citizen/green card required for license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marchmagnolia

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just recently found out that you need to be a citizen/green card holder in order to get licensed in New York. Is that the case in other states as well?

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pharm/pharmlic.htm

I did read up a bit about the TN visa status (NAFTA) that would allow me to work without a H1B visa, but there's no way I could practice without a license.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't think that's the case cuz couple of years back I was up north getting info from a bunch of pharmacy sites for my rotations. Some of the pharmacists that I spoke to live on the other side of the border. I'm pretty sure they're Canadian. New York is kinda strict, you should try Washington, Idaho, Montana, Minnesota, esp. Vermont (pretty easy to be licensed and working in this state). Most New York Pharmacists would go to New Jersey or Vermont to get their licenses (the Wet Lab compounding portion of the exam that makes them stay away from New York, I heard). Good luck!