Clerkship order

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Make Or Break

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm freaking out here and its messing with my studying. This is the order I got my clerkships assigned to me.

Peds -> Surgery -> FM -> Internal/Obgyn/Psych (this can be in any order since it counts as its own block)

How bad is it that I am doing surgery before IM when I am strongly thinking about surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

This is almost the same order I did my clerkships except I started out with surgery and did peds in bet OBGYN and Psych. I honored every clerkship so far and so it is doable. Having said that, I put surgery first because I am definitely not interested in surgery and wanted to get it out of my way. My only regret is that perhaps, I should have done FM and IM later in the year so that I don't have to review so much for Step 2.

Reactions: 1 user
This is almost the same order I did my clerkships except I started out with surgery and did peds in bet OBGYN and Psych. I honored every clerkship so far and so it is doable. Having said that, I put surgery first because I am definitely not interested in surgery and wanted to get it out of my way. My only regret is that perhaps, I should have done FM and IM later in the year so that I don't have to review so much for Step 2.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully Psych will be chill at your school, which is a great way to end 3rd year :thumbup:

It's fine. Yes, the test will be more challenging because you won't have the medical experience and a lot of the test isn't representative of day to day surgery clerkship, but the expectations are also lower earlier in the year. I had surgery second (IM is my last) and it was fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there is a a more overblown issue third year than clerkship order.

Had surgery before medicine. Did great on the shelf. That looks like a great order, you start with a fairly chill but still serious rotation in peds and ramp up to surgery after that.

Hey guys, I'm freaking out here and its messing with my studying. This is the order I got my clerkships assigned to me.

Peds -> Surgery -> FM -> Internal/Obgyn/Psych (this can be in any order since it counts as its own block)

How bad is it that I am doing surgery before IM when I am strongly thinking about surgery?

Not bad. In pediatrics you're going to learn a chunk of the surgery stuff for peds so that's good. You'll also learn or study some overlaps of medical disease in peds that are the same for adults as well. Otherwise follow the advice for what to study on forums etc. it's better that surgery isn't your first one.