Clerkship process starts at 12:01 tomorrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can call me stupid, its okay, I won't get upset with you.

I think I will change my side on this one now. Thank you air bud and everyone else that overapplied. Because you all cancelled programs, open spots are now everywhere. I was able to apply this morning to a backup program and easily get accepted to my first choice month. And yes, this is a top 10 program.

I know that may be a pretty sophisticated statement above to grasp, but it shows exactly why people shouldn't overapply. I'm sure people were initially rejected from the program I just got a spot in.

Rocky, I do see your point about the quick turn around. Some students may not cancel right away though, some programs do not give a short time frame to respond. I'm sure there are at least a few students right now that still have more externships confirmed than number of spots.

Finally, I was never here to complain about my own situation, I'm doing just fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Sig,
See, we are getting somewhere, civility works. What we are trying to explain to you is that people don't actually CONFIRM they are going to program until they are positive they are. There is a huge difference between waiting a day or 2 to reply to a program (in hopes your desired calls) and then saying no vs. saying yes right away then cancelling. By not answering the phone call from your backup, or giving them an excuse saying some months switched and you need a day, you are delaying your backup program from crossing anyone off their list. I in NO WAY advocate renegging on a clerkship confirmatin. In fact, I don't know anyone who has. Thus, by leaving your backup in limbo, it gives you time to hear from your desired program. Lets say they still haven't gotten back to you and your backup needs an answer. Few options here. 1 you can cancel your desired and go to your backup. Backup doesnt mean bad program. 2 you can roll the dice on your desired and say no thanks to the backup. 3 you can call your primary and do a power play and say "hey, I really want your program, but other programs are pressuring me for an answer and I need to know from you now/soon." If that desired program wants you, they will say yes.
Problem solved.
I hope you are starting to understand of this works.

Last edited:
Thank you air bud and everyone else that overapplied. Because you all cancelled programs, open spots are now everywhere.

This isn't directed at Sig since he doesn't have any experience with applying to backups. But to those of you who did (basically any 3rd/4th year who isn't at NYCPM), did any of you actually "Cancel" a program AFTER you said "yes" to extern there?

That seems to be the point everyone is making, when you apply to backups, you don't ever "cancel" on a program after you accept their offer. You either say no thanks or you accept and fill the month, meaning you have to say no thanks to another program. If that's true then I'm really failing to grasp how applying to backups can "hurt" your peers...???

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email from a program that I expressed interest in last week that they have 2 additional months that have now suddenly "become available". I'm suspecting they got a couple of cancellations.

I just got an email from a program that I expressed interest in last week that they have 2 additional months that have now suddenly "become available". I'm suspecting they got a couple of cancellations.

I doubt they were "cancellations." Lets start using the right terms here people. Most likely they were waiting for a confirmation from a student who said thanks but no thanks. Then, they started calling people further down the list.

I doubt they were "cancellations." Lets start using the right terms here people. Most likely they were waiting for a confirmation from a student who said thanks but no thanks. Then, they started calling people further down the list.

I find it highly unlikely that any program will tell me that a month is taken without confirming that month with the student to whom it was offered. Then contact me later and say the month is now available. That has cancellation written all over it.

If they are still waiting for a confirmation from a student, that month should still be open for application by others until it is confirmed. Clerkship programs want to fill spots as bad as we want to fill them. Why would they burn themselves by not accepting applications for a month that has not yet been confirmed???

Yeah, your right here. My bad. And there is NO (or few few) reason for cancellations

^^I accepted a backup program (which was/is actually a highly regarded program) and then had to officially cancel when I was accepted to my first choice for that month. I tried to proceed as carefully and professionally as possible, but I still had reserved a month and then backed out.

I guess it does happen and its all a function of the game that everyone plays. And it absolutely is a game. If you don't treat it like so, then you are probably losing. Just try to learn a lot while you're playing.

Good luck to all throughout "the process".

Don't worry about having to cancel to do what you gotta do at this stage in the game. Just don't be an ass. Most of you on here are so prepared, I'm sure will end up fine during match.

We had people cancel up to 2 weeks before the start of their rotation at our program... contract signed and everything..like a year ago..with no real proper reason. And then they have the balls to apply for interview :confused:. Don't be one of those people because these are the ones who ruin it for everybody else.