class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamWallace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my class rank has fallen over 3rd year to somewhere in the 3rd quartile from 2nd quartile. The rest of my application is excellent with a step 1 of 240+ and a step 2 CK of 270 and plenty of urology and other research. My question is how bad will this hurt me for Urology?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately my class rank has fallen over 3rd year to somewhere in the 3rd quartile from 2nd quartile. The rest of my application is excellent with a step 1 of 240+ and a step 2 CK of 270 and plenty of urology and other research. My question is how bad will this hurt me for Urology?

May or may not be ok. Depends on what your grades were, especially in surgery.

Did ok in surgery. Like I said, we don't necessarily rank each individual class but I did above average in surgery with a good shelf exam (88th percentile).

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, you are at a pass/fail school or something? Well, it won't help you to be basically in the middle of your class. Probably be ok though. Any bad evals?

How is rank calculated at your school then? What is okay in surgery: H/HP/P/F. I mean you will still match with those scores and research but it might hurt you at top places because it sounds like you dropped in MS3 ... which is the most important year.

How is rank calculated at your school then? What is okay in surgery: H/HP/P/F. I mean you will still match with those scores and research but it might hurt you at top places because it sounds like you dropped in MS3 ... which is the most important year.
Grades are set up as H/P/F with no HP. Unfortunately my situation is not simple. I actually did above the mean in all my 3rd year grades but fell in class rank...I believe this may be from being put in a new cohort of students (I took a year to do research between 2nd and 3rd year) and from poorly functioning students dropping class. I kind of got screwed because I think I'm right at that tipping point between 3rd and 2nd quartile, but just happened to fall on the wrong side. The way our dean's letter is set up they won't see that I dropped quartiles in 3rd year it will simply be reported as 3rd quartile for entire medical school.

OK, you are at a pass/fail school or something? Well, it won't help you to be basically in the middle of your class. Probably be ok though. Any bad evals?

No bad evaluations at all. All the evaluations depict me as an outstanding student with most of them saying "above average" and my surgery saying well above average.

If the only blemish on your application is class rank, than you should a) not worry about something so trivial, and b) congratulate the other very impressive students in your class.