may use the GRE or the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) if their GPA is below 3.0."

So I guess we find out on during the week of Feb 20 if we get interviews. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

I wonder how many people applied and how many people will accept the interview invitation.

I interviewed and was wait-listed last year. Didn't make the cut, but am applying again this year! Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone! I think there will be more applicants this year than last year since the application deadline was much later, but who knows.

I interviewed and was wait-listed last year. Didn't make the cut, but am applying again this year! Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone! I think there will be more applicants this year than last year since the application deadline was much later, but who knows.
Good luck! I actually think they had less applicants which is why they extended the deadline. Maybe trying to get more people in. I was also told transcripts and letters of recommendations could come up to two weeks later after the deadline

Good luck! I actually think they had less applicants which is why they extended the deadline. Maybe trying to get more people in. I was also told transcripts and letters of recommendations could come up to two weeks later after the deadline
No not at all. They extended the deadline because there were glitches on the application where things weren't saving for some people, not because of the number of applications they received.

No not at all. They extended the deadline because there were glitches on the application where things weren't saving for some people, not because of the number of applications they received.

Interesting. I had no issues with my application besides the wait for getting my transcript verified.

Interesting. I had no issues with my application besides the wait for getting my transcript verified.
Yeah not for everybody, but I guess enough people complained about it that they extended the deadline and tried to fix the website. I heard there were a lot of applications this year, last year the deadline for applications was in October. But I'm hopeful! We should hear next week. Good luck everyone!

I know it's early but if anyone hears back and wouldn't mind sharing I would love to get an idea about when interview invitations are sent out or when rejections are sent.

Good luck everyone!

I know it's early but if anyone hears back and wouldn't mind sharing I would love to get an idea about when interview invitations are sent out or when rejections are sent.

Good luck everyone!
Invites and denial letters will be emailed at the end of this week. interviews are the 9th/10th of March.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess they're waiting until the last day of the week! Good luck tomorrow everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Was told by the end of this week the applicants will be notified, but I guess not. The wait is nerve wracking!

Nothing here either. Has anyone called them today?

I just called but was sent to voicemail.

I got an interview!!!!!