Cities with potential for growth-new grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMah54

Reaction score
Hi! Where is the best place to live as a new dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

Where the people are and the dentists aren’t. So if it’s a major city in any state, it’s not the answer.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where the people are and the dentists aren’t. So if it’s a major city in any state, it’s not the answer.
Most students are not going to like reading that lol

Reactions: 6 users
Heard of guys getting good offers in rural Indiana. West Idaho was BOOMING recently, but that bubble might be full now. I also know people on the South Jersey coast struggling to find new grads to replace the retiring docs. Wyoming was really hot a couple years ago, I think they’re still offering big money out there.

Reactions: 1 users
A place with a growing economy and positive net migration that aligns with your personal preferences.

Reactions: 3 users
Medium-sized cities seem to be hot right now. A lot of people are getting priced out of big coastal cities.

According to migration reports for 2022, Tennessee and the Carolinas had the highest inflow. This might explain why I keep getting ads for positions in Chattanooga all the way out here on the West Coast.

Reactions: 1 user
Look for growth.
That usually solves most problems for dentist. You don’t need to be where there’s no competition and you don’t necessarily need to idealize competition ratios. You do need a growing population. A shrinking populous is deadly for practices long term, so look where people are moving to, and where businesses are moving to. Also look at where they’re coming from.

For example, a lot of people are moving from the west coast to ID, AZ NV, TX and CO. They’re not really moving to OR, WA, CA.

You also went to look where you can afford. It’s awfully hard to get started in a very high cost of living area if you need to commute 60-90 minutes each way before you hit an area you can afford to live. Dentists can afford a place in most areas of the country, but there are some where our commute times get exceptionally long (CA, NY, WA)

Reactions: 1 user
1) Rural, military, or a dental underserved area. Pay off that debt.

2) Places least likely to be a disaster area due to climate change (Hurricanes or coastal losses; tornadoes, blizzards, and wildfires). I think that means Vermont. :)

3) Wherever your politics align with that of the state dental association.

The fastest growing states now are Texas, Arizona and Florida. Idaho and Montana are growing fast, but all have fewer dental schools for the size of it’s populations.

The Midwest and the Northeast are losing population and are historically where most d schools are.

If you are looking more specific locations. You can look up fastest growing cities/communities in the US by zip code.

78215 - San Antonio, Texas is the number 1 zip code for growth in the country.

Also, Zillow, Redfin, etc have reports on more in depth growth for new homes and communities. The data is there, you just have to look it up.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
The fastest growing states now are Texas, Arizona and Florida. Idaho and Montana are growing fast, but all have fewer dental schools for the size of it’s populations.

The Midwest and the Northeast are losing population and are historically where most d schools are.

If you are looking more specific locations. You can look up fastest growing cities/communities in the US by zip code.

78215 - San Antonio, Texas is the number 1 zip code for growth in the country.

Also, Zillow, Redfin, etc have reports on more in depth growth for new homes and communities. The data is there, you just have to look it up.
It's no surprise that the Sun Belt states are growing the fastest. Regarding TX in particular, it's the Texas Triangle I think that will see the most growth. ID/MT I think would be GREAT opportunities to live in (I said live, because you still have to live after you're done "practicing" for the day), or terrible places for others. It all depends on what a person desires in their environment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you practice in the Midwest? Regarding this population loss, I'm sure overall the numbers agree with you, but for the individual dentist (like you), does it really matter? Particularly for someone who's already established a patient base?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you practice in the Midwest? Regarding this population loss, I'm sure overall the numbers agree with you, but for the individual dentist (like you), does it really matter? Particularly for someone who's already established a patient base?
Yes, I’m in Ohio. Population loss doesn’t specifically matter to a seasoned dentist like me. But it would matter to me if I was looking for a location to open another office. I would target the areas of the state where the population is growing.

My state loses about 20k people a year. We actually lost a congressional seat at the US House as a result of that. Where Texas and Florida gained congressional seats. The best blue print to open a new office is expand on that information; blue collar v white collar or low socioeconomic communities, median age, number of schools, street traffic, crime data, city plans and investments, etc. Each piece of data points tells you more about a community.

There are other clues; if you see a lot of churches in a community, specially in an urban area, avoid it. If you see a lot of boost mobile or dollar stores, be wary. A lot of political signs? that’s a red flag. You can learn a lot from a community based on the businesses and services that are there too.

• Hmm
Yes, I’m in Ohio. Population loss doesn’t specifically matter to a seasoned dentist like me. But it would matter to me if I was looking for a location to open another office. I would target the areas of the state where the population is growing.

My state loses about 20k people a year. We actually lost a congressional seat at the US House as a result of that. Where Texas and Florida gained congressional seats. The best blue print to open a new office is expand on that information; blue collar v white collar or low socioeconomic communities, median age, number of schools, street traffic, crime data, city plans and investments, etc. Each piece of data points tells you more about a community.

There are other clues; if you see a lot of churches in a community, specially in an urban area, avoid it. If you see a lot of boost mobile or dollar stores, be wary. A lot of political signs? that’s a red flag. You can learn a lot from a community based on the businesses and services that are there too.
Do church people not have as much money for services?

• Haha
LOL. So avoid areas with a lot of churches and political signs. That eliminates a significant amount of the USA. I sort of get what cold front is saying. Growing and affluent areas may not have as much of that.

LOL. So avoid areas with a lot of churches and political signs. That eliminates a significant amount of the USA. I sort of get what cold front is saying. Growing and affluent areas may not have as much of that.
I don’t get that no churches thing

Look for a place with synagogues lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users