BOTH Class of 2018 Board Study Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobigorgohome22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Class of 2018ers!

I hope everyone is enjoying the last free summer of your lives!

As the start of 2nd yr gets closer, I have started thinking a little about the infamous STEP 1 exams for USMLE and COMLEX (I'm an Osteopathic student). I thought it might be a good idea to have kind of a study group here to help keep me in check and keep each other in check as studying starts and decided to create this.

I would like to open this up to both USMLE and COMLEX discussion.

So, how's everyone spending their summer? Started thinking any about the hell that is going to be coming up over the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive been doing some research over the summer, but ive been talking with different people trying to get an idea of how to prepare for this beast! I keep getting so much varied advice so just trying to weed through it all and come up with a plan before school starts

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been doing some research over the summer, but ive been talking with different people trying to get an idea of how to prepare for this beast! I keep getting so much varied advice so just trying to weed through it all and come up with a plan before school starts

Same! I'm doing research for the summer and trying to enjoy it a little. I've been talking to older classmates to see how they studied and browsing SDN to see how I should study.

Have you come across a schedule that anyone has used before and would recommend?

These are some awesome resources, Especially the study schedules that these documents contain! Thank you so much for sharing.

Are you class of 2018 as well?

We just started GI.

The only thing is those schedules don't really fit with ours. We're taking step at the end of Feb or first week of March 2016.

Maybe spend a week of two modifying a schedule you find online and that you like into something that could work for you? The good news is that you still have plenty of time!

Same! I'm doing research for the summer and trying to enjoy it a little. I've been talking to older classmates to see how they studied and browsing SDN to see how I should study.

Have you come across a schedule that anyone has used before and would recommend?

nope and that's what i've been trying to find online. i really want a schedule for how to incorporate step studying into 2nd year studies. I think I have my resources down that im going to use during the year, but I need structure lol so I need a schedule of someone who has done it so I can just do what they did haha

nope and that's what i've been trying to find online. i really want a schedule for how to incorporate step studying into 2nd year studies. I think I have my resources down that im going to use during the year, but I need structure lol so I need a schedule of someone who has done it so I can just do what they did haha

hahaha Yeah, if I dont have a schedule when I start studying, I'll just feel like im not achieving anything.

One great advise that I got from one of my older classmate was that get a schedule and stick to it. As you get closer to the test, all your classmates start to go crazy and try to copy what everyone else is doing. They dont stick to a plan and it ultimately hurts them and keeps them unfocused.

It seems knowing/UNDERSTANDING Goljan is a must for step 1 prep. Im starting to go through his RR path book, and try to understand why things are happening. I plan to keep reading goljan throughout the year, however, my priority will be to do well in my classes.

i also plan to do usmlerx/first aid to hammer in all that info together too.

Best of luck to everyone taking the beast next spring/summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are usmlerx and first aid questions similar? If so would it be smart to use usmle rx questions throughout the year and save uworld for boards?

Are usmlerx and first aid questions similar? If so would it be smart to use usmle rx questions throughout the year and save uworld for boards?

That's personally what I am doing using usmlerx during m2 year and then uworld for board prep, but I have heard it both ways. Some start doing uworld like in december once they finish the fall semester and work their way through it. I personally know when I do practice questions I sometimes remember the questions and therefore the answers so I would rather wait. But I think you will heard it being done multiple ways

That's personally what I am doing using usmlerx during m2 year and then uworld for board prep, but I have heard it both ways. Some start doing uworld like in december once they finish the fall semester and work their way through it. I personally know when I do practice questions I sometimes remember the questions and therefore the answers so I would rather wait. But I think you will heard it being done multiple ways

So what's the difference between USMLE rx and FireCracker? Firecraker is just quick fact questions. Is that what USMLE rx is like? Or is it more similar to full UWorld type questions in USMLE rx?

So what's the difference between USMLE rx and FireCracker? Firecraker is just quick fact questions. Is that what USMLE rx is like? Or is it more similar to full UWorld type questions in USMLE rx?
As I understand it, USMLE Rx is the question bank made by the creators of FIRST AID, so it really serves as a reinforcement/supplement for FA. From what I've read in old threads, Rx typically has simple/recall type questions whereas UWorld tends to require more logical steps to arrive at the answer.

I have classes starting in around 2 weeks, and have just begun to look into all this crazy Step 1 madness. It is truly intimidating (the MCAT seems like just yesterday! Ugh) At this point, I am researching different materials and resources so that I won't be feeling so clueless and overwhelmed about the process of forming a study plan DURING M2 while I'm trying to do well in my classes. :nailbiting:

So far my tentative plans include:

-Buying 12 month access to Pathoma and using this during the whole M2 year alongside classes to reinforce M1 and M2 concepts
-I would like to use USMLE Rx as my first Qbank alongside my 2013 edition of F.A., aiming for one complete pass of each.
-I will buy the 2016 edition of F.A. as soon as it becomes available (hopefully December)
-I plan to purchase UWorld as my 2nd Qbank some time in second semester or at least by dedicated study time
-I plan to take all available NBME self-assessments, saving the vast majority for the end of my dedicated study time
-As I get closer to the exam I will be deciding on resources for Pharm memorization/review, perhaps Lange flashcards.

At this time I do NOT see myself using:
-Kaplan Qbank/Kaplan videos (you can only use so many resources and I do not want to drown)
-Firecracker/anki... I guess I'm just not hip enough since I barely understand what these even are and can surely do fine without them
-Goljan/RR.... I mean I already will be using Pathoma and I also have Red Robbins (question book). I also bought Clinical Pathophys Made Ridic Simple. I can't use EVERYTHING...

The amount of resources out there is incredible :bookworm: :beaver: :bear:
I am not sure what I will need to review Biochem (I depended entirely on my class lectures/wikipedia during M1). For anatomy I may use Chung's (BRS) since I have not touched that yet (During M1 I used Michigan Q's, Clinical Anatomy Made Ridic Simple, Netter's Atlas). For Neuro I will definitely go back over Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridic Simple (that book is freakin' gold)

I wish all this were over. Ah well. Almost time to roll up the sleeves. :inpain: :meh:

^Solid plan you got there and it's pretty similar to my own, expect for the Anki bit. It helped me a lot in another major exam I took in my undergrad course and I'll try it out again this time around. Spaced repetition FTW.

I'm debating on whether to incorporate Kaplan Qbank for the school year and then USMLERx during xmas break... but I bet I'm overestimating myself and will probably just stick with one Qbank lol. Maybe USMLERx because of its FA info. On a kinda related note, I just got FA 2015 and browsed through some MS1 stuff... lmao what did I do last year???

As I understand it, USMLE Rx is the question bank made by the creators of FIRST AID, so it really serves as a reinforcement/supplement for FA. From what I've read in old threads, Rx typically has simple/recall type questions whereas UWorld tends to require more logical steps to arrive at the answer.

I have classes starting in around 2 weeks, and have just begun to look into all this crazy Step 1 madness. It is truly intimidating (the MCAT seems like just yesterday! Ugh) At this point, I am researching different materials and resources so that I won't be feeling so clueless and overwhelmed about the process of forming a study plan DURING M2 while I'm trying to do well in my classes. :nailbiting:

So far my tentative plans include:

-Buying 12 month access to Pathoma and using this during the whole M2 year alongside classes to reinforce M1 and M2 concepts
-I would like to use USMLE Rx as my first Qbank alongside my 2013 edition of F.A., aiming for one complete pass of each.
-I will buy the 2016 edition of F.A. as soon as it becomes available (hopefully December)
-I plan to purchase UWorld as my 2nd Qbank some time in second semester or at least by dedicated study time
-I plan to take all available NBME self-assessments, saving the vast majority for the end of my dedicated study time
-As I get closer to the exam I will be deciding on resources for Pharm memorization/review, perhaps Lange flashcards.

At this time I do NOT see myself using:
-Kaplan Qbank/Kaplan videos (you can only use so many resources and I do not want to drown)
-Firecracker/anki... I guess I'm just not hip enough since I barely understand what these even are and can surely do fine without them
-Goljan/RR.... I mean I already will be using Pathoma and I also have Red Robbins (question book). I also bought Clinical Pathophys Made Ridic Simple. I can't use EVERYTHING...

The amount of resources out there is incredible :bookworm: :beaver: :bear:
I am not sure what I will need to review Biochem (I depended entirely on my class lectures/wikipedia during M1). For anatomy I may use Chung's (BRS) since I have not touched that yet (During M1 I used Michigan Q's, Clinical Anatomy Made Ridic Simple, Netter's Atlas). For Neuro I will definitely go back over Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridic Simple (that book is freakin' gold)

I wish all this were over. Ah well. Almost time to roll up the sleeves. :inpain: :meh:

I agree that you have a good plan overall. One suggestion I have though is to use the goljan audio tapes online and listen to them when you are in the car or working out. I found them tremendously helpful for step 1 and also it is taking advantage of time that you otherwise would not have capitalized on. I did pathoma throughout m2 but still like goljan in the car the spring before my exam... Good luck!

I've got about 2 weeks left before school starts. At this point im just finishing up some research obligations and relaxing. I'm waiting to buy Rx till I see that $129 deal again and plan on using it along with firecracker throughout the school year.

I've got about 2 weeks left before school starts. At this point im just finishing up some research obligations and relaxing. I'm waiting to buy Rx till I see that $129 deal again and plan on using it along with firecracker throughout the school year.
Yep a discount code would be very nice :) Also if you haven't purchased Pathoma yet, he offers a free trial where you can watch 6 of his videos! Definitely check it out before you commit.

Yep a discount code would be very nice :) Also if you haven't purchased Pathoma yet, he offers a free trial where you can watch 6 of his videos! Definitely check it out before you commit.

I used some during M1, they were great! My class has the videos downloaded which just get passed down...

I want to try to watch them all while taking good notes by the end of 1st term so that I dont have to go back to the videos during other passes.

I seem to be setting a hefty goal for 1st term with 1 pass of FA & Pathoma, and use of Firecraker and Rx. All while trying to stay on top of class material lol. I hope I can keep up with it!

I seem to be setting a hefty goal for 1st term with 1 pass of FA & Pathoma, and use of Firecraker and Rx. All while trying to stay on top of class material lol. I hope I can keep up with it!

I hear you on hefty goals. In addition to keeping up with coursework on a daily basis, I'm hoping to flag 5 topics of FC daily and work through a chapter of Pathoma per week. Needless to say, it will take a lot of work and discipline.

I hear you on hefty goals. In addition to keeping up with coursework on a daily basis, I'm hoping to flag 5 topics of FC daily and work through a chapter of Pathoma per week. Needless to say, it will take a lot of work and discipline.

Amen on the discipline! I was a class goer all throughout M1 but I think I'm going to be using our recording system starting next year. I think it will help me break up my day so that I'm not in class 8 hrs a day then be so tired that I dont feel like doing any board prep stuff.

Personally speaking, I'm not the smartest guy on the block but I am where I am due to hard work. I want to make sure I put in the necessary time and work for boards. Im not shooting for a competitive specialty but I still need to do well for IM spot in an academic setting.

Amen on the discipline! I was a class goer all throughout M1 but I think I'm going to be using our recording system starting next year. I think it will help me break up my day so that I'm not in class 8 hrs a day then be so tired that I dont feel like doing any board prep stuff.

Personally speaking, I'm not the smartest guy on the block but I am where I am due to hard work. I want to make sure I put in the necessary time and work for boards. Im not shooting for a competitive specialty but I still need to do well for IM spot in an academic setting.

We recently started back up, and I'm still going to class. I learned after much experimentation last year that I just lack the self-discipline to plow through the material on my own time. More power to you, though, if you can make do with recordings. I'm sure it will keep you from burning out, since you won't be juggling 8 hours in class, study time after class, and then boards studying on top of that.

As for me, I'm not sure how to breakdown the amount of time spent studying for coursework and the amount of time to dedicate to boards. I fall into the camp that believes if you learn the material well the first time, then it makes studying for boards easier. So, I'm leaning more towards prioritizing classes during the week (while still keeping up with daily FC reviews) and using Friday and the weekends to make headway into Pathoma and flagging new FC topics. We'll see how it goes.

We recently started back up, and I'm still going to class. I learned after much experimentation last year that I just lack the self-discipline to plow through the material on my own time. More power to you, though, if you can make do with recordings. I'm sure it will keep you from burning out, since you won't be juggling 8 hours in class, study time after class, and then boards studying on top of that.

As for me, I'm not sure how to breakdown the amount of time spent studying for coursework and the amount of time to dedicate to boards. I fall into the camp that believes if you learn the material well the first time, then it makes studying for boards easier. So, I'm leaning more towards prioritizing classes during the week (while still keeping up with daily FC reviews) and using Friday and the weekends to make headway into Pathoma and flagging new FC topics. We'll see how it goes.

I feel you man. My problem with recording system is that I tend to write EVERY SINGLE WORD DOWN which ends up turning a 1hr lecture into a 2-2.5 hr lecture. I dont have time to do this when I go to class so I focus on picking up the main points. My goal first few weeks is going to be to learn that for recording system.

I sat down the other day and tried to make a schedule for myself. Here it is as a reference

Weekday schedule

7:00 AM - Wake up

8:00 -9 AM - FireCraker

9 AM - Get to Campus

9 - 12 PM - Class work

12 - 2 PM - Lunch/FA

2 - 5 PM - Class work

5 - 7 PM - Workout/shower/eat/nap/tv

7 PM - Back on campus

7 - 11 PM - Class work

11 - 12 AM - USMLE Rx

12 AM - Sleep

This breaks down to sleep: 7hrs, Classwork: 10 hrs, Board Prep: 4 hrs, and Relax/workout time: 2hrs.

I have found that if I have a schedule, Im more likely to stick to it. It doesn't mean I'll do everything I have planned for everyday. Actually, I can guarantee that I wont stick to fully. BUT it's something to strive for...

Hope it helps you.

I feel you man. My problem with recording system is that I tend to write EVERY SINGLE WORD DOWN which ends up turning a 1hr lecture into a 2-2.5 hr lecture. I dont have time to do this when I go to class so I focus on picking up the main points. My goal first few weeks is going to be to learn that for recording system.

I sat down the other day and tried to make a schedule for myself. Here it is as a reference

This breaks down to sleep: 7hrs, Classwork: 10 hrs, Board Prep: 4 hrs, and Relax/workout time: 2hrs.

I have found that if I have a schedule, Im more likely to stick to it. It doesn't mean I'll do everything I have planned for everyday. Actually, I can guarantee that I wont stick to fully. BUT it's something to strive for...

Hope it helps you.

I am unsure of how reviewing FA every day for an hour or so will be helpful when you haven't learned a majority of the topics. To me, this would be better placed second semester when you have tackled a little more information. Additionally, I do not know if it will be beneficial to spend 14 hours a day studying... I don't know about you, but my productivity typically dives after 6-8 hours during a non-exam week. But then again, some people "study for 10 hours" when they only do 3 hours of actual work.

My understanding is that using pathoma in conjunction with pathology lectures is really helpful. Additionally, FA is heavily used towards the latter part of second year, and UWorld is essential to get you thinking in the STEP frame of mind.

Also, I believe asking advice from the class above you will be super helpful. They know where the curriculum is lacking and the best way of meshing your school's coursework with board prep.

Whats up everyone? Any International Medical Students participating in this thread? Im about to finish my second year at Ross and start my Step 1 prep

Weekday schedule

7:00 AM - Wake up

8:00 -9 AM - FireCraker

9 AM - Get to Campus

9 - 12 PM - Class work

12 - 2 PM - Lunch/FA

2 - 5 PM - Class work

5 - 7 PM - Workout/shower/eat/nap/tv

7 PM - Back on campus

7 - 11 PM - Class work

11 - 12 AM - USMLE Rx

12 AM - Sleep

Hope it helps you.

intense schedule. the one thing I would say is I'm not sure if you need to necessarily schedule a block of time for firecracker. my personal experience from trying it out this summer, is you can do quite a bit in just the down time you have here or there, walking between places, waiting for food, etc. also, it might be better to do a question goal, rather than timing goal, but just my 2 cents. still trying to figure out how to tackle this beast myself.

the group....died. lol

Im still around :)

Now is when the real studying starts!!!

Got my schedule set up for 1st pass and have a tentative date in mind (Mid June).

How's everyone else doing? At my school, most people start the process of studying in Jan.

intense schedule. the one thing I would say is I'm not sure if you need to necessarily schedule a block of time for firecracker. my personal experience from trying it out this summer, is you can do quite a bit in just the down time you have here or there, walking between places, waiting for food, etc. also, it might be better to do a question goal, rather than timing goal, but just my 2 cents. still trying to figure out how to tackle this beast myself.

By the way, I did none of the things I said I was going to do in my previous schedule lol.

Right now I'm just trying to review chapters 1, 2, 3, and 7 in Pathoma, just to get the basics down again....I haven't touched that stuff in a year and every other section pretty much depends on those. I figured it'd be a good place to start! :)

I really like the schedule posted by @gobigorgohome22. Thanks for sharing that, totally going to use it. I don't use Firecracker, but i do use Anki. Probably going to work out in the AM and use Anki afterwards in place of FC.

good to hear from everyone. I'm doing alot of firecracker. I did try some firecracker in the summer (despite all the advice not to). Personally, I liked it and wish I had done more to be honest. I completely mastered the subject I chose to firecracker over the summer and wish my grasp was as good for the other subjects. Other than than that trying to finalize kinks in my schedule. I am testing in Mayish and already feel like there is not enough time

Good to hear from you all. I'm testing late May. Planning on going through first aid by using their Flash facts cards in the next month and then doing questions. Not sure how it's gonna work out because we still got school stuff to take care of.

good to hear from everyone. I'm doing alot of firecracker. I did try some firecracker in the summer (despite all the advice not to). Personally, I liked it and wish I had done more to be honest. I completely mastered the subject I chose to firecracker over the summer and wish my grasp was as good for the other subjects. Other than than that trying to finalize kinks in my schedule. I am testing in Mayish and already feel like there is not enough time

I feel the same way! Im planning on testing in mid June already starting to get that test anxiety. I also really like firecracker and plan on using it through out my study. I was thinking like maybe 2hrs a day of firecracker. Im getting nervous about handling course load while trying to study. School doesnt really get easier for us till around may so it seems like its going to be hard to juggle both.

If I'm doing my test at the end of may, would 4-6 pages/day of FA be a reasonable amount, or should I be bumping it up?

If I'm doing my test at the end of may, would 4-6 pages/day of FA be a reasonable amount, or should I be bumping it up?
There are about 620 pages total to read in FA 2016. If you do on average of 5 pages a day, it'll take you 124 days (roughly 4 months) to finish first pass. Assuming if you have 4 weeks of dedicated study and if you finish first pass by mid or late April, I'll think that you'll be fine.

i also did firecracker in the summer. i did so much firecracker this fall, they sent me a T-shirt for christmas. however, i use it more as a reference.

wow everyone is in the late spring or summer?

My date is February 29th :(
I am so sorry.... have you started UWorld yet??

I'll be testing in around 6(EDIT:5!) months (choosing a date next week)

Last edited:
wow everyone is in the late spring or summer?

My date is February 29th :(

Think of it this way, you'll be done with this stupid test and it wont be eating your whole life in just a month! While the rest of us have anxiety attacks for the next ~6 months every 5 min.

Have you done practice tests? If so how are you doing on them? You'll be the first of us to take the test so please be sure to let us know how it goes!

We're all cheering for you!!!!

Think of it this way, you'll be done with this stupid test and it wont be eating your whole life in just a month! While the rest of us have anxiety attacks for the next ~6 months every 5 min.

Have you done practice tests? If so how are you doing on them? You'll be the first of us to take the test so please be sure to let us know how it goes!

We're all cheering for you!!!!

I've taken some diagnostics but I was going to take some practice tests probably this coming week. My research has been taking up a lot of my time.

thank you!!!!!! I appreciate it.