Civilian OMFS After HPSP Payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isittoolate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question to you all: has anyone successfully applied to OMFS residency after HPSP payback?

Currently, I have 2 years of HPSP payback left. AF OMFS is not very attractive to me due to the extensive ADSC.

I thoroughly enjoyed my AF AEGD, specifically teeth and titanium, and found myself desiring more surgery.

Any tips and tricks to studying for the CBSE, if an externship is recommended, and best timing for application?

Ideally I would like to start the process this August and shoot for taking the CBSE in the Feb/Mar testing dates.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First thing you need to do is determine when your commitment actually ends. It’s very possible that you may find it’s after the July 1st start date of all residencies.

First thing you need to do is determine when your commitment actually ends. It’s very possible that you may find it’s after the July 1st start date of all residencies.

Yes, good point! Thankfully, my ADSC ends in June 2021. So there will not be an issue there. If a program were to start before July 1st I think I could convince my current commander to let me take terminal for a few weeks if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think externships are highly recommended if not required, i was wondering how you would be able to do those post dental school

I think externships are highly recommended if not required, i was wondering how you would be able to do those post dental school
I am not sure if they would count our rotations in AEGD. I did 12 weeks on OS rotation where it was 2-3 cases of IV sed per day for thirds/implants and one or two cases per week assisting in the OR for orthognathic cases. I have the opportunity for the AF 3 week exodontia course, but that is fairly insignificant in terms of cases from what I have heard.

I am not sure if they would count our rotations in AEGD. I did 12 weeks on OS rotation where it was 2-3 cases of IV sed per day for thirds/implants and one or two cases per week assisting in the OR for orthognathic cases. I have the opportunity for the AF 3 week exodontia course, but that is fairly insignificant in terms of cases from what I have heard.

No, they don’t count that. Do actual externships.

Yes, good point! Thankfully, my ADSC ends in June 2021. So there will not be an issue there. If a program were to start before July 1st I think I could convince my current commander to let me take terminal for a few weeks if necessary.
How did you manage to pull that off?
Did you account for the last year of incentive pay contract?

Last edited:
This is the guidance for air force

"Officers planning to retire/separate with less than 12 months of retainability following the expiration of a multi-year contract and prior to a desired retirement/separation date (not based on a mandatory date of separation/retirement) will lose pay. In order not to lose pay, the officer must sign a single year IP contract and agree to at least 1 (one) additional year of retainability. Officer will not receive IP unless they sign a contract."

Seems to suggest that the IP contract would extend your ADSO. Hopefully with the new DHA, the Air Force would standardize this part with the Navy too. Otherwise this does seem like a problem for people wanting to enter a civilian residency after separation