Cleveland Clinic Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the Cleveland Clinic Program starts offering acceptances?

By the way, congrats to everyone who has been accepted

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still hoping that someone who interviewed there might explain a few things to me.

1) What's financial aid like? Are they at least giving out alot of money if their mission is to produce academics?
2) Do you spend the first two years at CWRU or is the lecture hall, anatomy lab, etc completely separate?
3) Why do a REQUIRED year out from med school, when you could go elsewhere, do an OPTIONAL year out and probably get a bunch of funding to do it?

Thanks to anyone who's got the answers.

Hi Neuronix

First of all, thanks for your input on this forum, you have have shared some really useful advice for us hapless premeds!!

I will try to address your questions to the best of my ability.

First of all students do not go to CRWU for lectures. All of our learning is in small groups (8 students per group) and is PBL-no lectures. All sessions are held at the Cleveland Clinic (that includes Anatomy).

I really like that approach, it requires active learning and I think you retain and integrate much more of the information.

Secondly they have a NIH training grant for Physician Scientists so you have less loan burden than at other schools. I also interviewed at Case Western and their loan burden was at least 10,000 more dollars per year than at Cleveland Clinic.

You do research for an 18 month period starting in year 3. In the first 2 years you get rotations in basic, translational and clinical research as well as getting a jump start on your project.

They try to coordinate your clinical experiences with your research and they have a ton of clinical electives available in addition to core clerkships you do in years 3 and beyond.

In year 5, you are given a stipend to complete your research.

I think it is an awesome program for someone interested in translational research.

Hopefully I get in and can give you more specifics as I matriculate in the program!!

Best Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OhioMD,

I too interviewed with the Cleveland Clinic in October. I can't wait to hear from them. I just wanted to ask you what you thought about the school and if you feel that there will be some kinks in the program because its the first year. Do you know how often the AdCom meets and how often they will be sending out acceptances? I know not too many people applied to this program so I thought I was ask you.

hey Folks,

I'm going to CWRU campus tomorrow to turn in my acceptance form for CWRU med (woooo hooo). At that time I am going to ask the dean of admissions at Case to explain the Clinic program (called the "college" program) to me. I intend to add my name to the list of applicants to the clinic program at that time if I am satisfied with all the answers I get.

Truth be told, i am probably underqualified for the college program because I have no research. But, I'm pretty sure I want to do some in med school, I'm hugely interested in the PBL style curriculum AND I think being part of a new med school (particularly one attached to one of the best hospitals in the world) will be hugely exciting and fun.

So, i will let you know everything I find out.

As far as I know right now, the college program does not mix at all with the university program but costs the same in terms of tuition. That being the case, I can't see why the loan burden would be less unless the college program requires a smaller "unit loan" - which is possible, I guess.

Anyway, excited to learn all about it. so will let you all know.

Judd

Hi Judd

Could you find out if they have any idea when decision letters are sent out from the clinic program? I have tried to contact people at the clininc program but have been unsuccessful.

So sorry Autobot...I would like to know as well!

Judd-I think it is awesome that have been accepted into Case!!

:)

PS - I PM'd you

I think the adcom is meeting sometime next week (or the week after?). They said they'll be sending out a few acceptances right away but then puting most people on hold until they have more interviews.

I've responded to all my PM's.

Judd

I've read up on this program and it sounds really cool. Anyone know what the average gpa & mcat scores are for this program? What, in particular, are they looking for in their candidates. Good look to everyone who's in the application cycle!:clap:

I don't think they have GPA/MCAT averages. They just started interviewing, so I don't think it's too late to apply and they are interviewing until February. From the interviews, it seems like the program is looking for people with clinical and research experiences. I think an interest in doing research is fine too.

Depending on need, they give around $20,000/yr in grants to each student - this is why the loan burden is less. I was unclear about the fifth year stipend though - I know the tuition is only 5% during the 5th year, but do they actually give you money?

i was just at cclcm today and they said that they will be mailing acceptances in a month because there are still applications coming in.

anyways: i'm pretty sure they help you with the 5th year: either via loans or with NIH grants. hope that helps some of you: hang in there.

I received a call today informing me of my acceptance to the cleveland clinic. This was my first acceptance so I was thrilled. All I can remember is that I think I kept saying thank you. I interviewed on October 13th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job autobot!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a first acceptance. Great program. I can imagine what must have been going through your mind during the call.

hey, that's good news autobot. I just turned in my secondary essay for them a few days ago. I hope I hear something soon from them. I really like the program a lot. The 5th year could go either way. Not sure about the finances. But rest assured it's going to be a top program and innovative as well, and I think you should be very pleased with yourself right now. It's a fantastic place to be.

Judd

For those who have been accepted,
Do you mind sharing your stats and credentials that you think made you a good fit for the Cleveland Clinic. Thanks.

Hey Judd

Your PM box is full! Could you please free up some space?

Autobot, I also PMd you!

I just got invited for interview at both Case Western and Cleveland Clinic. Is there anyone who designated both programs but was invited to interview by one place and not invited by the other?

I also got an invitation from both. For those of you who interviewed at CCLCM, are you going to fill out the interview feedback thingie on SDN? CCLCM isn't up there right now. If you can't because it's not there, could you post your interview experiences here for now?

yeah - that would be really cool if those who have already interviewed post their experiences. I'll be there on Dec 18. I'm really looking forward to it - sounds like such a cool program.

Originally posted by charik
I also got an invitation from both. For those of you who interviewed at CCLCM, are you going to fill out the interview feedback thingie on SDN? CCLCM isn't up there right now. If you can't because it's not there, could you post your interview experiences here for now?

there are pretty extensive and informative tours of the research institute and the clinic. it's really nice. the interviews themselves were surprisingly laid back- pretty much just a conversation, with no real "grilling" about ethics or anything. i personally had a really good time there.

Memorable questions they asked me included....
how do you work in a group? have you failed at anything? Talk to me about an ethical issues you've read about in the news. Have you seen any ethical or moral situations when shadowing ?
Make sure your know your research inside and out-- I talked about it in both interviews, and it seems to be one of the keys.
Also, give yourself an extra 5 minutes to find the door to the builiding-- I know they give you the corner that you're supposed to go to, but I found it a little hard to get into the building.

My interview there was really great. I freaking loved the facilities and just about everything about the program. The education and research building is as nice as the University of Rochester building, which is saying quite a bit (in fact, it's probably a bit nicer - certainly the library is nicer).

My interviews were just conversations. I'm non-trad, which means that I for the most part don't get asked the typical pre-med questions (ethical issues, etc.). They ussually revovle around background and stuff like that.

It's a long interview day. But you see everything in the school and the hospital.

If any of you have any specific questions about the program, feel free to PM me. I asked a lot of questions during the interview and think I have a good sense of the programs threngths and weaknesses.

Judd

judd,

did you interview at both cwru and the clinic as well?

Osar92,

Sure did.

Judd