Class of 2018: Where are you applying?

Narrowed it down to a few choices.

-Arkansas State University (in home town, could get a full ride)
-Lyon College
-Hendrix university (2.5 hours away, farthest I'd want to go)
-Rhodes College (out of state, high tuition)

Any info on these schools/advice?

Arkansas resident!? :thumbup:

I'm sure you can figure out where I went by my username then. I love where I went to school. However, that being said, I really regret not applying to Hendrix College myself. Long story, but my parent's bankruptcy basically forced me to go only where I could get a full ride. I probably could have gotten around it then, but I had no clue how.

I know Hendrix has a good reputation, and it seems to me like they prepare students well for medical school. I know a guy who did his undergrad there who is now an MD/PhD at UAMS. There seem to be a lot of acceptances from ASU this cycle as well - though U of A probably leads that just because of the sheer volume of apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone applying to ASU or U of A? Do they offer good financial aid? Are they good schools? I've heard that ASU is kind of a party school/jock school.

• Stanford
  • Brown
  • Washington U.
  • Rice U.
  • Northwestern
  • UCLA
  • UC Berkeley

Safety:
  • UCSD
  • UC Davis
  • UCI
  • Tufts U.
  • U. of Nottingham

Not as big as the lists for some of my friends who've applied to all of the UCs.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Stanford
  • Brown
  • Washington U.
  • Rice U.
  • Northwestern
  • UCLA
  • UC Berkeley

Safety:
  • UCSD
  • UC Davis
  • UCI
  • Tufts U.
  • U. of Nottingham

Not as big as the lists for some of my friends who've applied to all of the UCs.

Wow. Very prestigious schools. Are you from California?

Wow. Very prestigious schools. Are you from California?

Yup, I'm from California! :)
Stanford and Brown are reaches...I don't have high hopes that I will get in to either one of those.

Yup, I'm from California! :)
Stanford and Brown are reaches...I don't have high hopes that I will get in to either one of those.

You have good stats, I assume.

Stanford
Brown
Washington U.
Rice U.
Northwestern
UCLA
UC Berkeley

Safety:
UCSD
UC Davis
UCI
Tufts U.
U. of Nottingham

No USC? Just curious...but why not? It's a really, really good school (or that's what I've heard)....

You CA residents are lucky. You have so many great schools.

but then again, it seems like many are ridiculously tough to get into :(

but then again, it seems like many are ridiculously tough to get into :(

Still, in Vermont we have essentially 2 reputable schools (UVM and Middlebury College). Middlebury is insanely hard to get into (acceptance rate is lower than Cornell). UVM is sort of easy to get into (but keeps getting harder each year), but it costs a TON. Not for me, but for everyone else.

Canadian schools are cheaper....the ones I am planning to apply to:

- McMasters
- McGill
- Waterloo
- Queens
- UBC Vancouver
- UBC Kelowna
- University of Alberta

I narrowed my choices to four:

- Virginia Tech
- Penn State
- University of Maryland
- University of Pittsburgh

Members don't see this ad :)
(Sorry for the repost)
===UPDATE 4/1/13===
I have finally decided on a school. I'm planning on going to UVM if I get accepted. Here's why:

1. No tuition. Both of my parents are faculty members and therefore I don't have to pay any tuition to attend (I still have to pay for R&B, books, and fees).

2. Family support, connections, legacy. Pretty much everyone in my family attended UVM at some point in their life. My great grandmother was one of the first women at UVM. My uncle and aunt met at UVM (so did my parents). My cousin went to medical school at UVMCOM (my other cousin is planning on applying there). Since my parents are both biology professors (also holding administrative positions) they have connections. Not just to other science faculty, but also all the way up to the dean of medicine.

3. In-state privileges and admissions favorability. All UVM students are guaranteed an interview at UVMCOM, and of those students, in-state students are given preference.

4. Strong medical school and hospital attached. UVMCOM is one of the oldest and hardest medical schools to get into. It is attached to a level 1 trauma center and has several subspecialty units attached. Trauma cases all the way from upstate New York are helicoptered in for the care provided at Fletcher Allen. About half of the University of Vermont's public funding is pumped into the medical school. This is a great place to volunteer and do research.

Canadian schools are cheaper....the ones I am planning to apply to:

- McMasters
- McGill
- Waterloo
- Queens
- UBC Vancouver
- UBC Kelowna
- University of Alberta

I've heard great things about McGill.

Have you considered UVic? I don't know anything specific about the academic programs there, but the Victoria is absolutely stunning and the people are very friendly :)

I've heard great things about McGill.

Have you considered UVic? I don't know anything specific about the academic programs there, but the Victoria is absolutely stunning and the people are very friendly :)

McGill is the Harvard of Canada.

Pretty cheap too.

Ok, Here's my final list of schools in order (I get 3 free applications)

In State:
UNC-Chapel Hill
Duke
Wake Forest
ECU
NC State

Out of State
Clemson
USC (S. Carolina)
Virginia Tech

Ok, Here's my final list of schools in order (I get 3 free applications)

In State:
UNC-Chapel Hill
Duke
Wake Forest

ECU
NC State

Out of State
Clemson
USC (S. Carolina)
Virginia Tech

:thumbup:
Bolded = Great Schools
Out of those I am only considering Clemson and South Carolina. The others are either too hard for me to get into or I'm simply not interested. So you're southern? :naughty:

:thumbup:
Bolded = Great Schools
Out of those I am only considering Clemson and South Carolina. The others are either too hard for me to get into or I'm simply not interested. So you're southern? :naughty:

I'm not too interested in Out of states, but I was recommended by most to apply anyway. I took a trip to Clemson and USC already. I'm pretty impressed on the most part.

And yep. Just a good ol' country boy lol :laugh:

Anyone know anything about the following places?
Rollins College
Elon University
Stetson University
James Madison University
Appalachian State University
Mercer University
College of Charleston
Trinity University

They seem interesting but I haven't heard much about them.

• Stanford
  • Brown
  • Washington U.
  • Rice U.
  • Northwestern
  • UCLA
  • UC Berkeley

Safety:
  • UCSD
  • UC Davis
  • UCI
  • Tufts U.
  • U. of Nottingham

Are you applying to the University of Nottingham in the UK? If so which program, is it medicine?

Why would someone do medicine in the UK?

Anyone know anything about the following places?
Rollins College
Elon University
Stetson University
James Madison University
Appalachian State University
Mercer University
College of Charleston
Trinity University

They seem interesting but I haven't heard much about them.

I know about Stetson and Rollins, but that's about it. Really, from what I've seen I know Rollins is viewed as the FL Country Club (there's many rich people) and there may be a drug scene (but cmon, that's at every college.. if you want to find something, you'll find it).

Also, Stetson is considered the same in academic reputation, but it seems like they give more need and look more scholarships for other factors rather than Rollins who really base it off numbers. Hope that helped :D

I know about Stetson and Rollins, but that's about it. Really, from what I've seen I know Rollins is viewed as the FL Country Club (there's many rich people) and there may be a drug scene (but cmon, that's at every college.. if you want to find something, you'll find it).

Also, Stetson is considered the same in academic reputation, but it seems like they give more need and look more scholarships for other factors rather than Rollins who really base it off numbers. Hope that helped :D

Yeah, I've heard Rollins is sort of a frat school for rich people. There is a large pool in the middle of the campus. Also, I've read that the classes are REALLLLYYYY easy and don't require a lot of homework.

Bumped Instead of starting a new Thread

Been revamping my list again. Here's what it looks like so far

In State:
UNC-Chapel Hill (First Choice)
Wake Forest (Second Choice)
NC State
ECU
UNC-Wilmington (Safety)
Shaw (Safety)

Out of State
Miami (Third Choice)
Virginia Tech
Clemson
USC (S. Carolina)

Curious to here everyone else's

Is this a joke? If you don't know the one and only place I am applying to, you don't deserve to be my friend :/

I've changed my college list too, this is pretty much final:

- Salisbury University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of the Sciences
- Ohio State University
- University of Maryland
- Purdue University (Just to see :p)

Basically final:

1. VMI
2. North Georgia
3. Purdue University
4. Indiana University
5. University of South Florida
6. New College of Florida

:horns:

woooo good luck you guys. I specifically like Bio's list more than you others guys's nbd

1. ASU
2. Arizona State University
3. AZ State
4. New American University
5. Anti-UA-University
5. Barrett ASU

My list seems pretty legit!

1. ASU
2. Arizona State University
3. AZ State
4. New American University
5. Anti-UA-University
5. Barrett ASU

My list seems pretty legit!

idk bro you don't have enough reaches

I'm not a junior but I still feel like replying to this post. Here's my list.

Northwestern- If I could afford it but their med school is number 1 on my list
Northern Illinois University
University of Illinois-Chicago-second choice
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign- my top choice
University of Illinois- Springfield- third choice

I am not the class, but COMMENT! ;)
These schools I could easily apply and don't have to pay *that* much...since I live there....but I want to go out of state.
Pennsylvania! :D I want to go there. Since I'm a mere freshman, I will simply say I want to go to a college there, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, or California. ^^

S/O to normal peeps on sdn.

Alright for everyone wondering about Purdue:

I visited there today, attended some classes and lunch, and took a tour of campus. It's an awesome place! The College of Science is pretty huge, specifically for Biology (concentrations in Micro, Disease, Education, and more). The facilities all looked really nice and research opportunities are everywhere. Almost every professor in every department I saw had some sort of research opportunity, and it all was great.

For people who like stuff besides academics, the dining halls are awesome. There are 4 main ones, and each has their own "specialty" of foods they make. The one I ate in was famous for amazing quesadillas that you build yourself. It's kind of a Golden Corral setup, where you can get as many plates as you want. There is a new rec center on campus that includes an indoor olympic sized pool, a rock climbing wall, a spa area, and normal weight equipment. There a also intramural sports for everything from Judo to Quidditch.

So yeah, Purdue :thumbup:

Alright for everyone wondering about Purdue:

I visited there today, attended some classes and lunch, and took a tour of campus. It's an awesome place! The College of Science is pretty huge, specifically for Biology (concentrations in Micro, Disease, Education, and more). The facilities all looked really nice and research opportunities are everywhere. Almost every professor in every department I saw had some sort of research opportunity, and it all was great.

For people who like stuff besides academics, the dining halls are awesome. There are 4 main ones, and each has their own "specialty" of foods they make. The one I ate in was famous for amazing quesadillas that you build yourself. It's kind of a Golden Corral setup, where you can get as many plates as you want. There is a new rec center on campus that includes an indoor olympic sized pool, a rock climbing wall, a spa area, and normal weight equipment. There a also intramural sports for everything from Judo to Quidditch.

So yeah, Purdue :thumbup:

Oh wow ~ That's pretty cool, especially the spa area lol.

One thing I really like Purdue is their college of agriculture, specifically their pre-vet biochemistry and pre-vet animal science major.

Last edited:
So basically when you tour a college you pretend to be a student there in a sense? Purdue sounds really amazing.

So basically when you tour a college you pretend to be a student there in a sense? Purdue sounds really amazing.

It was a special invite-only "Experience Purdue" day if you had good enough testing scores and GPA. I think around 700 kids were there for th day total, and yeah we had an admission seminar, I took classes in Creative Thinking and Construction Management, ate lunch, and toured afterwards. I don't know if other colleges offer similar programs or not.

It would be epic if they did. It'd attract so many....
So Purdue for you? :)

Did I forget to mention I am applying to ASU? Just making sure...

Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCB
UCD
UCI
USC
Pitzer College/WesternU COM BS/DO Dual Admission Program
SUNY Stony Brook

Safety:
UCSB
UCR