Classification on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BirkChick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

For the DAT, to what level of classification do we need to be familiar? I'm comfortable with the phylums of animalia -- is that enough? I'm concerned because I've taken a couple of the TopScore tests and found that they go deeper into classification than I thought was required. :confused:

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need to know the main 3 domains, the kingdoms with in, and the phylums. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen looking at the practice tests, it looks like they don't ask anything really beyond the phylum level. However I suppose they could ask you to identify the phylum or kingdom of a common organism in that phylum/kindgom, although I don't specifically remember seeing any questions like that.

Here are some examples that I remember:
-One question you had to know that fungi is not photosynthetic
-one question you had to know what bryophytes are (liverworts, hornworts, and mosses) to answer the question
-it seems like they ask about cnidarians and echinodermata a lot.

I would say know the domains, know the kingdoms, know the important phylums. Have an idea of the main features of phylum (symetry, nutrition method, circulation, respiration, reproduction, etc) and know some organisms you are familiar with from each phylum. For example, if you are asked about echinodermata, and know what a sea urchin looks like--that it has radial symetry, you should be able to answer any question about echinodermata involving symetry even if they ask you about an organism you are not familar with such as sea lilies.

Know Schaum's Outline of Biology classification section from front to back, including the little details. It may seem impossible, but give yourself a month to keep going over the material. Come test time, you will thank me.

Look at my previous post on how I studied and performed on my actual DAT.

In fact, here you go, I'll give you the link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=245149

Goodluck,
Indy

classification is my favorite part in biology. i like to draw a picture of one of the animals and label the parts and memorize the picture. this way i remember everything about every phylum in animalia,plantae,fungi,monera, and protists. i dont know which ones will be required to know for the actual dat. i heard that only 1 or 2 classification questions come in the dat. some students get non but some get more than 2. each dat is different.