Class Rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJenks89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals!

What sort of class ranking should I be aiming for when it comes to internships/residencies? 10%? 25%?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and gals!

What sort of class ranking should I be aiming for when it comes to internships/residencies? 10%? 25%?

It completely depends on the type of residency, including academic vs clinic and the specific field. Class rank comes more into play with the very popular internships/residencies such as surgery, internal med, etc.

(By the way, woot GA! We have two residents in my specialty from GA, and they are amazing gals)

The higher the better. For rotating internships, I would try to be in the top 50% but top 25% would be much better. Remember ... it's a competition for the spots and there are usually more applicants than spots. Just like getting into vet school. If everything else is equal, they're probably going to pick the higher GPA/class rank.

Course everything else is usually not equal and there are other factors they consider, such as recommendations. Again, it's very similar to the situation of getting into vet school

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have anything relevant to say, but I'm excited to see a student from UGA! There's barely anybody here from Athens, so I always get excited. Hahaha What class are you if you don't mind me asking?

I don't have anything relevant to say, but I'm excited to see a student from UGA! There's barely anybody here from Athens, so I always get excited. Hahaha What class are you if you don't mind me asking?

I am actually from the C/O 2015 so I'm a big ol' newbie. :laugh: It's nice to see more UGA CVM students on here!

Sadly not CVM yet, but I'm an undergrad here. I just started shadowing at the la hospital though, so I might be there like 1-3 times a week. :D