Air Force Civilian physician getting job near military spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boneboulderer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My SO and I are both residents, myself in Ortho, them in peds. We are the same year in residency -- we are also living a state apart currently during our training.

Obviously, my SO will finish peds residency 2 years before I do and will be be stationed somewhere -- the location of which we have no idea about yet. Given that we're going to go 5 years apart, I would like to do my best to ensure that it's just 5 years, and no more. I have a few questions I was hoping someone with experience, either personal or a "friend of a friend", could answer for me.

1) First -- how much will the AF take into account my very inflexible location when deciding my SO's assignment location? We are not currently married but will be well before assignments are decided. There are no bases in the state I live, and very few close by -- but a 2 hour direct flight to see eachother is much different than a 6 hour trip with a connection when I won't get off until Friday evenings and have to be back Monday morning.

2) How long are assignments lasting on average now? At least for their initial 4 year HPSP repayment, will that likely be spent at 1 base?

3) From what I understand, just like the civilian world, orthopedics is in demand in the military -- are there any easy or difficult ways to hire on as a military contractor at or near where ever my SO is stationed?

4) Worst case scenario -- I attempt to get a civilian job at or near where my SO is stationed. Thankfully, most bases are in the middle of no where -- and most places in the middle of nowhere have a significant need for an orthopod. My fear about this is not knowing where they will be placed until my 3rd-4th year, giving me little time to reach out to practices in those areas. Bigger fear -- that there's no jobs available.

Appreciate anyones helps or experiences. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) From an official standpoint, the AF isn't going to give a flying **** about your location or inflexibility. If you are married, then there is a small chance that a sympathetic consultant may identify the utility in putting a pediatrician in a location that could also benefit from an orthopedic surgeon. There are a number of issues with this - 1) consultants aren't necessarily sympathetic, 2) this consideration will be quite low on the priority list, 3) this move relies on a number of assumptions, and 4) you would only overlap for two years anyway. The bottom line is that you cannot assume that the AF cares one iota, because they almost certainly won't.

2) Standard CONUS assignments are typically for three years. If someone's ADSO is four years, then it's common for that person to simply extend for the last year before separating. Accepting new orders typically carries a service obligation, so make sure you read the fine print if your SO chooses to PCS.

3) There are lots of civilian physicians who work for the DoD. Whether or not you can get such a position collocated with your SO will depend on whether such a position exists and is open at the relevant location. Obviously, your attractiveness as an applicant matters too, but we're assuming that the job is otherwise unattractive.

4) I'm not sure what your question is here. I don't know a ton about the ortho job market, but it strikes me as unusual for a practice to need more than a year to consider you, or anyone else, as a job applicant. Whether or not they would hire you, particularly as a temporary hire, ostensibly, is entirely dependent on the particulars of the local market.

Reactions: 1 user
not much to add to @colbgw02's post. the .mil does not give 2 sh*ts about civilian spouses.

I knew a resident in the same situation you are. she was AF, he was civilian, and while he was in a major metropolitan market there were no AF bases close to him to attempt to co-locate. they ended up working out flying to see each other when their schedules allowed. as an attending your SO's schedule will likely be more amenable to travel. so if you can't get an ortho job near your SO's duty station, this is a viable option.

this doesn't guarantee he/she won't be sent to japan or something, but it at least gives you guys a plan to shoot for. I'd open the dialogue with the consultant to see what the lay of the land is-- keeping in mind they are under no obligations to accommodate you or even keep any promises they may make.

--your friendly neighborhood get those frequent flier miles going caveman

Members don't see this ad :)
Like said previously don't count on getting your SO assigned near you. The military view is that civilian spouses follow service members not the other way around. You two likely will be separated during your SO's payback. Possible option would be for you to either get a job near her nest duty station or just do locums so you can be together.

The .mil doesn't care about your job or location. It's not easy to hear but it's reality.

1) From an official standpoint, the AF isn't going to give a flying **** about your location or inflexibility. If you are married, then there is a small chance that a sympathetic consultant may identify the utility in putting a pediatrician in a location that could also benefit from an orthopedic surgeon. There are a number of issues with this - 1) consultants aren't necessarily sympathetic, 2) this consideration will be quite low on the priority list, 3) this move relies on a number of assumptions, and 4) you would only overlap for two years anyway. The bottom line is that you cannot assume that the AF cares one iota, because they almost certainly won't.

2) Standard CONUS assignments are typically for three years. If someone's ADSO is four years, then it's common for that person to simply extend for the last year before separating. Accepting new orders typically carries a service obligation, so make sure you read the fine print if your SO chooses to PCS.

3) There are lots of civilian physicians who work for the DoD. Whether or not you can get such a position collocated with your SO will depend on whether such a position exists and is open at the relevant location. Obviously, your attractiveness as an applicant matters too, but we're assuming that the job is otherwise unattractive.

4) I'm not sure what your question is here. I don't know a ton about the ortho job market, but it strikes me as unusual for a practice to need more than a year to consider you, or anyone else, as a job applicant. Whether or not they would hire you, particularly as a temporary hire, ostensibly, is entirely dependent on the particulars of the local market.

Yeah, after getting split up for residency we're already well aware about where the AF's priorities are, just trying to get a grasp on what our options are. Given that my SO has no prior service, it's unlikely they'll be chosen for an OCONUS position, and more likely will be put some place like Minot, ND, for example. What I was curious about is the options for me to co-locate where they are and work as an orthopedic surgeon -- it's something I'd be willing to sign a commitment for if anything exists, either as a contractor or as active duty.

Click here: MTF Locator

That is a list of all Air Force locations were pediatricians can be assigned. Minot is no where to be found.

unless something has changed they should have pediatricians there. one of my residency colleagues spent 3-4 years there. no inpatient, so it actually wasn't too bad (other than the isolation). they may have gone totally civilian or something. I entered "minot" into your search page and it popped up. doesn't mean it's a billet but they definitely have peds.

-- your friendly neighborhood they make babies everywhere caveman

I was using Minot more as an example as the type of base that my SO is likely to get sent fresh out of residency, which thankfully, is the kid of place where I am most likely to find a job as a general orthopedic surgeon.

What I'm still curious about if there's any way to either contract, or enlist, and be able to co-locate with my SO. Who would I need to talk to to find out more information about that? I fear a regular ol' recruiter would know next to jack **** about this kind of situation.

I was using Minot more as an example as the type of base that my SO is likely to get sent fresh out of residency, which thankfully, is the kid of place where I am most likely to find a job as a general orthopedic surgeon.

What I'm still curious about if there's any way to either contract, or enlist, and be able to co-locate with my SO. Who would I need to talk to to find out more information about that? I fear a regular ol' recruiter would know next to jack **** about this kind of situation.
I'm not aware of a commission with a "can't make me leave X" clause

You might be stuck waiting until they get their orders