This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I need some help on how to classify some military activities. I have asked about one in particular and am still unsure for the rest.
Please take in to consideration, Military is salaried so...that is why I am confused.

1) While a lab tech student (still on active duty) I volunteered to conduct morning phlebotomy rounds. This was not by any means under the umbrella of what students were required to do and I was not evaluated, incentivized to do it. Is this volunteering or do I put it under my military tab?

2) Within my army reserve unit, I have organized and ran company blood drives. Again, this has not been used in any evaluations and was not incentivized. Is this volunteering or do I put it under my military tab?

3) Humanitarian mission to Columbia to run a screening clinic for three weeks (Malaria, HIV, blood types etc.). This acted as my Annual Training for the year, however I was not offered the position, I actively sought out the position because I wanted to help. This is most likely just clinical work or do I put it under my military tab?

4) Suicide, depression and substance abuse counselor and advocate for my unit and the surrounding veteran community. This has not been on evaluations, is unincentivized, and predominantly occurs outside of military hours and not in uniform. Is this considered clinical or non-clinical volunteering?

5) I did a 5 day training at the Mayo Clinic simulation center with my unit on “effective communication in the hospital/care teams.” This was very influential in my path to medicine, not so much to go in to PS but enough to definitely mention due to working with and observing IM/EM/Gas/Trauma all working together in several routine and mass-casualty scenarios. Both at the Mayo Clinic training AND the deserts of California 3 years in a row for 3-4 week full-hospital training excercises. How do I highlight these experiences? These are the most clinical portion(s) of my military experience, should they be under military tab or a separate tab?

On the note of separate tabs, I additionally have like 10-14 other non-military activities (none of which are clinical volunteering, unfortunately) that almost cannot be combined. I guess it is a good thing to have the issue of too many ECs....

Please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I really want to nail down this work/activities section.

Plus, I could really use more eyes on my PS if anyone is willing to help...

Members don't see this ad.

1) volunteering. Also, just FYI you can list things as volunteering even if they are on your evals.

2) Did you do this as part of your job or on your own time? If the former, then military. If the latter, then volunteering.

3) clinical. Still awesome and definitely include this.

4) eh. I personally put stuff like that under my military tab, since it was a collateral duty and not something I did completely on my own.

5) list it using the repeated activity function as clinical and mention that it was with your unit.

Just an opinion from a fellow military applicant, but I got advice from adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user