Class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same, first and only away of the year in NYC, never been here befote amd feeling like im about to get super overwhelmed. Well, thats what I wanted...

Members don't see this ad.

Last (and probably most important) letter came in today!

I guess I'll still ask for a courtesy one on this rotation even though it's a little too late for the timeframe.

Last (and probably most important) letter came in today!

I guess I'll still ask for a courtesy one on this rotation even though it's a little too late for the timeframe.

Congrats on the last letter! Its so painful waiting for those.

I have been thinking about the LOR issue when doing an important rotation in Oct. At this point, my app is complete and submitted. I seriously don't want to deal with it. Also, I assume that ppl realize its Oct and apps are already in. My intention is to not ask for one but tell them this upfront so they don't think I'm hating on them when I don't ask. But I'm doing peds and it tends to have less pomp and circumstance. It is different for surgical sub-specialties?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the last letter! Its so painful waiting for those.

I have been thinking about the LOR issue when doing an important rotation in Oct. At this point, my app is complete and submitted. I seriously don't want to deal with it. Also, I assume that ppl realize its Oct and apps are already in. My intention is to not ask for one but tell them this upfront so they don't think I'm hating on them when I don't ask. But I'm doing peds and it tends to have less pomp and circumstance. It is different for surgical sub-specialties?

I am getting one for the rotation I just finished more as an indicator to any programs that inquires about my aways and whether letters resulted from it than out of need for a letter.
The letter will be uploaded and available, and I am debating whether I should replace one of my letters (my only non-chairman letter) with this one.

Letters are a pretty big deal for ENT.

I am getting one for the rotation I just finished more as an indicator to any programs that inquires about my aways and whether letters resulted from it than out of need for a letter.
The letter will be uploaded and available, and I am debating whether I should replace one of my letters (my only non-chairman letter) with this one.

Letters are a pretty big deal for ENT.

Letters are a huge deal for me too and were my biggest problem.

Got a chairman letter from first away, assistant professor and vice chair letters from second away. I would like to get one from here but won't be done until October 18th and nobody really knows the people here anyway. Name recognition is big. My rotation here is mostly for this program.

I think I'll go with your idea and get it and upload it. Almost all my programs have all my letter slots filled though.

Just stopping by in what seems like forever and saying hi! You-(hopefully...maybe?)-know-who and I are excited to be doing couples match! I'm at his school right now doing an away rotation. Figuring out what programs to apply to was a b*tch. Glad we've it to 4th year and through ERAS with some sanity left!

Just stopping by in what seems like forever and saying hi! You-(hopefully...maybe?)-know-who and I are excited to be doing couples match! I'm at his school right now doing an away rotation. Figuring out what programs to apply to was a b*tch. Glad we've it to 4th year and through ERAS with some sanity left!

Wow - that's awesome! Oh to look back and see where it all began (kind of)... :laugh:

I think MSPE was released today. Hopefully that means some interview invites will be coming out soon. Really enjoying my current away, but 18 days left until I go home for good!

Passed that stupid Step 2 CS!

I congratulate all of y'all that also passed and are done with this whole testing thing!

:thumbup:

Yup, I speak English like a champ.

Now, I gotta figure out why I want to interview at duke and write them a love letter I suppose.

Now, I gotta figure out why I want to interview at duke and write them a love letter I suppose.
CS done and over with.
Didn't apply to Duke. My reaction to hearing about their requirement for an interview invite:
tumblr_lrdoqjrELh1r2hybuo1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite to Duke... but we don'e have any special extra requirements (as far as I can see)!

Yay Emergency Medicine :cool:

Last week of aways. I love my field and I love this place, but I'm so ready to be done with this and go home.

I only did one away rotation and I was already getting homesick for my own school and hospital.

Feel free to comment on this situation.

My wife and in-laws are going to Australia right after Thanksgiving. Jealous. Today they just invited me to go. This would require me missing 5 days of potential interview time, but I don't have any scheduled there now (and honestly it seems unlikely to me). I could most likely put any interviews not during that week.

I just talked to the place I'm rotating at now and they have two interviews, one scheduled while I would be in Australia and another in January when I'll be in lecture but I can probably make that up later.

What would you guys do? I'm leaning towards betting that I won't get any interviews that week and accepting an all-expenses paid trip to Australia. This won't happen again.

Thoughts? Advice much appreciated.

My wife and in-laws are going to Australia right after Thanksgiving. Jealous. Today they just invited me to go. This would require me missing 5 days of potential interview time, but I don't have any scheduled there now (and honestly it seems unlikely to me). I could most likely put any interviews not during that week.

I just talked to the place I'm rotating at now and they have two interviews, one scheduled while I would be in Australia and another in January when I'll be in lecture but I can probably make that up later.

What would you guys do? I'm leaning towards betting that I won't get any interviews that week and accepting an all-expenses paid trip to Australia. This won't happen again.

Unless it will seriously mess up your schedule, and it sounds like it will not, go to Australia. I am trying to keep 5-7 days open if possible to visit [some cool location].

I would say go to Australia. Looking at my own schedule, that week is very light. I think you'd be safe.
Have fun aussie-ing it up :)

Hope everybody is racking up the interviews so far. I'm sitting by my computer waiting this week since I'm off.

Next week I start my AI, so then I'll be a little more occupied.

Hope everybody is racking up the interviews so far. I'm sitting by my computer waiting this week since I'm off.

I have my home school interview on Friday. Got ma hair did today :D
Collected an interview invite here and there...a couple of anticlimactic rejections too lol

Currently scheduled for a couple more than I can feasibly attend. Not sure which to cancel. It's a good problem.

Met- I would definitely go to Australia. This is a rare and amazing opportunity and you know you'll have a blast. On the other hand, you don't know for sure how many interviews may potentially be that week. You deserve a vacation.

Hanging out with Rad Oncs for next two weeks. Today was fun. One of them might actually buy one of my paintings lol. Makin dem dallah billzzzz

First flights booked $460 down the hole for the 2 interviews.

No reasonable flight prices for one of them so I'll just be making the 7.5 hour drive instead :/ .

What do you paint??
Portraits are my favorite but I also like still lifes. Acrylics, oils....

On a less fun note: today sucked. Outright 2 rejections and a waitlist. And a presumed rejection from my dream school. Merry Christmas to me.

If getting a bunch of rejections makes today a Black Thursday, then I had a Blue Thursday.

Tons of interviews sent out today (~40-50% of programs I haven't heard from) and I got none. But no rejections.

If getting a bunch of rejections makes today a Black Thursday, then I had a Blue Thursday.

Tons of interviews sent out today (~40-50% of programs I haven't heard from) and I got none. But no rejections.
Ugh I am sorry man, do Rad Onc programs send invites in waves or all at once?
Last friday and yesterday were freaking terrible but I am still alive. You are going to make it through this.
Tomorrow is my last day of Rad Onc, thank goodness, tracing blobs that are tiny bit darker/lighter than the surrounding blobs is really not my idea of fun. Also, were treating a patient with Buschke Lowenstein tumor....icky.

For other ENT nerds, guess who I got to meet today :D

Staying with Taty (Wed PM-Sat AM) for my interview in NO next week booyah bitchez! Met, are you going to be around?

I think I got 4 rejections in one day a few weeks ago.

s
Staying with Taty (Wed PM-Sat AM) for my interview in NO next week booyah bitchez! Met, are you going to be around?

I think I got 4 rejections in one day a few weeks ago.
speaking of which...you, met, mayyyybe mcsexy and I should go have dinner on Thurs or something. I am workign in the ED every other night lol.
What a terrible hostess.

s

speaking of which...you, met, mayyyybe mcsexy and I should go have dinner on Thurs or something. I am workign in the ED every other night lol.
What a terrible hostess.

I'm so jealy. I haven't seen you three in forever and FloatOn ever. Have some yummy Cajun food for me.

mayyyybe mcsexy .

Ha. I would be down. Unfortunately, I have other plans that evening. My brother is playing at the House of Blues so that's where I'll be. I will definitely be watching soccer Fri. afternoon before hitting up dinner with some of the SO's friends.

Taty was a wonderful hostess with the mostess during my stay in New Orleans last week. We went out to lunch and I am now bffs with her cat. I also had dinner with met and his wife at a lovely seafood restaurant (Seafood Superior), then drinks at a local bar. I loved the residency program and the hospitality throughout my trip!

ksmi and McSexy- I'll let you know if I'm ever in New Orleans again in the near future!

Sooooo Floaty if I didn't know any better I'd say you like my unlady-like cat more than you like me! And I have a thank you card to prove it :p
Haha

Guess I'll bring this back from the dead.

How's everybody's interviews going? I've only done two so far and I'm tired. Doesn't help that I had to drive to one after flying back from Australia the day before.

I've been off rotations for a little over 2 weeks and have totally forgotten what it's like to work in the hospital already.

Guess I'll bring this back from the dead.

How's everybody's interviews going? I've only done two so far and I'm tired. Doesn't help that I had to drive to one after flying back from Australia the day before.

I've been off rotations for a little over 2 weeks and have totally forgotten what it's like to work in the hospital already.

Man, I hope you had a great Australia trip. I'm sorry you had to come back to real life.

I'm on the tail end of the interview trail. A couple more to go. Then I'm going to take a long nap.

No more interviews for a month. Just a mixed ICU/ER rotation over what should be Christmas break. It seemed like a good idea at the time signing up for it now (it's mandatory) to avoid it messing up my aways or end of year fun times, but it would be nice to not have to work in the ICU/ER all through fun holiday times.

At least they let us have Christmas and New Years' Eve/Day off.

Man, Penn interview was a bear (but kind of super fun....I am weird).
How is everyone surviving?